Adoption is a life-changing experience that can have an incredible impact on everyone involved in the process. Not only does it benefit the adoptive parents, who have often tried for years to add to their families, but also the birth parents and, most importantly, the adopted child.
Whether you are facing an unplanned pregnancy or struggling to add to your family, there are countless reasons to consider adoption. Here, learn more about the benefits of adoption so you can make an informed decision about what is right for you and your family.
Adoption Benefits the Birth Mother and Birth Father
For many birth parents, choosing adoption is one of the most difficult decisions of a lifetime — but it can also provide countless benefits. For expectant mothers, adoption:
- Enables them to continue pursuing their goals without putting their education or career on hold.
- Relieves the financial and emotional stress of unplanned pregnancy and single parenting, and allows them to receive help with living expenses during their pregnancy.
- Provides assurance that their child will be raised by pre-screened adoptive parents who will provide a safe, stable, loving and nurturing home.
- Makes the dream come true for hopeful parents who would not be able to have a child otherwise.
- Gives them access to important services and resources, including professional counseling and support services, at no cost.
- Provides the option to stay in touch with the child through open or semi-open adoption.
- Offers access to a support group of birth mothers who will share their experiences with you.
- All legal expenses and attorney fees will be paid for you.
Adoption Benefits the Child
More than 90 percent of adopted children have positive feelings about their adoption. They understand that adoption is something special and that they are loved by their adoptive families as well as their birth parents. Adopted children:
- Are placed with families who have planned, prepared and have completed the home study process to ensure they are ready to provide a stable, loving home.
- Grow up with opportunities they may not have had otherwise, such as the chance to attend college.
- Know they are loved not only by their adoptive families, but also by the birth parents who selflessly placed them for adoption to provide them with a better life.
- Have better health, more one-on-one attention from their parents, and improved school performance compared to children in the general population according to studies.
Benefits for the Adoptive Family
Adopting parents are motivated to adopt by their dream to become parents. For these hopeful families, adoption:
- Enables them to become parents when they may not have been able to otherwise.
- Gives them the joyful opportunity to raise a child in need of a loving, stable home.
- Grants them the opportunity to observe and experience aspects of pregnancy and related experiences that would not otherwise be possible.
Today’s adoption options allow birth mothers and adoptive families to come together to make positive choices that not only benefit each other, but also their children, extended family members, neighbors, teachers, and anyone else who is touched by their adoption story.
More helpful articles:
- The Adoption Process for Birth Parents
- Financial Assistance for Adoption
- Adoption Options
- Adoption Questions to Ask Yourself