Thread: Interesting: breastmilk fragility myth busted

Default Interesting: breastmilk fragility myth busted

Some of you may have been told or have heard that shaking expressed BM damages it. Well someone decided to actually figure out if that's true, the results are interesting!

http://biomarkersandmilk.blogspot.co...ually.html?m=1

"There is no published evidence to support that shaking actually damages breast milk when compared to swirling. Many of the issues identified with shaking are better described as myths, and simply do not hold up when the actual shear forces are calculated. Certainly, it would be awesome if we could do an in depth study of this – have women swirl and shake milk with sensors on the hand and in the milk cup and actually measure the acceleration of the hand and then analyze the milk. I suspect however, that we wouldn’t find much damage.

...a really excellent point about this myth – “Really I think it's just one more way to make breastfeeding seem super hard and easy to mess up.” And it seems to be one piece of advice that while well meaning, may contribute to the persistent idea that human milk is fragile, easily damaged, and requires a high degree of care. It serves as one more perceived “threat” mothers (and fathers and caregivers) pose to human milk – the “if you aren’t careful, you’ll damage it and you can’t damage formula*” underlying subtext that serves to undermine breastfeeding mothers."
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Interesting. My mom and I used to shake the milk for DS1 and then we read that it ruins the enzymes so we stopped and felt bad for a long time that we used to shake the bottles LOL (I worked full time till he was 13-14 months and my mom watched him)
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I was so glad to see that. I think it was just one more thing to feel guilty about! My husband never believed it

Nice! So good to read! With all that women are given to endure through pregnancy, labor, and birthing, I myself refuse to believe that my milk is fragile in any way!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I've heard this before, but have never followed the "swirl, don't shake advice". I have breastfed 3 babies now and always worked full-time/pumped for a year with my first two and now 6 1/2 months so far with this baby. I ALWAYS shake my milk, it's the only way I can get the fat off the sides of the pump bottles after it's been refrigerated. My babies have all done great and I've never noticed any issues with them or the milk by doing so.
    3/2013

Blog Entries

Ha! This never made much sense to me personally. Those enzymes are also in our body and if they denature with a little shaking wouldn't we all be in big trouble? How about jogging breastfeeding moms? Should moms not jog to prevent denaturing of the proteins in the milk being produced?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I was glad to read this too. I EP'd for nearly 8 months and though I tried to remember to swirl, I admit to shaking it more often than not. The fat just didn't mix back in otherwise. I never noticed any issues with my son or the milk either way, so I'm not worried!
    Jennifer

Jennifer-- yeah me too, on the EPing. I will admit it took about a day for me to remember that shaking it was ok LOL.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!