Thread: Any one here on the gulf coast? - "flesh eating" bacteria

Default Any one here on the gulf coast? - "flesh eating" bacteria

So has anyone been hearing the news about vibrio vulcanis, the flesh eating bacteria? I have been hearing about it... It is basically a bacteria that likes warm waters and if you go swimming with open wounds it can get infect you and eat the flesh away.. People have lost limbs... You can also die. I have read all about it and everything says it is still safe to swim if you have no open wounds and no immune compromising conditions. Apparently it has always been around and there has not been any increase in cases just an increase in it being publicized. I think last year 31 people got and 11 died. Recently two people got it in Sarasota I know one died but maybe both did. Sarasota is only 45 minutes north of us. We are only 6 miles from the beach. I cannot imagine not being able to go in the water. But the statistics say it is not anymore dangerous then it always has been. My kids would be super devastated and really how do live right by the gulf and never touch the water.

We went to the beach today.. I checked everyone for cuts before we went in. But I was still super nervous about it. Now I keep over analyzing every little mark on everyone's skin.

So if you live on the gulf coast how are you dealing with this?

If not, how would you deal with it?

Can't edit but it is vibrio vulnificus

This is not something I would spend any time thinking about, other than making sure nobody had open wounds.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Only Group A Strep is "flesh eating". http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/health...icus-bacteria/

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Only Group A Strep is "flesh eating". http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/health...icus-bacteria/
    Yeah I read that too... I know it is not technically flesh eating. People are just calling that because of what it does. If you google pictures of it, it is pretty horrific. I know everything says just don't swim with open wounds or eat raw shell fish.... But it's like one of those things you can't un-know. I just can't stop thinking about it when we go to the water... I feel like a horrible mother letting my kids swim now. But I can't imagine not going to the beach anymore and everything I've read says as long as you're not immune comprised and don't have any open wounds you'll be fine. So I just feel very torn about what to do. Also I guess we've been swimming with it all along and never knew....

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    This is not something I would spend any time thinking about, other than making sure nobody had open wounds.
    this.

I live near Tampa, and it doesn't bother me. It is still so, so rare. Statistically, it's definitely more dangerous to put my kids in the car just to take them to school than it is to go to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurainFL View Post
    I live near Tampa, and it doesn't bother me. It is still so, so rare. Statistically, it's definitely more dangerous to put my kids in the car just to take them to school than it is to go to the beach.
    Yeah that is what I keep telling myself. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one over here letting my kids swim still. I think I will just check for cuts and call it good. I just keep reminding myself that we have been swimming with this a along.

Look around you at the beach. Other families are there swimming, no? Are those all bad parents?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Look around you at the beach. Other families are there swimming, no? Are those all bad parents?
    Lol! You think there would be lots of other people, but where we go there are usually none! But yeah, I get what you're saying. I just never heard of it and then my BIL told me about it and I researched it. Even after I researched I went to the beaching thinking I would just check everyone for cuts and not worry... But then we were in the water and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It doesn't help that there have been a couple cases so close to where we are.