Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded pumping... tips, advice, and recommendations

Default The dreaded pumping... tips, advice, and recommendations

Please post all your lovely advice...

stephiegirl Guest

Rent a Hospital Grade pump! I was using the PIS and not having much success. I rented a Medela Symphony and it is wonderful. Even if you just rented one for a few months to build up your freezer supply!

alternate the speed of your pump to mimic baby's sucking action. if you use a pis start at a 6, once the milk starts flowing, go down to a 4. when it slows down, go back up to a 6, and so on. you should do this 3 times in a pumping session.

Try to do something besides *thinking* about pumping - like reading a book while you pump.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

Use a touch of olive oil to lube up the cone part where your nipple slides back and forth - good advice from my lactation consultant!
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/hopeturner/maya.jpg

Crunchymomto3 Guest

Power pump. 10 minutes pumping, 10 minute break, 10 minutes pumping, 10 minute break, 10 minutes pumping

Also, if concerned about supply if you are not already middle of the night pumping, set your alarm (if you need to) and pump every 3 hours for a week.

If the pump requires the mother to break the suction, it is because you are pumping too long apparently.

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/pumps101.html

Are you pumping too long?

Most moms should limit pumping to no more than 20 minutes at a time. Pumping for very long periods is more likely to make your nipples tender. Shorter, more frequent pumping sessions do more to increase and maintain supply than longer, less-frequent ones anyway.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/hopeturner/maya.jpg

bethadele Guest

Keep a bottle of water handy and look at a picture of your baby. It's amazing what looking at a pic of baby will do for your let down.

If you have a manual pump, try storing it in the fridge. I pump throughout the day to increase my supply for when I start donating my breastmilk and since I don't get a ton at each pumping (except the morning pumping), I store my pump in the fridge. The cold suction actually feels great on my nipples and helps to reduce the slight pain I get when I pumped. Just a thought!
    Mommy to Clara (2) and BW (5)

LuMo Guest

I had trouble with my Medela PIS getting water droplets in the tubing. I would wash the parts and let them air dry on the dish rack, but found that if I took a q-tip and wiped out the tiny crevices where the tubes attach at the back, it would decrease the water droplets going into the tubes (which mess up your suction and are a PAIN to dry out). Also buying a 2nd (or 3rd) set of valves, shields, etc. to use while your others are drying is a great idea if you are pumping several times a day.

I also had better luck with a hospital rental pump than the PIS.

Move the horns around a bit on your areola to be sure that you're stimulating and emptying all of the ducts.

Do not keep looking at the bottle to see how much you've pumped, if you are engaged with something else, the supply is better.

MamaJen Guest

I made myself a 'hands-free' nursing bra. I used a 'sport style' nursing bra, and cut slits in them for the horns to go in, that way I didn't need to hold them.

It was great for pumping at work - I just closed the door to my office and was able to continue to work. It helped with let-down as well as I wasn't sitting there holding the horns waiting for the milk. Like the saying goes - a watched pot never boils!

Hands free is the way to go :-)

I googled Hands Free Bustier and ordered one--best $30 I have ever spent!

imported_admin Guest

bmp

I HATE PUMPS

I read somewhere if you suddenly have a decrease in amount when pumping, get new membranes for your pump (the little white circle things that go in the bottle part)....I guess they break down over time and can get tiny little tears in them that decrease suction.
    Maggie (31), Mama to Mya (11/20/06) and Dash (8/4/08).

cjsmom Guest

Default pumping quesiton

I have a question that no one, including my doc seems to answer with a clear answer. I keep getting all breast feeding or nothing speach. So I'm looking for a judgement free/real knowledge from someone out there that has gone through this.

I'm on my second pregnancy. I tried breast feeding my first child and it was a nightmare, I have inverted nibbles and needed to wear some plastic device, I cracked, I bled even though I used the cream. I ended up with post pardum and life was not fun for me for a while. I ended up going to formula and a bottle with her.

I do not want to go that route again, but do want my next child to have the benefits of breast milk. I would like to pump from day one not even attaching my next child to the breast. I know I'm going to get such a hard time from the nurses that I don't want to breast feed, but no one has walked in my shoes. Anyway, I just want to know if anyone has pumped from day one and fed by a bottle without ever attaching baby?

Thanks

I did. I knew I was going back to work after 6 weeks plus my baby had some breathing problems and was not with me for the first 2 days. So I pumpped from the beginning. Don't feel bad! The most important thing is that your baby WILL get the breastmilk.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kasia

1/12

I want to go this route as well with number 2. I also had issues with flat nipples/cracking/pain with my DD and do NOT want to have to go through that again. My solution is going to be try to latch DS on at the hospital and pump and get him on a bottle as soon as i bring him home. I already got flak from one dr. because i said i just wanted to pump and rather than argue with every freakin nurse in the hospital i'll just do it my way!
    ~Kim~Kaylee~Kai~

MommaBear Guest

Bump!

Default Re: pumping quesiton

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmom
    I have a question that no one, including my doc seems to answer with a clear answer. I keep getting all breast feeding or nothing speach. So I'm looking for a judgement free/real knowledge from someone out there that has gone through this.

I'm on my second pregnancy. I tried breast feeding my first child and it was a nightmare, I have inverted nibbles and needed to wear some plastic device, I cracked, I bled even though I used the cream. I ended up with post pardum and life was not fun for me for a while. I ended up going to formula and a bottle with her.

I do not want to go that route again, but do want my next child to have the benefits of breast milk. I would like to pump from day one not even attaching my next child to the breast. I know I'm going to get such a hard time from the nurses that I don't want to breast feed, but no one has walked in my shoes. Anyway, I just want to know if anyone has pumped from day one and fed by a bottle without ever attaching baby?

Thanks
    I started out trying to BF but dd was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days with problems so I began to pump plus we were already having BFing issues. After 2 weeks of not being able to eat she was allowed to receive ebm. Well that's when the confusion began. In order for her to come home she had to eat x amount of ounces from a bottle x amount of times a day and the other times she could try to bf. So everytime we were going to bf I would call the LC to help over the course of 4 days and 2 LC's later it just wasn't working and she was having awful confusion with choking. When we got home I was going to pitch the bottle's and just do breast well before being released we were given a weight check day since she had already lost so much. The pedi told me basically if she didn't gain then they would have to discuss readmitting her for further watching to that scared me. I continued to pump and try the breast but in the end she had so much confusion that I exclusively pumped until she was 7 months when I had to have 2 surgeries. So yes 100% pumping can be done. It's not easy I would of much rather her of bf but she really didn't want to and fought me. So if it's what you want to do I say go for it!

Lore's Mama Guest

Quote Originally Posted by haydensmom
    Try to do something besides *thinking* about pumping - like reading a book while you pump.
    This doesn't work for me. If it doesn't for you, stare at the pump and watch the milk flow. Will it to flow faster. It works for me, and maybe for you, too.

Also, get comfy. For different people, comfiness is different! I, for instance, find that spreading my legs and putting my head/pump parts down between my knees is the best position while others most likely feel differently.

Just find out what works for you and fly with it.

MommaBear Guest

Bump! Pouring a glass of milk and leaving it out in view while you pump can also be helpful, for those who have difficulty thinking milky thoughts (visualization).

bump!
    Norah! (3 yr)

Any other tips?

I'm still getting less than 1/2 an ounce per session. I just can't seem to get letdown with the PISA. :?

Watch Tv..have a snack and a bottle of water close by and invest in a electric pump.. and set up a pumping schedule.

MommaBear Guest

Bump.

bumpalump
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

What helped me was to watch the milk come out. Be amazed at what your body continues to do for your baby. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and feel the milk letdown as you exhale.

So, I guess I was meditating in a way.