Thread: Are TB tests safe during your first tri?

Default Are TB tests safe during your first tri?

I'm trying to register for school and I neeeeed a tb test. My dr won't give me one bc I'm in my first trimester. My school won't let me register without it. I can go somewhere else for the tb, but is it safe? I've had them before while pregnant, just this clinic won't give it to me. What's the deal?

My midwife told me it was a Category C, which means the effects have never been tested. She recommended that I not have the test performed during my pregnancy, so I waited.

Does the school know your pregnant? I would suggest seeing if they will make an exception with a Doctor's note. Is it a nursing program or medical program? Why do they need it?

I found this from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/populati...cy/default.htm
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 08-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***

Here is a link to several exemption forms for the state of Hawaii (if I remember correctly that is where you live).

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/hawaii.htm#letters

Can you do an alternate test? For example, I think when a person is allergic to the TB serum, they do a chest x-ray instead. Would that be an option?

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Thanks for the responses! In Hawaii, Tb tests are required. Every school, no matter what. And exceptions are not allowed. I had my dr write a note and the school called the dept of health. The health dept said it's not valid bc "you are able to get a tb test any time."

Ughhhhh. We don't even vaccinate (not trying to start a debate). And I NEVER do anything while pregnant. And now this. Idk what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! In Hawaii, Tb tests are required. Every school, no matter what. And exceptions are not allowed. I had my dr write a note and the school called the dept of health. The health dept said it's not valid bc "you are able to get a tb test any time."

Ughhhhh. We don't even vaccinate (not trying to start a debate). And I NEVER do anything while pregnant. And now this. Idk what to do.
    Gosh that sucks Here there aren't many instances where a TB test would be required unless its a Medical school with direct contact. I am wondering if online would be an option I can't do online and focus enough but, I do know some moms can.
    *** Lindsay ***

I am doing it online! That's the thing. It's so silly! I'm just really bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    I am doing it online! That's the thing. It's so silly! I'm just really bummed.
    Wow that's ridiculous. I am so sorry you are going through that. It totally doesn't make any sense on this Earth that they would need it.
    Maybe they can check in a different way perhaps a blood draw?
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 08-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***

The CDC considers the TB skin test safe during pregnancy. It is only contraindicated in people who have had a severe reaction to the test in the past (pregnant or not).
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

i can't imagine why ig would be contraindicated in pregnancy, it is not administered systemically, only locally in the skin. A chect x-ray would be contraindicated in early pregnancyhowever, so don't do that!.

I'm a nurse and we have to have a TB test every year. I had it while I was pregnant without any issues at all. Would definitley be safer than and x-ray. I would be comfortable getting a skin test.
    Me(31)&DH(35). Married-2005
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I think it is safe; I did it!

I had to do it too. I work for an HMO hospital and it isn't optional. I did manage to avoid it until I hit second trimester but I barely made it in under their deadline.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I had one during first tri with my first baby. I worked in healthcare and it was required.