Pregnant! Now What?
Ok! Reality has sunk in and your wrapping your head around the fact that you are growing a human. There are so many people feeding you information about what is healthy for you.
Let’s be real, what works for some may not work for others. Why? Because all of our bodies are different. We all are lacking in different nutrients. We all have a genetic makeup completely different than anyone. We all process foods differently as well.
As a child, I have always been thin. Go ahead roll your eyes but stay with me. By the time I got to college, my freshman 20-lbs hit me like a ton of bricks. I was eating fast food 2-3 times a day, not getting enough sleep and drinking energy drinks to get me through the day. I cringe even thinking about how poorly I was treating my body.
When we learned that we were having our first baby, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I had to make a change. It was no longer about me. The fear of bringing an unhealthy baby into the world hung over me like a dark cloud.
Mr. Right, being the funny guy that he is, brought me home a book one day. As I took the book out of the bag and read the title “Skinny Bitch” I laughed so hard. I had gotten so much grief for so long about my ability to stay thin and this was hilarious. What I didn’t realize was how much this book was going to change my life and I am excited to share tips to make more mommas have healthier pregnancies and lives.
This is not an opportune time to indulge and eat whatever you want, every choice will have consequences – good or bad.
Here are some changes that will improve your health dramatically:
- Take a reliable prenatal vitamin. The American Pregnancy Association recommends Nordic Naturals.
- Exercise regularly (walking, yoga or anything your body is used too)
- Drink large amounts of water daily
- No alcohol, drugs or tobacco
- Limit caffeine intake (tea, coffee, etc)
- No more sugary sweetened beverages (sodas, sweet tea, energy drinks) This is crucial…check out my blog post to see why sugar is the devil and your so much better off when you avoid it .
- Limit processed food dramatically (anything that comes in a box or is super convenient to make or eat is your enemy). Research links a high- processed food diet to many health issues including: obesity, diabetes, asthma, and so many others. I will cover this in depth in another post – stay tuned!
- Get plenty of rest and soak up some sunshine for some high-quality and extremely beneficial Vitamin D (in moderation of course)! So lay out by the pool, rock your two piece and chug some aqua!
That’s easy, right? HAHAH. No, it is not easy at all. It’s totally natural to will feel like your world is turned upside down, because well, it has been turned upside down. The good news is – You’ve GOT THIS! I mean it! Believe it!
Welcome to this new chapter in your life, embrace the journey and don’t sell yourself short! You are growing a human! That makes you AMAZING and you deserve the best!