Thread: Stressing out!!

Default Stressing out!!

My supply is dying...quickly!!! I haven't changed anything so on thursday I pumped 5ozs in the morning(usual is 4-5oz off the left side) I don't pump on the right in the morning because then I feed Sean on the right and finish on the left. I pumped twice at work(8hr shift) and all was normal. Friday I pumped in the morning like usual and only got 3ozs, pumped twice at work and got 2.5oz and 2 oz. Saturday I pumped in the morning and got 2ozs! Then fed Sean every other hour all day. Sunday I pumped and got 2ozs again! Fed Sean all day like Saturday but had to miss one feeding and couldn't pump, all weekend he still seemed hungry after, which is unusual. This morning, 2.5ozs and then I pumped three times at work, 2oz, 2oz, 1.5oz. I am terrified!!! So now I just took 3 - 610mg of Fenugeek and I am making Mother's Milk Tea, I have tried cookies with no effect but I will be making them again tonight if I get time and eat 2 at each feeding or pumping session. I am so terrified I am losing my supply and it won't come back now!! Why has it dropped so drastically, so quickly when I haven't changed my diet and I have actually increased my fluid intake a lot!

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Blog Entries

Are you expecting a period? My supply always dips for a few days right before AF shows. After a few days things are back to normal.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I haven't had AF yet at all, I am on the Mirena and was bleeding/spotting from that for a few months and now I have finally stopped a few days ago. I don't think it's AF unfortunately.

03/22/13

I noticed my pumping amount would vary widely depending on the day. Some days I'd do great and then others there'd be almost nothing!

Massaging the breast while pumping was very effective for me. Also keep a food journal and see what you're eating the day before you pump a lot. Maybe you will find a certain meal that helps you produce a lot. My coworker told me she always saw a huge supply increase after a greasy cheeseburger lol.

Try not to panic. Do you have any frozen milk as a backup? Can you wake up in the night (I know, Ughhh) to add an extra pumping session?

OK stop stressing, that will tank your supply worse than anything else.

Things you can do:

A pumping session between 1-5 am, this is the highest production time. Sucks but it's true.
    Take brewer's yeast tablets, 2-3, 3 times a day.
    Calcium/Magnesium aim for 1200mg calcium/750mg Mag per day, but not more than 500mg Calcium at once, the body can't do anything with the extra.
    Flax meal
    Oatmeal--old fashioned or steel cut are best.
    "power" pumping: 10 mins on, 10 mins off for an hour once a day.
    More Milk Plus

It will take about 48 hours for your body to respond to changes. Though I think the brewers yeast was faster than that for me.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

i have heard that women will overproduce after drinking a beer... but your not supposed to drink beer and then feed a baby...... the others have given great advice, also try pumping after a hot shower, that always helped me get more milk (i pumped in a hot shower too and got an oz more than usual)

FYI..you may want to read this in regards to minera and breastfeeding..http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../birthcontrol/

Also, how many times per day are you pumping and/nursing? My supply would tank if I dropped to many feedings.

You can have a beer and still feed. There's controversy though on whether it's the yeast in the beer or its relaxing effect that helps production. Alcohol actually reduces your output because it's dehydrating. But I still have my beers lol.

I didn't read that link on Mirena but I had one for 7 years. It doesn't prevent ovulation, so all the hormones in your body are the same as though you would have a period.

Well the tea brought it up a bit but it's not enough anymore. I pump at 6am and am getting 3-4oz on my left, then feed Sean on my right. Then I pump at 1030a and get 3-3.5oz combined. Then again at 3-330 and get 2.5-3oz combined. Then go home and nurse every 2hrs after 5pm until we go to bed at 10pm. I have had the Mirena for about 4mos now and this just started happening, so I am not sure it is connected or not but the doctor says no, it's not enough hormones and they are so localized that it shouldn't impact production a lot, if at all.

Honestly, I am so tired. I love breastfeeding but I hate that I am having to take so much stuff to try and keep it. I am taking Fenugeek 3xs a day and drinking this tea, that tastes horrible and make me have loose BMs, just to keep what little I have. My frozen stash is almost gone and soon we will not be able to keep up with feeding Sean while I am at work. At this point I am just holding onto what I have until we run out. I can tell after feeding that Sean is hungry. He drinks 4-5ozs from a bottle right now and I don't see me producing that for him.

03/22/13

I just wanted to mention that babies always seem to take more from the bottle. The bottle flows more consistently than the breast so babies tend to consume more. The baby can't control how much he's getting from the bottle like he can at the breast. Can you ask the daycare to only fill the bottle to say 3 oz and see if he's satisfied after that? If they're filling it higher, it's just going to keep coming and he's going to keep drinking.

Also try not to beat yourself up over it. Continue to pump when you can and breast feed at home, and supplement with some formula if necessary. Every ounce of BM you give your baby, whether it's 1 oz or 100 oz is beneficial to him. You're doing great mama!

Babies only need 1-1.5 oz per hour, some a little more but not significantly more. It's very easy to overfeed with a bottle.

If those supps aren't working then try other ones, there are lots of things that aid milk production and not everything works for everyone.

This isn't easy and I know you know that, you're doing great! Keep going, keep trying different things, you will figure it out. Trust your body and try not to stress.

I don't think anyone mentioned this but the easiest thing you could do and should do frequently anyway is replace the membranes on the pump. Those little white flat things will kill your output when they get worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned this but the easiest thing you could do and should do frequently anyway is replace the membranes on the pump. Those little white flat things will kill your output when they get worn out.
    Yes!! I totally forgot about this!

Thanks for hanging in there with me ladies! I think I get so discouraged because I see so many other moms out there pumping like 20ozs a day and On a work day I probably pump 13oz a day. So it makes me feel terrible!!

It also helps that I got a few terrific nights sleep finally and we are on a 3 day week and I have bf Sean every other hour and I am having 3 cups of Mother's Milk tea every day this weekend. It seems to be helping a little bit but we will see if it is just a coincidence but the past two mornings I have been pumping my usual 4ozs but I haven't pumped during the day so we will see how that goes tomorrow at work.

I will have to try replacing the membranes too. I don't think I have changed them recently.

03/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by coelh102 View Post
    Thanks for hanging in there with me ladies! I think I get so discouraged because I see so many other moms out there pumping like 20ozs a day and On a work day I probably pump 13oz a day. So it makes me feel terrible!!

It also helps that I got a few terrific nights sleep finally and we are on a 3 day week and I have bf Sean every other hour and I am having 3 cups of Mother's Milk tea every day this weekend. It seems to be helping a little bit but we will see if it is just a coincidence but the past two mornings I have been pumping my usual 4ozs but I haven't pumped during the day so we will see how that goes tomorrow at work.

I will have to try replacing the membranes too. I don't think I have changed them recently.
    I never really got as much as I thought I should get when pumping too. But maybe my kids were eating less then I thought (or less then the books told me formula fed babies should be eating). It is hard work to BF. Your doing great. Hang in there!!!!

Oh yes and I forgot about the membranes too!!

Brenda

Keep up the good job!! You're doing fantastic job!! Try the more milk plus, a friend of mine swears by it. I'm hoping that I will be able to BF this little one as Ive had breast surgery some 8 years ago.
    Marsha

[/url]

How are you doing? Has your milk adjusted?

I completely know how you feel about pumping milk production. With my first I was still working about 9 hrs a day and my co-workers son was 2 months older than mine. She would pump almost 9oz in one 15 min session and here I was struggling to get 6oz in 20 mins!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I EP and I almost never get anywhere close to that unless I happen to go a really long time without pumping which I rarely do. I think people worry excessively too much about the milk. Of course I worry too, but that's just being a mom I guess.

Idk girls.... Its the same, I tried cookies again and doubled the brewers yeast and flaxseed, started those yesterday and will see tomorrow if there is an increase but doesn't seem to be. Also did mother's milk tea and no major increase. I get 3oz in the morning, 2-3.5oz in the mid morning, then 2-2.5oz in the afternoon. I am sad... he drinks 5-6ozs a bottle now and I can't keep up and my stash is about one day ahead, that's it. Plus, Saturday my husband and I are going on a day trip on four wheelers all day and I will only get to pump at lunch(rather than eat lunch, I will be driving off alone into the woods to hand pump.) We will be in a group of 20-30 people and I can't have them stop for me. So DH will bring me something to eat as I drive the four wheeler but I won't get to eat with them even. I cry about it daily.. but I think it may be time to let it dry up and close the book on my breasfeeding.

03/22/13

Blog Entries

How is your health currently? I know that you were very sick for awhile and not really eating. Is that all over now? Is your own weight stable? Are you eating enough calories to breastfeed, etc?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Yeah I am eating normal again, My weight has plateaued and I haven't lost anything since Sean was 3mos old. I wish I could lose more weight but I consume about 2000+ calories a day. I drink a TON of water. Part of me wants to give up, I am exhausted with trying. The other part of me is devastated and wants to get focused and serious about getting my supply up but I work full time and can't imagine it getting any better.

03/22/13

Is continuing to breast feed/pump while supplementing with formula an option? That way he would still be getting the benefits of your milk but you would feel less stressed about needing to match his consumption.

I wouldn't give up BFing entirely. My 2nd son was pretty content to wait to get his milk from the tap so we did a lot of breastfeeding in the evenings/overnight/morning.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13