Thread: Revealing our pregnancy to the kids

Default Revealing our pregnancy to the kids

With our 4th pregnancy, we revealed it to the kids by baking a cake. The decoration was a family theme and I put dad, mom, dd1, ds, dd2, and an extra baby in a diaper on there. They counted the people on the cake and dh and I were like surprise!! They were STOKED. We have an almost 7 year old dd (going on 17), a 5 year old ds, 2 year old dd, and 7 month old. Obviously it's for the older two mostly lol.

Here's another issue. Our 7 year old is less than enthused with the idea of having another bro/sis. Not quite sure why as she always enjoyed my pregnancies, coming to my appointments with me, having a new baby sister. The possibility of having a brother is what she doesn't like about it. Our son (5) wants 10 more kids like me lol. Either way, boy or girl, he's happy.

How do we reveal to the kids while being sensitive to our oldest's feelings?

do you have to tell them all at the same time? or can you tell the 7 yr old and have her help you tell the others?

I agree with making her a co-conspirator. That would also be a good time to find out why she is less than thrilled (doesn't want to share mom any more than she does now?), and to talk about it.

I would suggest taking the 7yr old for ice cream or dinner, so that you and dh can focus on her emotionally before reveling to the younger ones

That's a wonderful idea. She would totally dig that!!!!