Thread: How do you define 'Infertility'

Question How do you define 'Infertility'

How do you define 'Infertility' and I don't mean the clinical definition of infertility I mean what is it to you? What is your definition?
    www.thefertilityjourney.wordpress.com
    STC #1 for 5years
    Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tubes
    Praying that 2013 is our year!

The inability to have children naturally...that is infertility in my case...(or rather my husband's)....
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids
    1st round of IVF: 10/13 BFN
    2nd round of IVF started on 12/13/13, BFP on 2/17...Due Date: 10/26/14

For me, infertility is being unable to concieve the natural way. Not being able to just have sex and get pregnant. It means lots of tears and heartache because you can't have what you long for. It means many blood draws and exams and tests in that small chance that going through medical intervention may be what gives you a baby. For me it meant that I was a failure because my body wouldn't do what it normally should do.

I try to shy away from that word as much as possible, as it has such negative energy and connotations. If I think about it too much, from that perspective, I feel very down and defeated. Yes, I experience all of the heartache, failure, and questioning that we all do, but i have had to teach myself to turn it around. It has brought DH and I much closer, it truly has opened doors for us, and it has taught us that we really do want a family - even if it couldn't have been in the traditional sense. I have learned a lot about myself, my DH, and our relationship, I have gotten healthier, and have forged some incredible friendships and support that we wouldn't have if we hadn't had to go this route.
    Last edited by akhiker; 09-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.

I think for me, although I have chosen to go the medical route, I shy away from medical intervention being part of the definition of infertility. Some people do choose to resolve their infertility through adoption or remaining without children. And some rare individuals get pregnant without intervention after years of trying. I think that one thing that really defines infertility is the longing and the heartbreak. It's struggling and waiting and hoping and praying and not having a nice easy resolution.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Well said Gwenn!!

TTC since 08/06
    Cheryl- 34 Nick-32
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f4f0a

Thanks ladies I blogged 'what it really is {infertility}' yesterday and I wanted to see how y'all saw it. I think we all kind of agree here.
    www.thefertilityjourney.wordpress.com
    STC #1 for 5years
    Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tubes
    Praying that 2013 is our year!