Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded pumping... tips, advice, and recommendations

I don't have a problem with let down, but it seems that my baby is taking more than I can replace now that I am at work. She is taking about 3 bottles 4 ounces each and I am only pumping about 8 ounces while at work. I am getting a hopsital grade pump on Thursday to see if that helps get more. I just don't want to give up.
    Amber

I plan to strictly pump for baby.

I use IGC to get Amazon gift cards, Checks and Walmart cards.
    If you have any questions, just ask.

I found that massaging my breasts and rubbing the nipples a bit between my fingers until milk starts to come out before pumping really helped. I will do this again after the milk appears to have stopped flowing. Has increased the amount that I get by about 30%!

Due to my baby being in the NICU the first 12 days of his life I was required to pump from day 1. I've been having problems pumping - mainly I'm tired of it and I'm struggling with getting my son to not go to sleep at the breast. I guess it gets better but I'm glad to know that everyone seems to struggle with one or the other a bit.

I had 10 different lc s in the hospital while he was there and none seemed to help us they all just either irritated me or repeated what I had heard 14 different times already. Since we are all home now I've had a little easier time with the pumping and the breastfeeding. He doesn't go for long but its a start. I had to start taking the regland which only makes me more exhausted than ever before.
    ~Brianna~

5. Default

I get a lot more milk right after a warm shower. I guess I'm more relaxed and the heat from the shower lets the goodness flow!
    Steph (23), DH Larry (23), and DD Lara Dale

Well I actually just stopped pumping. My son never took to my breast so I started pumping from day 1 to 13 months. All I can say is the first week is really critical on building the supply or that was what i was told. I used the medela advanced from the store. I pumped every 2 hours for 10 minutes on both breasts for the first week after that i only pumped when he was hungry. For a while i would pump when he ate, it seemed like the crying really helped with getting the milk out. I actually had a lot of extra milk. When I got to about 7 months my milk became kind of moody. When my period was coming i would get a lot of milk then when it was there I would have very little. So at that point i started to pump till they were empty about 15 min on the pump i had. the milk will come out and then it will stop for about 4 minuted and then the thicker stuff will come out. make sure you get the last stuff, i guess thats the most important part. hope this is helpful.

Alternate breasts often, once one is empty, do the other, then go back to the first. I got a lot more that way. Atleast another oz off each side by going back. I'm an exclusive pumper, and aside from mastitis, haven't had any problems with pumping. I actually have my station set up in the living room next to the computer so I just surf the net while I pump and often I look down and the bottle is overflowing. I look at baby stuff alot of ebay and amazon, so maybe that helps with the let down :-) I also read and post here while I pump. The distraction makes it less of a chore.
    Morgan (26), DH Jim (26), James Aidan (3/18/09) & Makayla Renee (7/9/10) Due July with another girl!
    We're a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, and co sleeping family.

wow i thought i was the only person in the world with these problems lol its so stressful i wanted to be a strictly bf mom but actually im a pump and formula mom i hate it

Stephmama rocks my socks.

Quote Originally Posted by amilyarnaud View Post
    wow i thought i was the only person in the world with these problems lol its so stressful i wanted to be a strictly bf mom but actually im a pump and formula mom i hate it
    I am in the exact same camp as you - pumping and formula feeding. BF just has not been working for me and my LO. This thread has been unbelievably helpful and informative. Thanks to everyone for their input and advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    Be amazed at what your body continues to do for your baby. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and feel the milk letdown as you exhale.

So, I guess I was meditating in a way.
    I am pumping as I read this and tried it--- Yay!! Great advice!!!!

I find that heat packs help with letdown too.

Miracle Baby #2 "Mika"

I bought this hands free pumping band to go back to work, and it has been great! It's not very attractive, but it works! It fits over your existing nursing bra, and it's fully adjustable. I am very large breasted, and don't have a problem. It's a little tricky getting the flanges in and out (I have an Ameda pump), but I don't know how else you would design it to make it work better.

http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...productId=8565

i pumped for the first 18 months, and my pump was like my shadow-it went EVERYWHERE with me! if i only gave one piece of advice it would be to never be caught without your pump. always have batteries and a car power adapter for the unexpected engorgement. and an insulated cooler with ice packs if you don't have access to a freezer.

as far as pain with nursing your baby, pump instead! you can make it suction softer

Default Am I horrible for wanting to EP?

Sorry meant to start a separate thread...
    Last edited by Olivia2009; 11-09-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tic kers][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by mrswilson View Post
    I read somewhere if you suddenly have a decrease in amount when pumping, get new membranes for your pump (the little white circle things that go in the bottle part)....I guess they break down over time and can get tiny little tears in them that decrease suction.
    My LC told me exactly this too. She had me rent a hospital-grade pump (the Symphony wasn't available, so I have the Lactina for now...) and showed me the extra discs and reminded me to replace them if I find myself turning the pump up to full-blast to get anything out...

Quote Originally Posted by stephmama View Post
    What helped me was to watch the milk come out. Be amazed at what your body continues to do for your baby. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and feel the milk letdown as you exhale.

So, I guess I was meditating in a way.
    I agree. My confidence to produce shoots way up when I see what was in my breasts...I also have to remind myself to loosen up my shoulders and chillax!

I also find massaging my breasts while to empty the ducts helps a lot, and I am learning where the ducts that produce a lot and need a little coaxing to empty are...it also makes me for comfortable - instead of sitting there not moving at all.
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

Now, I just started pumping. I got 2 mL the first time, and I know that's to be expected. I was just wondering how long it took any of you for the actual milk to come in, or even to have a decent amount to feed your baby?
    I'm pumping exclusively for now; my angel is in the NICU, and is only just beginning to take to the bottle; and I know I just started, but it seemed to take forever to get just those 2 mL..
    Brittany, mommy to Boo and Bean, and Bear makes three!

Quote Originally Posted by crazylittlered View Post
    Now, I just started pumping. I got 2 mL the first time, and I know that's to be expected. I was just wondering how long it took any of you for the actual milk to come in, or even to have a decent amount to feed your baby?
    I'm pumping exclusively for now; my angel is in the NICU, and is only just beginning to take to the bottle; and I know I just started, but it seemed to take forever to get just those 2 mL..
    Sounds like your off to a good start - - - Best Wishes to you & your sweet little one!

Just stick w/ it & try to get at 8 pumps these early days. I KNOW it's hard w/ running back & forth to the hospital etc but this is the time that 'sets' the demand for your milk production.Oh & don't forget to EAT & DRINK!!! it's hard when u can't in nicu - but once i started eating more protien i got better pumping.

My son was in NICU for a week & it took a few days for me to even make enough to fall into the bottles. At first my husband (bless him) would use the little droppers they gave us to sort of suction the milk out of the flanges around the nipples...... oh boy...seems forever ago.

Pumping Day 3, and still just getting drops.. And now righty is sore and not producing anything! When I was discharged from the hospital, the nurse gave me a handful of syringes to get the little amounts out of the pump bottles.
    Tonight, I tried pumping every couple hours for about 10 minutes, and I've achieved a whole half mL altogether.
    Try again tomorrow morning!
    Brittany, mommy to Boo and Bean, and Bear makes three!

Keep on doing it, short pumpings as many times as you can handle. I did 10 minutes every two hours then 15 every two hours now I do 20 every two to three hours.

Drink lots of water too, I mean looots of water.

alison1278 Guest

hope you're getting enough milk now...just read from some other site that if you're having sore nipples, you can try some lanolin. If the sore is caused by thrush, gentian violet will do the trick

Default Help!

Ok, my babe is 17.5lbs and 3 months old now. I exclusively pump and give him EBM. I pump approximately 40 ounces a day, and pump about 4-5 times a day. I need to produce more though, because soon I will not be able to produce as much as he needs. I've increased pumping from every 5-7hrs to every 4 hrs on the dot. I drink CRAZY amounts of water too. Any ideas on how to increase my supply???
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

Quote Originally Posted by babykenny View Post
    Ok, my babe is 17.5lbs and 3 months old now. I exclusively pump and give him EBM. I pump approximately 40 ounces a day, and pump about 4-5 times a day. I need to produce more though, because soon I will not be able to produce as much as he needs. I've increased pumping from every 5-7hrs to every 4 hrs on the dot. I drink CRAZY amounts of water too. Any ideas on how to increase my supply???
    Is he already eating close to 40 oz/day? That seems like a lot to me. Breastfed babies do not increase the amount that they eat like formula fed babies do. I think kellymom says the average amount is 25 oz/day between 1-6 months. My DD never has taken more than 4-5 oz in a feeding and she just turned one.

If you do need to increase supply, I'd suggest supplements like fenugreek or mother's milk tea. I have not tried them, but others have had success.

How many ounces per feeding should a newborn get? My baby is 5 days old. I have been nursing, but considering switching over to pumping. I have no idea how much she is getting while I am nursing.
    Sandy & Matt, Proud parents of 3 beautiful children, Hazel and Cody adopted thru Foster Care, and Isla Blue was born on April 2, 2010!

Sandy-here is a good resource: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

question

is it bad to wait more than 4 hours to pump? will my supply go down? i try to pump every 3 hours but at night i some times go longer

TiP!:

if pumping slows down, STOP. get up and do something else for 5 minutes and then try again. this always helps me to re-start my letdown and get more milk per pumping session!
    Personal space is overrated.

Pumping w/ hand expression/hands on info. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Kate, mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob (10/8/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonbabyhopeful View Post
    How many ounces per feeding should a newborn get? My baby is 5 days old. I have been nursing, but considering switching over to pumping. I have no idea how much she is getting while I am nursing.
    As long as you are getting at least 4 poopie diapers a day you know baby is getting enough. That's what my LC says.

Question: Could pumping have caused my problem with fast letdown? I'm trying not to pump twice a day like I was doing to help regulate my supply more to my baby's appetite. I am leaking all the time like crazy and she is choking on my letdown. If I stop pumping will my letdown and leaking get better?

the letdown will get better eventually regardless of pumping. if you have to pump (trying to build a stash?) then would keep doing it and not risk running out of ebm while you're gone for work!
    Personal space is overrated.

I hated getting the water in my tubes. I pump 6 times a day and the moisture collection is horrible! I had the crazy idea to use my husbands compressed air. I put it in the end of the tube that meets the motor and send air through. I checked it and clear! It worked great! I keep a can with my pump at all times now!

Moisture in tubes + Compressed Air = Dry Tubes!
    Allison (25) Bill (31) Married 2/6/09
    Blessed with: DD Airilynn 9/19/2010 and 5 Fur Babies! Tippy (9), Cuddles (9), Deebe (3), Mollee/Tripod (1), Sarah (2 - The lone doggie!)