Thread: Goody bags

Default Goody bags

My DD turns 5 soon and we are doing a party where she can invite all her classmates (this is her 4th and final year at the same school). We only have done small family parties so this is new territory for me. She really wanted it at the zoo but it is booked a year in advance and I needed it to be as stress free as possible with so many possible guests. So we are going w a bouncy house.

I originally knew I would do a goody bag but I don't know if it is necessary. It seems she has always gotten them when we went to parties but honestly, they get thrown away quickly. What do you all think? Will the kids miss them?

No, I don't think they'll be missed!

If you feel like you don't want to do the whole goody bag thing but you want them to leave with a little something, Noe has enjoyed leaving parties with a balloon, a little book of stickers or tattoos, a small toy or dress-up item related to the party theme (for instance, a dinosaur mask at a dino party), a paper or felt crown, etc. At her parties, one year we gave the kids homemade felt superhero masks and one year homemade playdough. CDs also are a fun idea -- we've gotten a few kids' song mixes on CD from parties, like "Grady's 4th Birthday Jams" or "Owen's Party Songs" and they have really gotten a lot of use here at home. Years later Noe still plays them.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I agree they won't be missed.

I think it depends on the kids some kids love them some just don't care. We did them this year and they kids seemed to like them. I don't think anyone is going to really going to miss them though.
    *** Lindsay ***

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

It seems more and more that goody bags aren't being done at the parties my kids go to. Or maybe it's because they're older. Either way, I think you'll be fine without goody bags. The bouncy stuff will keep them busy, you know?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Around here, kids leave with a balloon or something small like that. Pepperlu had some great ideas.

They wont be missed. Lately, I see less and less goodie bags. Some people either give a book or something along the party theme. Some parents like me dont bother with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Around here, kids leave with a balloon or something small like that. Pepperlu had some great ideas.
    I agree!!!!! I may look for a bouncy ball big enough not to be lost or a balloon if the place allows them.

Thanks This is going to be a no stress party!!!!

We've never done a bag. We give a book to each kid instead.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I usually try very hard to have no gifts at our birthday parties, so what I do is a book exchange, and people can bring books if they want, and they leave with a book. I usually get some extra books to give to the guests and my kids, often in the theme of the party. This past year we had a dragon theme, so I had a bunch of dragon-related books and also some mini knight and dragon figurines that originally surrounded the cake. Ours was at a bouncy house too, and if yours is anything like ours they are fairly flexible for gifts or no gifts. They will provide balloons if you want, too.

Blog Entries

I would love to do a no gift party! Lydia book exchange idea is neat...Maybe next party we will try that. Actually, the next party is tomorrow for DD 2. Her theme is Frozen (Of course!! She is turning 5! ) so instead of goody bags I bought small white containers of play doh and put them in a Ziploc bag, along with a set of googly eyes, two small twigs, and small pieces of Orange crayon. The bag is labeled Do you wanna build a snowman? Hopefully the kids like it!

Very clever!

How cute!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    I would love to do a no gift party! Lydia book exchange idea is neat...Maybe next party we will try that. Actually, the next party is tomorrow for DD 2. Her theme is Frozen (Of course!! She is turning 5! ) so instead of goody bags I bought small white containers of play doh and put them in a Ziploc bag, along with a set of googly eyes, two small twigs, and small pieces of Orange crayon. The bag is labeled Do you wanna build a snowman? Hopefully the kids like it!