Thread: disneyland

Default disneyland

We had been planning to take a family vacay while our oldest boys were still living with us. we talked about it all winter and spring but never made reservations. DH just wouldn't DO IT. He said last week that we should just wait until Dec but i said NO WAY we'll never do it if we wait until then.

So, i decided we were just going to disney, trite, a cop out, whatever, but it's relatively close (2hr flight) and somewhat easy to plan.

Anyway, I'm making reservations tomorrow. I was looking at the Disneyland hotel. it has a suite that can fit us all (9 total including my mom and 6 kids 2,10,13,15,17,19) it has a fun stuff to do there, and the pool/slide looks really fun. we will only go to the parks 1 day, maybe 2 and i want a nice place to just hang out and have fun.

Is it worth staying at the disney resort? it is more expensive than other hotels, though not significantly more than some i looked at, even other places with suites. The hotel is by far our biggest expense. I was hoping to at least have a mini fridge to keep some stuff for breakfast or snacks so we don't have to eat out every single meal. I've budgeted $400/day for food, which im hoping is realistic.Thats about $10/meal plus snacks.

Do we need to have a car? It will actually be cheaper if we rent 2 cars, but i hate to drive or split up. i'm assuming there are shuttles from the airport? if we aren't going to the parks everyday, are there enough things close by that we can walk to?

sorry for the stream of conciousness Any tips appreciated

When we went to disney land we stayed here http://anaheimvacationrentals.weebly.com/photos.html and it was sooooooo much cheaper and has all of the same amenities. Best thing is that it's walking distance to the gate/trams. In fact it's just across the street from the disney hotel which was double per night. Disneyland is so compact you can stay off resort on an adjacent property and save a ton and be able to walk to both parks and to downtown disney. Some of the hotels have free shuttle service directly to the disney entrance. Or you can easily find a large vacation home rental within walking distance. If you were going to disneyworld in florida it's so spread out that it maybe worth it to pay the extra to stay on the resort. But I felt for disneyland it's not worth it to stay on the property. Be ware of the extra parking charges for both disney restort hotels and some of the adjacent hotels.

When we went we always ate breakfast in the condo. And I usually packed sandwiches for our lunches. Then we at dinner at the park. Or since the condo was sooooo close we would walk back to the condo for nap time and eat dinner in the condo before we went back out to the parks. We spent less then 20.00 total a day in the park for food or snacks.

We rented a car to get from the airport to condo and then to have to drive around. (we used hotwire for the car and it only cost us 150 for 8 days for an SUV.) But we rarely used it. You could probably get away without a rental car because there are so many shuttles, taxies..but We liked having access to the freedom to go to the beach or another nearby attraction one day.

Our breakdown of costs were

Condo-1100.00 for week (that included taxes and FREE PARKING)
    Car-150 for week
    food and spending money-we budgeted 100 per day per person over 10. But we came back with a ton of money. Groceries were about 100.00 for the week. And we spent about another 100-200 on extra food and snacks for the week. We spent maybe 200 on souvenirs.
    Tickets--500.00 for 3 day park hopper. We took out a disney credit card and they gave us a 250 credit. So we used that to purchase my Ds #1 ticket. We paid out of pocket for me and DH tickets and our DS #2 was free since he was under 3.

Side note..we used a software called Ride max and it saved us a ton of wait time on rides. We rarely waited over 15 minutes for rides. Disneyland was our fav vacation as a family so far.

here is the disney/aneheim vbro site..you may find something better then the resort. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...m-area/anaheim
    Last edited by pants; 08-19-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Brenda

thanks! some of those places do still have openings and look pretty nice. I have mixed feelings about getting a house or condo. It does save a ton of money, both in accomodations and food. But when we do go away here we always stay in a condo at the coast, and it's less of a vacation for me. KWIM? also we have never taken a vacation in a hotel, just a night here and there between places, i kind of want the kids to have that experience. Probably silly

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    thanks! some of those places do still have openings and look pretty nice. I have mixed feelings about getting a house or condo. It does save a ton of money, both in accomodations and food. But when we do go away here we always stay in a condo at the coast, and it's less of a vacation for me. KWIM? also we have never taken a vacation in a hotel, just a night here and there between places, i kind of want the kids to have that experience. Probably silly
    I hear ya in one way. In another way, I feel like I do get more vacation from rental house then hotel. because we each have more room and our own spaces. We just like having privacy when we are with the kids. Plus I find my young ones sleep sooooooo much better when they have their own room. If we were all crammed in a hotel room DH and I just don't feel like we are on vacation either because we don't get to put the kids to bed and get some adult time. We like to sit out on the back deck or sit in the hot tub or something when the kids go to bed for the evening when were on vacation. At least I know I don't have to clean the house...I may have to cook..but not clean. But I can understand ya about not feeling like you get vacation time!

Brenda

most of my kids are older, 4 teens, 10yr old and then the "baby" who will be 3 in sept. so there is no downtime after the kids go to bed because they stay up later than we do Staying in a hotel in resort means the older kids can go wander off on their own, or stay in the room if they need a break. And dh and i can still go sit in the hot tub. we are just in a different stage in life. But a hotel does mean we have kids in the room with us, so zero privacy.

I am trying to find the name of the hotel we stayed at, but we stayed one night at a hotel near Disneyland March 2013. I believe at least some of the rooms were suites, and there was a pool (I know because our room "overlooked" it (it was indoor, or at least within the building). We were able to walk to a nearby area with restaurants and shopping, and there are shuttles to and from the airport and parks to most of the hotels. And if the shuttles don't go directly to your hotel, they go to one within just a few blocks so it isn't a big deal to get there from another hotel. There are a lot of different suite hotels nearby as well, and the websites will all tell you if they have shuttles or at least where to catch the nearest one.

If you plan on going to both parks, plan a day at each. I haven't been to California Adventure (grew up in So Cal going to the original, and have only gone for day trips since so haven't made the time for the second park) but from what I have heard they are both small enough to do in a day, but you would miss out on stuff I think if you tried to do both parks in one day.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Ditto pp..allow a park a day at least. Especially if your going during a busy season or spanning a weekend.

I would also do a park a day at least. I stayed at the the Disneyland hotel often growing up since the had amazing deals for firefighters. It was awesome. We went and stayed there 3 years ago and so not impressed. Even for the three of us the room was cramped, the pool looked awesome but we didn't use it that trip. The biggest advantage is the free monorail into the park.
    We're going either November or Febuary and staying off grounds this time in a place with a family suite. Have you looked at the Howard Johnson with the water park? It has resort transportation or is on the park transit system. If I had kids old enough to use the pool on their own, that'd be my plan. I do want to stay at Grand Californian someday but I think that might be a trip for just hubby and I.