Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: PCOS Thread

No PCOS is not painful. Some of the symptoms (such as cysts) can be painful, but not everyone gets every symptom.
    Rachael, Jon (DH), & Jaron (DS)

Facebook

Hey fellow PCOSers Just wondering how long it took for those of you on Metformin to begin ovulating on your own if you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse2008 View Post
    Hey fellow PCOSers Just wondering how long it took for those of you on Metformin to begin ovulating on your own if you are?
    Hi, I have been taking metformin since June and have not had any success with the metformin alone. Was hoping it would start working soon, but if it hasn't when I go back in November, doc will start me on clomid I believe. But hopefully you will respond better to it, I have heard of a lot of people that have success w/the metformin alone! Good Luck!
    Me-(25) diagnosed w/PCOS Feb. 2008, DH-(26) awaiting results of S/A, TTC #1 since 12/2006

Thanks for the reply. I am taking 1000mg of Met currently and so far haven't had a ton of trouble with it. I am also trying to lose some weight. Do you take Provera to induce periods? If so do you take it every month or does your doctor recommend every 2 months?

I take 1500 mg of Metformin. I was given Provera to induce AF once w/the metformin. Since I had lost weight, my dr. wanted me to continue w/the met to see if I would ovulate w/o having to take the Provera again. But has not worked so far, so not sure if he will recommend the provera again or start me on clomid.
    Me-(25) diagnosed w/PCOS Feb. 2008, DH-(26) awaiting results of S/A, TTC #1 since 12/2006

My doctor wants to start me on Clomid this next month but I think I would like to see if losing weight and Metformin will do the trick for me. Who knows though, my body keeps throwing me curve balls so I have no idea what to expect anymore. Do you use OPKs or do you temp? I've only been going by CM but since I haven't ovulated in 3 months I haven't had to worry about that.

Default Clomid success stories?

I will be given clomid on October 23, and begin taking it early November.... The few (2) people who I know who took clomid did NOT get preg with it. So that is discouraging... I was wanting to hear some success stories...

if you have some to share- I would love to hear them!!! I am looking for that silver lining in all of this!!!

Thanks, and best wishes to all of you!!!

steph

I just wanted to share this. I've been doing alot of research(its the wannabe dr in me I guess) and I found all this stuff regarding Nonclassic Adrenal Hyperplasia- in regardings to PCOS. I would love your take on this Robin, Xevy or anyone else: (BTW this was a French study)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) affects about 4 to 6% of women of reproductive age and accounts for at least 75% of hyperandrogenic patients. PCOS is diagnosed by the presence of oligo-ovulation and hyperandrogenism after the exclusion of related disorders, such as 21-hydroxylase-deficient nonclassic adrenal hyperplasia (NCAH). In turn, NCAH is a homozygous recessive disorder, diagnosed by a corticotropin-stimulated 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-HP) level greater than10 ng/mL (30.3 nmol/L) and confirmed by genotyping of the CYP21 gene. The prevalence of NCAH is approximately 50 times less than that of PCOS, affecting between 1 and 10% of hyperandrogenic women, depending on ethnicity.

However, it is generally difficult to distinguish NCAH from PCOS solely on clinical grounds, as both demonstrate varying degrees of hyperandrogenism and ovulatory dysfunction. Most PCOS patients have insulin resistance, in contrast to those with NCAH. Likewise, polycystic ovaries are observed in up to 40% of NCAH patients. Both disorders have a strong familial component. The only method that allows the separation of NCAH from PCOS patients is the measurement of 17-HP levels.

In conclusion, PCOS and NCAH have differences in prevalence and pathophysiology. However, because the disorders have significant clinical and hormonal similarities, the measurement of 17-HP, preferably basally as a screening method, should be incorporated into the evaluation of all hyperandrogenic patients
    Last edited by NYPDbaby; 09-28-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse2008 View Post
    My doctor wants to start me on Clomid this next month but I think I would like to see if losing weight and Metformin will do the trick for me. Who knows though, my body keeps throwing me curve balls so I have no idea what to expect anymore. Do you use OPKs or do you temp? I've only been going by CM but since I haven't ovulated in 3 months I haven't had to worry about that.
    That's what I was going for too, was hoping the weight loss would have helped w/the metformin, but still no luck so far. How about you? I use OPKs, but haven't ovulated in 2 months so haven't had to worry about it either... So it looks like clomid will be the next step for me next month...

I, too would like to hear some clomid success stories if anyone has any!

10. Default

ok to clear something up ...metformin does not make you ovulated.Metformin is use to control other stuff.And clomid does not work for everyone...you have to have a dr that is willing to move up the mg.I didnt o on 50...been moved up to 100.But i have gotten prego before on 50...100 and 150. good luck.

6 misscarriages ,liljames(bornsleeping12/19/06).Christopher Logan 12/10/2010

ael0806, I still haven't had any luck ovulating on my own but I have only been taking the Metformin for one month so hopefully once I give the Metformin and weight loss some time to fix some of my underlying hormone issues I will begin cycling regularly again. I have to admit though that I was pretty bummed when I never saw a positive OPK and never had a temp jump to indicate ovulation but oh well, I guess time will tell. Had my hopes up because I know that some people on here have healed some of there insulin resistence with Metformin alone and were able to ovulate on there own fairly quickly. Hows your luck?

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoababyangle View Post
    ok to clear something up ...metformin does not make you ovulated.Metformin is use to control other stuff.
    Yes, I know metformin is not used only for ovulation, but the 'other stuff' it controls can sometimes induce ovulation for those who are anovulatory.

Nurse 2008, my luck has not been so good either w/the metformin. I know it is a bummer when there is no sign of ovulating! Am continuing to maintain my weight loss, have not lost anymore, but still nothing. I have been taking it since June, so I'm about to give up on hoping it will work for me, lol... But I know it has worked for many others, so good luck!

ael0806, good luck to you if you decide to try Clomide. I don't think I'll be to far behind you unless some miracle happens . Let me know how it goes for you.

14. Default

ladies, I am also taking Metformin since end of August, now 1000MG and still haven't seen any ovulation.

Born 12/7/10 @7:37pm...5lb 2oz...18 1/2 inches long

Hey girls my dr's finally put me on metformin. I am increasing my dose everyweek until I hit the 1500mg mark. I'm also doing clomid on CD3-7, a trigger and IUI this month, so everyone keep your I hope all of you get your BFP's soon!!!!!

That's fantastic! BD like crazy this month. I got PG with Kayla after 3 weeks on metformin and I was on the same schedule you just described and I had even paid for my IUI for the following cycle. It was reaaaally nice to get a refund

Quote Originally Posted by lethaliz View Post
    That's fantastic! BD like crazy this month. I got PG with Kayla after 3 weeks on metformin and I was on the same schedule you just described and I had even paid for my IUI for the following cycle. It was reaaaally nice to get a refund
    :celebrate::celebrate: WOW You made me so happy!!! That must of been the BEST phone call ever, "Hi, yes I paid for my next IUI but I don't need it because I'm knocked up already, so can I have my money back?"
    Last edited by NYPDbaby; 10-31-2008 at 09:31 PM.

18. Default

No Ovulation for me yet ladies. I am so bummed.

I have a friend who might have PCOS. She was woncering if their is a higher chance of miscarrying in early pregnancy with PCOS than without it. Her doctor said there wasn't but she is still concerned.

Yes there is a higher risk of miscarriage with PCOS than without.

liljazzy, I'm sorry your haven't O'd yet. To bad you can't sit your ovaries down and have a pep talk. Maybe you could bribe them or threaten them. Something tells me it wouldn't work, but hey I know how you feel and anything is worth a try.
    Last edited by Nurse2008; 11-15-2008 at 09:13 AM.

I too have been taking Met since September, no o yet but I do seem to be getting regular with my cycles. So far, I have had 2 29 day cycles. That's a first in it's self. I'm not IR so I question why my doc wants me to remain on metformin. I just take it to lower my risks somewhat on having a miscarriage. Maybe we will see some DPOs on our tickers soon ladies!
    Retiring from APA!!

23. Default

Well ladies still praying here!
    Nurse2008- Congratz I didnt know you were prego!!!!!:celebrate:

Thanks so much for the congrats! I posted the news in the ttc board late last week but it got bumped down pretty fast so I'm not sure how many people actually saw it. We are pretty excited, but still really scared that something will happen. We are waiting for a couple more weeks to tell our familys. I'm a total POAS addict so I've continued to use them because I love seeing that line....and its continued to get darker so we're hoping thats a good sign.

Any other fellow PCOSers gone thru IVF or considering it?

Last edited by Ready4mylilDuck!!; 01-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Praying for Allison,Tasha,and all the STC ladies BFPS!!! PeanutButter Swirl Cheesecake Batter Housewife

27. Default

Here is some good info:
    Click here for an additional (free) PDF Handout on PCOS:
    http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

I know I keep talking about this all over the boards and it's probably beyond annoying at this point, but I have to tell you ladies that this book has changed my life. I'm finally at a healthy weight, experiencing pretty predictable, shorter cycles, my acne has cleared up, I'm not tired or bloated any more, the hair on my head is getting softer and thicker, and best of all, I am reducing my metformin dose! My doctor is so excited.

All my doctors, including my endo, told me we were at the end of the line for treatments for the non-fertility related symptoms of PCOS. I refused to give up. I'm so glad I didn't and I hope you ladies won't either.

I can't wait till DH gets home and I can finally get that BFP and prove once and for all that this program WORKS!
    Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives. - C.S. Lewis

29. Default

Amazing Kate!!!!! Thanks for letting us know

Quote Originally Posted by NYPDbaby View Post
    I just wanted to share this. I've been doing alot of research(its the wannabe dr in me I guess) and I found all this stuff regarding Nonclassic Adrenal Hyperplasia- in regardings to PCOS. I would love your take on this Robin, Xevy or anyone else: (BTW this was a French study)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) affects about 4 to 6% of women of reproductive age and accounts for at least 75% of hyperandrogenic patients. PCOS is diagnosed by the presence of oligo-ovulation and hyperandrogenism after the exclusion of related disorders, such as 21-hydroxylase-deficient nonclassic adrenal hyperplasia (NCAH). In turn, NCAH is a homozygous recessive disorder, diagnosed by a corticotropin-stimulated 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-HP) level greater than10 ng/mL (30.3 nmol/L) and confirmed by genotyping of the CYP21 gene. The prevalence of NCAH is approximately 50 times less than that of PCOS, affecting between 1 and 10% of hyperandrogenic women, depending on ethnicity.

However, it is generally difficult to distinguish NCAH from PCOS solely on clinical grounds, as both demonstrate varying degrees of hyperandrogenism and ovulatory dysfunction. Most PCOS patients have insulin resistance, in contrast to those with NCAH. Likewise, polycystic ovaries are observed in up to 40% of NCAH patients. Both disorders have a strong familial component. The only method that allows the separation of NCAH from PCOS patients is the measurement of 17-HP levels.

In conclusion, PCOS and NCAH have differences in prevalence and pathophysiology. However, because the disorders have significant clinical and hormonal similarities, the measurement of 17-HP, preferably basally as a screening method, should be incorporated into the evaluation of all hyperandrogenic patients
    I had my 17-HP checked and it was indeed high. Then, I had to have a cortisol stim test type thing where they check you an hour or a couple hours after they inject cortisol (it was a long time ago so details are fuzzy). Anyway, my initial number was a bit high but actually went down after the stim. So, NCAH was ruled out for me. The doc did show me a little blurb in a textbook though that said that having PCOS can cause your 17-HP to be high so he chalked it up to that. I don't have acne or hursitism and am not obese. Those are pretty common syptoms for NCAH. It probably should be ruled out in PCOS patients even though it is not very common.
    Melissa