Thread: Twisting her neck wrong? Or what?

Default Twisting her neck wrong? Or what?

I don't know if this is anything to even worry about, but its been happening frequently enough to see a pattern. My 2 year old will be walking around and suddenly start crying that her neck hurts. Its always on the left side up near her head. I'm not sure if she is just twisting it funny, and kinking it? It happens every couple days, sometimes two or three days in a row. Not usually more than once a day. So its not really often, its just weird that its always that same side, and its not that she is bumping it or anything.

So for peace of mind, this is nothing to worry about, right?

Is it in the morning after she wakes up? I wonder if she is sleeping on it the wrong way. That's my only idea.
    *** Lindsay ***

No, its usually later in the day/evening.

have you felt the area? is there a lump, knot or barely noticeable bump? if nothing is felt then i wouldn't worry, if you feel something i would call a dr.
    is she doing it for attention?
    i hope you find a cause or she stops hurting soon.

Blog Entries

Strange. Does the area look or feel different? Could it be referred ear or tooth pain? Is she getting any molars on that side (there are two year molars, right?)?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Nothing that feels noticeably different. Its not something she is doing for attention. Usually she is on her way to do something, or engaged in play, when it suddenly happens and stops her in her tracks. I don't see or feel any molars coming in, but those can take a while, right? That's a possibility.
    Its probably nothing. Its just weird.
    Thanks for the replies.

Blog Entries

Yes, the molars can take forever! Would she be able to accurately answer if she has an ouchie in her mouth or if her ears hurt when she isn't complaining about her neck hurting? I really do think that it is likely to be her molars.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Yes, she is very articulate, especially about what hurts. She hasn't mentioned her mouth or ears.

Hmmm yeah I would think that would be weird personally. But molar pains would make sense maybe....can she point out exactly where the pain is? It is not accompanied by a fever right? She could have a swollen gland too. I have a gland that reacts to anything on the right side of my neck.

It seems like it maybe ear pain causing it. Before my dd1 had her tubes put in her ears she would just scream out of nowhere and she would show me it hurting on the side of her neck right below the ear took her to doc a few times it happened and she had ear infection which eventually lead to her needing tubes because she constanly retained fluid. About 3 weeks from the tube placing no more crying spells.

Thanks ladies. I will mention it to her pedi next time we go.