Having a pregnancy with one baby causes enough changes in your life— not to mention your body. It’s hard to imagine adding one,or two, or even more to the mix. However, many more women and familiesin America are managing more multiple pregnancies than ever before.According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the numberof twin births increased 74%, and the number of higher order multiples(twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc.) increased 5 fold from 1980 to2000. Most of this increase is due to women delaying their child bearingyears into their 30′s, and the rise in fertility treatments. So ifyou’ve found us because you feel like you may be giving birth to asmall litter, you are not alone. We hope this will begin a safe, enjoyablejourney to multiples.
Signs that I might be carrying more than one
- Rapid weight gain in the first trimester
- Uterus is larger than expected
- More severe or intense nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness orother pregnancy symptoms.
- Higher hCG levels
Complications I may be at risk for
- Preterm delivery
- Low birth weight
- Preeclampsia (high blood pressure)
Special considerations I should be aware of:
- Early prenatal care is imperative
- Early increased nutritional intake
- More frequent trips to your health care provider
- More ultrasounds may be needed
- Increased potential for bed rest
Please check back frequently for more detailed information on Multiplesin the weeks to come as we add more tips, tools and tricks of thetrade. We believe you will find the following links helpful as youbegin this amazing journey to multiples.