Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Sophia is still mistaken for a baby

  1. #1

    Unhappy Sophia is still mistaken for a baby

    I know I should brush it off because I shouldn't be bothered but, the thing is she IS bothered. She is a toddler 2 years 9 months, she's petite yes very much so but normal for her. She gets called a "baby" out in public sometimes. She says "I not baby". Then I get "Oh she must be an earlier talker" until I say "Um.. she's 2.5". . I just don't want her feel bad. I know its life with ignorant rude people it just sucks. I guess this is more of vent more than anything.
    *** Lindsay ***



  2. #2

    Default

    I've said before that my #5 is small, extremely small for her age, like below the 1st percentile. She's still wearing size 6 bottoms now and some 7/8 shirts. She's 10. People assume and always have that she is much younger than her age. it does annoy her sometimes. ALL her friends, even the ones 2 or 3 younger than her are taller. She's always the shortest in any classor lesson she does.

    I just tell her that is what makes her special. the good thing is that people tend to expect a child to act their age, not size. So when she was a baby/toddler/preschooler no one had unrealistic expectations for her. My friend has a child who is 8wks older and is HUGE, she's the same height as my 15yr old now at 10, so just over 5ft. People have always expected so much more from her. She and my daughter would be goofing off and people would scold her but sweetly ask my dd to stop.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,073
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    My DS2 is at the other end. He's 3.5 and is big for his age. People do expect more from him, assuming he is at least 5. Up until my DD grew quickly this last year, I was asked constantly if they were twins (she is 16 months older).

    I think that people comment about nearly everything when it comes to children.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I've said before that my #5 is small, extremely small for her age, like below the 1st percentile. She's still wearing size 6 bottoms now and some 7/8 shirts. She's 10. People assume and always have that she is much younger than her age. it does annoy her sometimes. ALL her friends, even the ones 2 or 3 younger than her are taller. She's always the shortest in any classor lesson she does.

    I just tell her that is what makes her special. the good thing is that people tend to expect a child to act their age, not size. So when she was a baby/toddler/preschooler no one had unrealistic expectations for her. My friend has a child who is 8wks older and is HUGE, she's the same height as my 15yr old now at 10, so just over 5ft. People have always expected so much more from her. She and my daughter would be goofing off and people would scold her but sweetly ask my dd to stop.
    That's a shame for your daughter's friend to be treated that way and I do remember talking about your daughter being petite. Sophia has always being in the 1% for weight and 3% for height she was >5% only during the first month of birth. Right now I've been telling her she is my big girl for going potty several times a day for the last few days. Cody tells her "You are growing up Sophia".
    *** Lindsay ***



  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    My DS2 is at the other end. He's 3.5 and is big for his age. People do expect more from him, assuming he is at least 5. Up until my DD grew quickly this last year, I was asked constantly if they were twins (she is 16 months older).

    I think that people comment about nearly everything when it comes to children.
    I think it can be good if its praise KWIM like "Oh your child is so well behaved for such and such". At the same time like how you are saying its probably at the least frustrating for people to not understand and have patience for a child that appears to be older. There seems to be a stigma for both sides I think IMO.
    *** Lindsay ***



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12,069

    Default

    I don't think most people intend to be rude or ignorant with comments like that. If she looks much younger, you can't really expect them to know she's not, right? They have no other way of knowing. I think they are just trying to make small talk about your kids, which is usually with kind intentions, even if what they say doesn't end up coming across well.
    Of course, as an adult YOU can understand that, but your daughter is very young and won't be able to yet. I think, like runningmom said, it would be good to just work with her on knowing she is just right for who she is.

  7. #7

    Default

    I still call my nearly 6 year old "baby" and I'm pretty sure my Mom still calls me "baby."

    Maybe you could work on removing the stigma from that word?
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I still call my nearly 6 year old "baby" and I'm pretty sure my Mom still calls me "baby."

    Maybe you could work on removing the stigma from that word?
    How can I change that exactly?
    *** Lindsay ***



  9. #9

    Default

    nm
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 08-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***



  10. #10

    Default

    My son is 3.5 and have very small for his age. He is highly offended by the word "baby". Whenever I tell people how hold he is, they comment on how tiny he is and I say, in a light manner, oh he does not like to hear that. He is very strong and fast. you know! So of course I'm saying that for his benefit but it lets them know too, that they should stop talking about his size. My 7 yo son is also small for his age and used to literally hang his head when people made exclamations to how small he was. It broke my heart.

    It's hard to remove the stigma when people make such a big deal about kids being "so big!". The thing is, I'm sure I did it all the time before I had kids, commented on their size.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    My son is 3.5 and have very small for his age. He is highly offended by the word "baby". Whenever I tell people how hold he is, they comment on how tiny he is and I say, in a light manner, oh he does not like to hear that. He is very strong and fast. you know! So of course I'm saying that for his benefit but it lets them know too, that they should stop talking about his size. My 7 yo son is also small for his age and used to literally hang his head when people made exclamations to how small he was. It broke my heart.

    It's hard to remove the stigma when people make such a big deal about kids being "so big!". The thing is, I'm sure I did it all the time before I had kids, commented on their size.
    Both of my children are very strong and fast too and I do like your approach of mentioning that to strangers. I think I'll try that if people give me one of these looks or .
    *** Lindsay ***



  12. #12

    Default

    I know i'm guilty of mentioning a child's size. It's usually when i'm taken aback at how tall a child it in comparison to my shorties, but i do try not to say anything. I have found that people tend to be proud of how tall their kids are, so i try to take that same attitude with my little ones. i have used all the cliches "good things come in small packages" "She has a big personality" etc. Sometimes when they were babies i would just go with it and say "yes, he's very advanced for his age!"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,933

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Thanks Suja! I love that and will get it soon!
    *** Lindsay ***



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •