Abortion Follow Up Care: Appointments and Procedures
Most clinics will schedule a follow-up appointment with you or encourage you to see your primary doctor after your abortion. It is important to keep your follow-up appointment in order to help prevent possible infections. Your doctor will give you instructions on how to care for yourself after your abortion.
Be sure that you carefully follow your doctor’s instructions. Your period should return about 4-6 weeks after the abortion, and be aware that you can get pregnant again soon after the abortion. If you need emotional care, call our helpline 1-800-672-2296.
Procedures for Preventing Infection
- Finish any prescribed antibiotics
- Avoid inserting anything into your vagina such as a tampon or douche
- Avoid vaginal intercourse
- Take showers instead of baths
Common side effects of abortion include:
Call your doctor and seek medical attention immediately if your side effects become severe or if you experience any of the following:
- Severe abdominal and back pain that interferes with your ability to stand up
- Bleeding that is heavier than a normal menstrual period or bleeding that is filling more than one pad an hour
- Foul-smelling discharge
- Fever above 100.4 F
- Continued symptoms of pregnancy
More Helpful Articles:
Compiled using information from the following sources:
1. MedlinePlus [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); [updated 2006 Feb 24]. Abortion; [updated 2006 Feb 21; reviewed 2006 Feb 21; cited 2006 Feb 24].
2. Current Obstetric & Gynecologic Diagnosis & Treatment-Ninth Ed. DeCherney, Alan H., et al, Ch. 33.