Thread: changing pedis

Default changing pedis

how do you pick a new pedi?
    i don't want to pick a new pedi, i like the one i have but insurance dictates who i can have and i am probably going to have to find a new one.
    so where do i begin? i have the approved list from the insurance so that gives me like 9 to choose from.
    mil recommended the pedi i have right now, all my nieces and nephews go to drs in the same practice that we have now.
    other people in the area that have kids that i know also have the same pedi practice as us.
    my friend was going to talk to her friends that all have kids to see who their pedis are and if they recommend them. but most of the recommendations i have gotten so far are not on the list.
    i am going to call the insurance and my current pedis office to find out why my pedi is not on the list but i doubt i will get anywhere.

so where do i begin? do i interview drs and pick from there? what do you ask a dr when interviewing them? would you go with a pedi or family practice that also accepts young children?

any suggestions would be helpful.

Just a thought but did you ask your current pedi office what the out of pocket rate would be and if they discount for self pay? With my older insurance the deductible was high and I paid out of pocket anyway for their visits. If you need vaccinations you can visit your health department which should be covered under your insurance. Unless you visit the pedi regularly and need to be seen often. For us we rarely go unless we are sick. And I negotiated a 50.00 self pay rate for sick visits with our doctor. It was worth it to keep the same doc. And they grandfathered us in since we have been using them.

Brenda

we are on a government based insurance for people that cannot afford insurance. our dr visits are 100% covered, we have a 5$ copay for a sick visit and nothing for a well check. if our child needs hospitalization it is completely covered. we can't afford to pay out of pocket for anything. its sad but we are that strapped for money living paycheck to paycheck and just paying for the manditory insurance for me and dh is putting us further into debt. (we didn't qualify for help for me and dh because his work offers it, high cost for basically nothing covered.)
    so if the insurance does not have my current pedi then i have to switch pedis.

If you like your current doctors, ask them who they would recommend off of the list. They'll understand the insurance quandary. These days, it's common...

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    If you like your current doctors, ask them who they would recommend off of the list. They'll understand the insurance quandary. These days, it's common...
    i will do that when i call to find out why they are no longer on the list. thanks for the suggestion.