Thread: When did you get your period back EBF?

Default When did you get your period back EBF?

With my first, I was exclusively breastfeeding, and still got my period back at 6 weeks. That was right after the first time he went 4 hours at night without nursing. My periods came back regularly every month after that. I am pregnant now and worried that the same thing might happen again- especially since I have endo and I don't want it coming back before we are ready to TTC #3.

I am just tempted to nurse this baby every hour, lol, to make sure that doesn't happen again....

Anyone have their period come back quickly with one baby and not as soon with another? Or opinions?

I only have one child, he's 13 months old and I haven't gotten AF back. He has pretty much nursed around the clock every day since he's been born though lol and he's still not STTN. Although I did go back to work (pumping twice a day) from the time he was 5 months-11 months so he was obviously nursing a lot less during that time (but was still getting BM exclusively).

After my first it was about 8 months and I wasn't fully EBF him. I did EBF my second and I got my period back sooner. Around the 6 month mark. Both my DS were sttn by 4 months old. For me it didn't matter how many feedings or how long they went between feedings. It's when my hormones finally leveled out. That's my best guess.

Brenda

Ugh...so I'm wondering this too. I EP, so I'm wondering if that's different from feeding directly from the breast. But I pump like 8-9 times a day.

I'm almost 7 wk PP. I stopped bleeding at 3 weeks then at 4 weeks had a whole week of red bleeding. Everything I read said it couldn't possibly be a period. THEN last week I had ewcm--2 weeks after that "non-period"....I'm totally unhappy about this. If I have bleeding again in 2 weeks then I'll know for sure.

I'm going to my PP appt on Monday and am going to talk to my MW about it. I really don't want to go on BC but I don't want to get pg again anytime soon either.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

All my boys were EBF on demand and similar sleepers, but I had a completely different experience with each. AF returned at 3 months PP with my first, 9 months PP with my second, and around 12 months with my third.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    Ugh...so I'm wondering this too. I EP, so I'm wondering if that's different from feeding directly from the breast. But I pump like 8-9 times a day.

I'm almost 7 wk PP. I stopped bleeding at 3 weeks then at 4 weeks had a whole week of red bleeding. Everything I read said it couldn't possibly be a period. THEN last week I had ewcm--2 weeks after that "non-period"....I'm totally unhappy about this. If I have bleeding again in 2 weeks then I'll know for sure.

I'm going to my PP appt on Monday and am going to talk to my MW about it. I really don't want to go on BC but I don't want to get pg again anytime soon either.
    There have been a few times where I've been convinced I was ovulating (ewcm) and then cramping like AF was on her way, but still nada.

For me it was 8 weeks with my first and 12 weeks with the trio. I was pumping and breastfeeding pretty much every waking hour with the triplets and twice at night & still the witch came back.

Quote Originally Posted by kmrk336 View Post
    There have been a few times where I've been convinced I was ovulating (ewcm) and then cramping like AF was on her way, but still nada.
    That is comforting lol. I guess we'll see.

Blog Entries

Mine has come back sooner with each child: 8.5 weeks, 6.5 weeks and then 5.5 weeks. After my first two births, my period was immediately regular again. With this last one, my cycles have varied and generally been longer than normal.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

My first and second came back around the one year mark. With my third it came back at 6 months. But I got the depo shot, so I think that's why.

DD is 18 months and I just got it back two weeks ago! With my first, 12 months PP. Both kids breastfeed around the clock...

I didn't nurse for very long about 12 weeks but, my period was spotty I had PP bleeding for about 5.5 weeks then more around 7 weeks never got really heavy until around 4 months PP and then it started to come more regularly. Not to sound snarky breastfeeding isn't an automatic birth control if you worry about becoming pregnant and really don't want another baby as I was told after both children by my gyn which it didn't matter with my first because I was formula feeding and on BPC's but, with my daughter I had my tubes tied six weeks after she was born. I used a condom a couple of weeks before the procedure to be safe.
    *** Lindsay ***

I EP'd, but I don't think it really makes a difference in this case. Anyways, I had PP bleeding for about 8 weeks, and then got my first PP period around 3 months PP, when DS started sleeping through the night, and I was too tired to wake up and pump without him. But I only ever had that one period until I stopped EP'ing at nearly 8 months because despite my best efforts, I had dried up. My cycles have been regular ever since.
    Last edited by Adhafera; 08-24-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by As Is View Post
    For me it was 8 weeks with my first and 12 weeks with the trio. I was pumping and breastfeeding pretty much every waking hour with the triplets and twice at night & still the witch came back.
    haha- wow! That is not encouraging at all!!

It is crazy that it can be so different for everyone. Thanks for all the responses.

I just looked up some info on Kellymom.com that I had in the back of my mind.
    "Breastfeeding frequency and total amount of time spent breastfeeding per 24 hours are the strongest factors leading to the return of fertility: a mother is more likely to see the return of fertility if baby’s nursing frequency and/or duration is reduced, particularly if the change is abrupt.
    In some populations, research has shown that night nursing slows the return to fertility."
    I guess it doesn't work for everyone! I will keep my fingers crossed--(for you too, Natalie!)

Thanks! Congrats on your pregnancy btw!