Understanding Your Pregnancy Options
When a woman discovers she is pregnant, her life will never be the same again no matter what choice she makes about her pregnancy. It is wise to take some time to get over the initial shock. Take steps to confirm your pregnancy by having an ultrasound, and then you can meet with a pregnancy counselor to discuss your situation. Consider writing down your thoughts, feelings, and fears about your available pregnancy options. Try to clarify your values, beliefs, and circumstances.
Read Tips for Making a Decision. Explore every possibility. You are welcome to call 1-800-672-2296 to discuss your options and for help finding a local options specialist.
Become a Parent
Being a parent is both challenging and rewarding. It is fascinating to observe and experience another life growing inside of you, gradually developing into a person with a unique personality, interests, and talents. As you learn how to love, guide, encourage and provide for this extension of yourself, keep in mind that one of your most essential needs as a parent is supporting.
In clarifying your situation and gaining perspective, ask yourself the following questions:
- If you are single, is marrying the father a possibility? Why or why not? Would the father consider pre-marital counseling? What type of support (financial, role model, childcare, etc.) is the father of the baby able to provide?
- Can family members help financially, with childcare or living arrangements, etc.?
- Could I live with family members or with another single mother?
- How could I share household responsibilities with those I live with?
- What would it take to live on my own with my baby?
- How can I attain my long term goals in order to make a better life for myself and my child?
- Would I consider applying for WIC, Medicaid, and/or other government assistance programs?
There is a wide range of adoption plans available, from closed adoptions to very open adoptions. Find out as much as possible about adoption so you can make an informed decision.
Adoption offers the following benefits:
- You can choose the adoptive family and control many details affecting the future of your child.
- You can determine the nature of your relationship with your child and the adoptive family.
- Adoptive parents are in a position to explain details of the adoption to the child at each stage of his/her development to help the child become a well-adjusted, successful person.
- At any point in the adoption process, you can decide to keep the child. Every state has different rules for adoption, but in most cases, adoptions are considered final when the child is six months old.
- Counseling, support groups, and other services enable affected individuals to work through the grieving process, sense of loss and other challenges that may develop.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What would be an ideal home for my child?
- What do I want to provide for my child?
- Is there anyone who has placed for adoption that I can contact?
- Have I called a pregnancy specialist by calling toll-free 1-800-672-2296 to learn about adoption and counseling services in my area?
Decisions about abortion are difficult, and each decision brings different challenges. Learning about the types of abortion procedures and their risks will help you make an informed decision.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I well informed about abortion procedures and their risks?
- Have I been tested for STD’s?
- What are the laws of my state in regard to abortion?
- Am I being pressured by anyone into having an abortion?
- Have I discussed abortion with a person who has had the experience?
- How have I viewed abortion in the past?
- How much do I know about the potential physical complications including those affecting relations and fertility?
- What do I know about the potential negative emotional impact of having an abortion?
- Am I aware of the relationship between abortion and breast cancer?
More Helpful Articles:
- Abortion Procedures
- Possible Physical Side Effects After Abortion
- Types of Parenting
- Benefits of Adoption
- Financial Assistance for Adoption