Thread: Heartburn/GERD/gastritis...

Default Heartburn/GERD/gastritis...

I know some of you are also dealing with those things...what are you doing to manage or what have you found that helps?

I've been on nexium since 13wks, but have been having heartburn/reflux again which I take maalox for. Last night though I had an attack of gastritis ...haven't had one in a long time, wow, not fun ! I'm out of maalox so I took 4 tums which did absolutely nothing. The pain and nausea got severe so I took a zofran, 2 tylenol, and 2 benadryl which helped a little until it subsided. They always last about 3-4hrs...had it lasted any longer I was going to go to ER. My stomach feels sore today and I have a stiff neck from sleeping in an awkward position (trying to get comfortable ). I'm calling my dr because I absolutely do not want to go through that again if it can be prevented. I'm not sure what else can be done though . I have no idea what triggered it.

Lizzy, you said your dr doubled your dose of prevacid...wondering if nexium can be taken twice per day...going to ask .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

What did you eat yesterday? Did you have something that would trigger all that?

It seemed that I was having a revisit of all those problems last week ... I had stopped taking a daily acid reducer for a bit there because I wasn't having any problems, but I added it back once all that started up again. I also went and got a Chiropractic adjustment and a massage and I believe both helped. I would definitely check into taking the nexium twice a day. We're definitely getting to the "squished organ" phase so I imagine that's a HUGE factor.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I can't remember if Nexium can be taken twice a day, but I would definitely ask your doc. I don't really have heartburn, but the doctors think it is acid reflux causing my cough. I have been dealing with nausea and vomiting all week...not really sure why... but it hasn't been fun.
    Hope you are able to start feeling better soon!
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Nexium like many ppi's can have a plateau effect for many people. So it doesn't work after a while.. If you read the insert its only supposed to be temporary use. I don't like taking it. I've only taken it once and that was to help heal an ulcer.

We weaned dh slowly..it takes weeks...off nexium. You can't stop cold turkey or you'll be in pain. He now control's his gerd with acid ease and dgl. I have found taking dgl when pregnant has really helped but it isn't a miracle cure. I have found some triggor foods for me. And chiro care helps tremendously. But I still deal with it and nausea. Apples and organic apple cider vinegar helps a lot too.

I'm sorry you're feeling crappy, Kelly. Gastritis attacks stink! I've had them before and not known what they are and gone to the ER for them. Right now I'm attempting to control my heartburn with zantac and tums and a glass of milk an hour before bed. Its working OK but sometimes it doesn't help and I'm still popping tums all night. Anyway it sounds like you're doing what you need and definately contacting doc to ask about what else can be done. This is not a fun stage of pregnancy, I'm tired of feeling squished.

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    What did you eat yesterday? Did you have something that would trigger all that?

It seemed that I was having a revisit of all those problems last week ... I had stopped taking a daily acid reducer for a bit there because I wasn't having any problems, but I added it back once all that started up again. I also went and got a Chiropractic adjustment and a massage and I believe both helped. I would definitely check into taking the nexium twice a day. We're definitely getting to the "squished organ" phase so I imagine that's a HUGE factor.
    The only thing I had that I haven't eaten this pg is avocado, but I can't imagine that would cause an issue ??

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    Nexium like many ppi's can have a plateau effect for many people. So it doesn't work after a while.. If you read the insert its only supposed to be temporary use. I don't like taking it. I've only taken it once and that was to help heal an ulcer.

We weaned dh slowly..it takes weeks...off nexium. You can't stop cold turkey or you'll be in pain. He now control's his gerd with acid ease and dgl. I have found taking dgl when pregnant has really helped but it isn't a miracle cure. I have found some triggor foods for me. And chiro care helps tremendously. But I still deal with it and nausea. Apples and organic apple cider vinegar helps a lot too.
    I've taken Nexium in the 2nd and 3rd tri with my last two pgs and never had any problems. It usually takes me a couple weeks to wean off also to prevent rebound symptoms. I don't have a problem with GERD/gastritis*at all* outside of pg and the first 6months pp...I personally feel it's from the LD aspirin, but I'm not sure. I absolutely cannot have cider vinegar ...my mw had me try it the first time I had symptoms and it worsened the reflux considerably. What is dgl? I've been meaning to make a chiro appt for months now ...really should do that!

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post
    I'm sorry you're feeling crappy, Kelly. Gastritis attacks stink! I've had them before and not known what they are and gone to the ER for them. Right now I'm attempting to control my heartburn with zantac and tums and a glass of milk an hour before bed. Its working OK but sometimes it doesn't help and I'm still popping tums all night. Anyway it sounds like you're doing what you need and definately contacting doc to ask about what else can be done. This is not a fun stage of pregnancy, I'm tired of feeling squished.
    Thanks Elle...it is crummy for sure !!!

I talked to the nurse at my OB's and she said to keep taking zofran for the nausea as needed. She's going to talk to the OB about it to get his thoughts...apparently my pulmo commented in his notes that it's very important my GERD/gastritis is under control since it can exacerbate asthma symptoms so she wanted to make absolute sure there was nothing more I should be doing.

The pain/burning and nausea have been mild today (took zofran once and tylenol every 4hrs), but I still feel weak, dizzy, and fatigued...I don't know why these leave me so completely wiped out, but it usually takes me a few days to fully recover. I'm just really glad it all eased up last night...I was starting to worry it was something more serious (my stomach was hard and distended which has never happened before) .

Blog Entries

Avocado is considered a high histamine food. Since histamine causes the secretion of your digestion enzymes/acids/etc any high histamine food can cause an exacerbation of GERD/heartburn. Apple Cider Vinegar is also high histamine and can do the same thing.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Avocado sometimes causes me a heartburn. No advice, just lots of hugs.

Kelly...dgl is deglycyrrhizinated licorice.. It is safe in pregnancy but always check with your doc. It would help coat you stomach and help with gastritis. Jessica had a good point about hystimine and vinegar. Jess do you know if milk is high hystimine?

..yeah I don't have gerd outside of pregnancy either. I have IBS bouts so I think that's related for me and still goes back to the disk in my back. Hense why chiro care helps so much.....hope you get relief...hugs...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degly...nated_licorice

Blog Entries

Kelly...dgl is deglycyrrhizinated licorice.. It is safe in pregnancy but always check with your doc. It would help coat you stomach and help with gastritis. Jessica had a good point about hystimine and vinegar. Jess do you know if milk is high hystimine?

..yeah I don't have gerd outside of pregnancy either. I have IBS bouts so I think that's related for me and still goes back to the disk in my back. Hense why chiro care helps so much.....hope you get relief...hugs...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degly...nated_licorice

CUltured milk products are high histamine. Milk itself is not.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Wow, we're getting some really interesting info here! I never in a million years would have suspected avocado as a culprit!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Thanks ladies!

Brenda, I think I remember you mentioning IBS...dh has IBS and has a hard time keeping symptoms in check . He tries to control it with diet, but sometimes he gets bouts despite keeping on the straight and narrow so he doesn't always know what triggers it. Maybe I'll mention the chiro to him...he's leery of chiros, lol, but he may be willing to try it if he gets desperate . He does have chronic hip pain so that might get him in the door anyway.

Jess, that is interesting! When I get flare-ups of gastritis, my joints ache too which always made me wonder if it's a systemic reaction to something or if it's just how my immune system reacts to inflammation because of the AI thyroid disease or even if that's just normal with gastritis . Symptoms other than the severe pain/burning and nausea are: dizziness, uncontrollable shaking/chills, sweating, and weakness which are very intense and last about 3-4hrs and then gradually subside over the course of a few days.

Is sauerkraut high histamine (since it's cultured)? I had sauerkraut this week, but I did fine the first two times I had it so I didn't associate it with that.

I've read stress is a contributing factor and I have been under more-than-my-average stress load...I'm sure that's not helping . I'm doing what I can to cope though...not sure what more I could do.

The one thing I've found that soothes the pain once I can eat again is oatmeal...seems to coat my stomach or absorb the extra acid or something, but it does help.

Still having the burning pain and mild nausea today (not taking zofran unless it gets worse...no side effects from it yet, but I don't want to risk it since that'll just make my current issues worse). I'm taking tylenol for my stiff neck...it's actually the entire left side of my neck, upper back, and chest so I have to wait until the tylenol kicks in to even use my inhalers (deep breaths/coughs make it spasm), but anyway, it takes the edge off the stomach pain too.

There are a few other things I do want to talk with my OB about...still a little concerned and want affirmation it's not a hernia, gall bladder, crohn's, ulcer, etc...since usually when I start Nexium I don't have any more issues with heartburn/gastritis. I always have mild reflux in my 3rd tri, but it's not painful/uncomfortable, lol, just gross . I had testing done when this first started 5yrs ago, but because of pg/bfing all my dr could do was: H. Pylori (neg), celiac (antibodies), CBC w/ wbc diff and metabolic panel (I was anemic, but that could be from the gastritis or the Nexium and my liver enzymes were slightly off), and a gall bladder u/s (normal). My dr wanted to do an upper endoscopy and an abdominal CT scan with contrast, but said I'd have to "pump and dump" for both...my baby was less than 6wks old at the time and I wasn't willing to go that long without bfing, let alone pump/dump afterwards. By the time she was old enough where I felt comfortable enough to leave her to have the tests done, my symptoms had improved so I decided against the testing.

Thanks for the suggestions and support ladies! This pg has been a bit more challenging than my previous pgs . I'm glad I have a doppler...been checking on baby daily lately and s/he seems to be handling things fine .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Thanks ladies!
    Jess, that is interesting! When I get flare-ups of gastritis, my joints ache too which always made me wonder if it's a systemic reaction to something or if it's just how my immune system reacts to inflammation because of the AI thyroid disease or even if that's just normal with gastritis . Symptoms other than the severe pain/burning and nausea are: dizziness, uncontrollable shaking/chills, sweating, and weakness which are very intense and last about 3-4hrs and then gradually subside over the course of a few days.

Is sauerkraut high histamine (since it's cultured)? I had sauerkraut this week, but I did fine the first two times I had it so I didn't associate it with that.
    Anything fermented or cultured is high histamine so sauerkraut is high histamine. What might have happened is that you had too many high histamine foods in a short period of time that it surpassed your body's ability to degrade all of the histamine (your body makes two enzymes to degrade histamine). I regularly have all the symptoms you describe (not necessarily all at once) due to my mast cells going nuts. All of your symptoms could be attributed to histamine.

Maybe all of these lovely issues are God's way of preparing you to really be done with having kids?

I remember wishing that the desire to have another child would just leave me (or I'd get pregnant) when we were trying for Gideon ... sometimes these prayers are answered in less than desirable ways.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Maybe all of these lovely issues are God's way of preparing you to really be done with having kids?

I remember wishing that the desire to have another child would just leave me (or I'd get pregnant) when we were trying for Gideon ... sometimes these prayers are answered in less than desirable ways.
    It's working !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Thanks ladies!

Brenda, I think I remember you mentioning IBS...dh has IBS and has a hard time keeping symptoms in check . He tries to control it with diet, but sometimes he gets bouts despite keeping on the straight and narrow so he doesn't always know what triggers it. Maybe I'll mention the chiro to him...he's leery of chiros, lol, but he may be willing to try it if he gets desperate . He does have chronic hip pain so that might get him in the door anyway.

J.
    Yes kelly have him checked out. But try to find a "wellness chriro" in your area that focuses on spinal manipulation AND PT and overall health/diet..Many chiro's are just startight chiro and do not focus on PT and people don't see results. Chronic hip pain may mean his hip and lower spine is just off enough. My right hip is higher then my left because of one very very slight misalignment in a disk in my lower back. That is also the area that controls digestion....So if I stay regularly aligned my hips are even and my bowl movements are regular. Thought, I only recognize hip pain during pregnancy i know when not pregnant i'm off and especially when I get IBS bouts...

Brenda

Yes kelly have him checked out. But try to find a "wellness chriro" in your area that focuses on spinal manipulation AND PT and overall health/diet..Many chiro's are just startight chiro and do not focus on PT and people don't see results. Chronic hip pain may mean his hip and lower spine is just off enough. My right hip is higher then my left because of one very very slight misalignment in a disk in my lower back. That is also the area that controls digestion....So if I stay regularly aligned my hips are even and my bowl movements are regular. Thought, I only recognize hip pain during pregnancy i know when not pregnant i'm off and especially when I get IBS bouts...
    We have a couple Wellness Center options in our area...will have to check them out .

Maybe sooner rather than later since this "stiff neck" is getting worse . It's not really a stiff neck anymore...I have good range of motion, it's just my neck, chest, and back hurt constantly (spasm-type pain) whether I move or not and I'm getting shooting pains down my arm and my hand gets tingly. I'm starting to think it's a nerve thing rather than a muscle thing. Tylenol takes the edge off and heat packs help, but I think I need to see the chiro. Even my low back is starting to hurt...maybe from compensating?

I just want to add something and don't ane to scare but it is a thought: a friend's wife developed a very serious heart disorder during pregnancy and it was taken for stomach disorder till it was... well, too late. She had to deliver the baby at 32 weeks and passed away couple weeks later as there was nothing that could be done. I forgot the name of this disorder - I will ask when I see him. Thankfully all was fine with the baby and he is now 6+ years old lovely boy.

Gerd/reflux is very similar to heart disorder symptoms. So if you are having such severe reactions even with meds - do have your doctor check your heart along with other things. Just in case. I always get arrhythmia and dizziness with reflux and it worries me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    I just want to add something and don't ane to scare but it is a thought: a friend's wife developed a very serious heart disorder during pregnancy and it was taken for stomach disorder till it was... well, too late. She had to deliver the baby at 32 weeks and passed away couple weeks later as there was nothing that could be done. I forgot the name of this disorder - I will ask when I see him. Thankfully all was fine with the baby and he is now 6+ years old lovely boy.

Gerd/reflux is very similar to heart disorder symptoms. So if you are having such severe reactions even with meds - do have your doctor check your heart along with other things. Just in case. I always get arrhythmia and dizziness with reflux and it worries me so much.
    Thank you for this Varya! I actually have a tendency to really blow things off once I feel better so this is kind of a bug in my ear to remember to make sure I talk with my OB about it all tomorrow !!

TMI, lol, but oh my word, so glad I didn't have to take the zofran any longer than I did...my intestines finally feel like they're working again, oy, why oh why does it have to have that side effect, ugh !

Also, today is my first day not having to take tylenol for the nerve pain I was having. It was still bothering me a little when I woke up, but eased as the day went on .

I'm definitely feeling 100% as of this afternoon !

So happy you feel better!!!!