Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Breastfeeding Babies Sometimes Seem Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    I just went through this in the hospital. They kept telling me to give him formula but I kept trying and pumped when he wouldn't latch well, and my milk was in by the time I got home. If I hadn't been lurking here for so long I wouldn't have know what to do.
    Thanks mommas!
    Just proves knowledge is power. Congrats on your LO! keep it up. You will have rough periods, & we're all here to help. Oh,don't pump during a GS. It'll make it last longer. I learned that one the hard way!

Thank you for this- as a first time mommy-to-be who is determined to breastfeed I can use all the help I can get.
    My little Lily is 3 yrs old now!

I'm so thankful for this. I think this is one of the "issues" we are dealing with now. Four hours on the breast - and my butt hurst from still in place!
    Kim (35) & Ghon (41) Jonathan (9.30.08) and Genevieve (9.21.10) I have two steps, SD21 and SS23.

I should have read it few days before. I am so frustrated with DD being always on the boob and throwing up and still looking hungry! Thanks for the consolation and words of reassurance!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Right click at the right thread, same thing happening LO always want boobs, it make total sense now. THANKS APA.

Here I am in tears, boobs hurt, and so wanting to go to bottle. But I will not give up knowing that I am not alone. Thank goodness you guys are here. I thought I was doing something wrong, he has been eating and eating. And I just finished feeding him or so I thought.

yup, feeding every 30 mins. She's 3.5 months old now and I'm doubting my supply.
    Audrey (38) DH (34), Lilly (DD), Logan (DS). Breastfeeding is more than feeding. It is communication between mother and baby. It is a form of nurturing; it is an act of love.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyandstaceysmom View Post
    Here I am in tears, boobs hurt, and so wanting to go to bottle. But I will not give up knowing that I am not alone. Thank goodness you guys are here. I thought I was doing something wrong, he has been eating and eating. And I just finished feeding him or so I thought.

it gets better, mama! hang in there!

bump! we never want to lose this one!

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyandstaceysmom View Post
    I feel the same way. Sometimes DH tells me to give him formula cause I am in pain. But I won't give up!!

Omg thank ggati for this thread. I was so sure I was starving my twins that I would nurse and then give the bottles of formula! I was so sad thinking I was failing at being a mommy. Thank you for posting the links to cluster feeding. I feel so much better about myself and I have been nursing all day today and no formula. My dh is worried they aren't going to gain enough weight but I'll just weigh them daily and keep track to ease his mind.
    Thanks again for this thread.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread! It really helped me make it through the first weeks of breastfeeding. I'm always hearing women saying they weren't able to breastfeed because their baby was hungry all the time, and I am so glad I had the knowledge of this thread prior to giving birth.

Lisa(35), DH(31) and Evan (5/15/09)

I made the mistake of supplementing my lil girl when I was b/f for the first time. She ended up off the breast at 5 months which was sooner than I wanted because of two reasons...(1)return to work and (2) what i now know to be growth spurts...had I no knownledge of "growth spurt" and my doctor nor pediatrician told me anything about such a thing. the only thing they would tell me is to continue with breast feeding but i felt so alone and inadequate because I thought my baby was starving. Even when I mentioned that I had started supplementing my dd with formula because she is starving they said nothing. I will definitely consult this forum frequently this time around...my daughter us now 2yrs old and I am currently 11weeks and 2ds pregnant and very excited about a second chance to breast feed...lol...would never have thought that would say that in a million yrs.

P.S. any ladies out there faced with returning to work and breastfeeding and have developed a way to overcome the issue please help me...I will be returning to work and I want to continue breastfeeding my baby for at the least the first year. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

So glad I clicked on this thread. Trinity seems to be eating constantly and DH is toying with the idea of starting solids. I am so against this idea. We have two other new babies in our family, both a month older than Trinity and both formula fed. They've both been on solids for a month or more now...it's making us question ourselves. I'll make sure he reads up on cluster feeding. Even our pedi says no solids until at least 4 months. I do not want to introduce them too early.

16. Default

thank you so much for this post It really helps reassure me that he IS actually getting milk when he's eating. And that Im not starving him! (obviously since he's gaining weight lol)
    Amy(24) Mark(27) Married 3/3/2006Mark Edward III born 08/31/09
    ~*A Godly Marriage in an Ungodly World -- Blog*~

I don't know how I skipped over this thread. I wish I would've seen this before my LO was born. I was told to get on a schedule of feeding my LO every 2 hours or so. My LO always seemed hungry and I thought there was no way that he was still hungry 30 minutes after a feeding. I wonder if my LO lost weight because I tried to keep him close to this schedule. When the Dr asked me how often I was nursing, I told him "about every 2 hours." He said that was normal and because of the weight loss he had me supplementing with formula at only 2 weeks. I was devastated to say the least. I was so determined to breast feed and I felt trapped into bottles. Now my LO is 5 1/2 weeks old and is still being breastfed as well as formula fed. I always think my breast are empty soon after a feeding and have to top him off with formula 45 min to an hour after he was on the breast... or I give in and just give him a bottle of formula and pump instead. I wonder if I can turn things around now and just keep feeding him on the breast??

Thank you so much!! I appreciate knowing this and will start educating others around me that are planning to breast feed for the first time.
    Me- Brandy (34) DH- Eric (36), DS- Danny (16), DS- Dylan (13), DS- Landon (3)
    10/2001 4 weeks, 9/2008 5 weeks, 3/2012 10 weeks

I want to thank yall for this thread too!!!

My DH always asks me if I want to give them formula because they are eating sometimes every 30 min and seem so hungry! I've been refusing, but I was starting to feel that maybe I should give in. Thanks!!! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone. And I wont be supplementing!!!

MountainMama4 Guest

Amazing! As a 4th time bf'ing mom you would think I would know this. I somehow managed to bf my boys between 15 mos and 2 years, but just followed what my body and baby told me. Never knew the "science" behind any of it. Thank you so much for this thread and the links. Definitely helped me be more informed!!!

20. Default

I'm glad to see this post. I am new to breastfeeding, I fed my son formula. I have been nursing my daughter who is 7 weeks exclusively. I feel like I nurse her the whole time she's awake. She does not do what the "books" say about every 2-3 hrs. At night she wakes at least every two hrs if not less and sometimes she will surprise me and go longer. I have several friends who are nursing and have baby's the same age and they go the three hr stretch in between feedings. I love to nurse my baby but I do struggle with nursing so often and keeping up with my son and the things I need to do during the day. Any suggestions? She does not take a paci and enjoys to comfort suck. She seems fussy most of the time she's awake and spits up frequently. I want to do whatever is best for her and it makes me sad to feel like she is frustrated. She is a slow nurser, does not have a very strong suck, but she is gaining weight which is good b/c she wasn't in the beginning due to using a nipple shield. I've seen a lactation consultant at least five times and she says the latch is good. I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance for any suggestions...

ghjgfj Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mothgirl View Post
    Amen.
    spammmmmmm, deleted now!!

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    I just had to post this thread because it's been irking me that no one seems to tell new mommies that when a BREASTFEEDING BABY ACTS HUNGRY ALL THE TIME AND NURSES ALL THE TIME IT'S NORMAL!

It's the way they're built! It's the way the system works! Nursing all the time increases supply and teaches the baby so many things about his world, social interaction, and intimacy!

It doesn't mean the baby needs formula! Or potato water! Or rice cereal!

Unless, of course, the baby isn't gaining weight. ;)

I just keep reading these threads that say "my baby is hungry!" or hearing of moms who quit because baby was fussy at the breast and it makes me sad.
    Thank you for posting this thread. I am a new mommy of a 10 day old, and have been trying so hard to get BF down pat. I have very flat nipples, and have to use a shield to nurse. I had to start off on an SNS and tape a tube to the breast in order to feed Eamon and get prolactin stimulated. It was pretty rough, especially bc Eamon wasn't latching perfectly (and still doesn't every time, but I am working on it).

This week the pedi told me to stop supplementing, unless it was with milk I had pumped and gave through a bottle. I am relieved about this, bc when I am alone the SNS is a hot mess to hook up - so awkward.

Yesterday I tried tirelessly to feed exclusively from the breast (with a shield). I was 99% successful, and felt I really accomplished something. He was at the boob ALL DAY though, which got me worried I wasn't producing enough to keep him satiated - which is why I am grateful for your post! It makes me realize that it's ok for DS to "dine at the breast-aurant" all day!

The trouble is, DS sleeps really long stretches at a time, and I get full in the meantime and don't want to slow down the production. I've pumped and frozen a couple times, but need to get a good rhythm down...

Any advice???
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I had a talk with a new Mama about this. She was stuck Bfing when everyone was ready to leave. She was in near tears because her LO wasn't full yet and just kept going.
    I assured her everyone could wait a few more mins and her baby is completely normal. It's amazing how quickly it changes in just a few weeks.
    Bfing doesn't get enough explanation anymore.
    Mama to Lilli and Wyatt

Thank you for posting this thread. I am a new mommy of a 10 day old, and have been trying so hard to get BF down pat. I have very flat nipples, and have to use a shield to nurse. I had to start off on an SNS and tape a tube to the breast in order to feed Eamon and get prolactin stimulated. It was pretty rough, especially bc Eamon wasn't latching perfectly (and still doesn't every time, but I am working on it).

This week the pedi told me to stop supplementing, unless it was with milk I had pumped and gave through a bottle. I am relieved about this, bc when I am alone the SNS is a hot mess to hook up - so awkward.

Yesterday I tried tirelessly to feed exclusively from the breast (with a shield). I was 99% successful, and felt I really accomplished something. He was at the boob ALL DAY though, which got me worried I wasn't producing enough to keep him satiated - which is why I am grateful for your post! It makes me realize that it's ok for DS to "dine at the breast-aurant" all day!

The trouble is, DS sleeps really long stretches at a time, and I get full in the meantime and don't want to slow down the production. I've pumped and frozen a couple times, but need to get a good rhythm down...

Any advice???
    First the sucking on your breast constantly is totally normal. I counted one day and I had spent 7hours latched!!!!NB's have a strong desire to suck for comfort which is why pacifers where introduced. It's your desicion whether or not you want to use one. But most likey he's just enjoying your breasts. A hungry baby is a loud crying one.
    As for the engorgement between feedings. If you can try not to pumo that will be ideal. God created us with enough milk for twins and it takes a few weeks (roughly 6) for your body to catch up or slow down. I would try to express some into the sink right before a feeding so Lilli could latch. Otherwise my MW suggested letting your body figure it out.
    I promise that by 6 weeks this BFing thing will be sooooo different.
    Mama to Lilli and Wyatt

thank you for this thread. i am expecting my first baby any day/minute/hour now lol but knew from the start i wanted to breastfeed. i learned a lot from my sisters and doing my own research and know how important it is for babies to have bm. even though i have not experienced it yet i know it could and will be hard at first . but i figure.. its hard because its something new. you /your body and your baby have to get use to it . so a week or two or more of getting use to it is sooo worth it in my eyes since i know she is getting all the benefits of bm. ive seen my sister in law stop because she said it "hurt " so much. i felt soo sad that she didnt give it a chance. same with a friend who had a c-section. im not sure how soon after a c-section you can start breastfeeding.. from what i was told at the hospital and researched was that you can breastfeed within the first hour of birth.. but my friend was told she couldnt and they gave the baby formula. then a day or two later when she tried to breastfeed she stopped because no "milk" was there. i was like you have to give it time and let baby suck to help bring in the milk. but she didn't even try after that. in a way it makes me mad because some people just dont see or know how important bm is for a baby. im just so happy to be part of this site and learn all i can .

me(26) DH(28) DD:Born Jan.12,2010 @6:42pm
    Finally we have our baby after 3 yrs of ttc

26. Default

Just read this and i am so happy i'm not alone...My baby boy has been hungry like crazy! I didn't know what else to do....

Born 12/7/10 @7:37pm...5lb 2oz...18 1/2 inches long

Just thought of this thread again yesterday as 2 friends with babies born around the same time as mine are no longer BFing because they supplemented because "baby was hungry." It makes me sad. The education and support is still so needed.