Thread: What??? So confused, lol, but not unhappy w/ 1hr glucose results...

Hybrid View

Default What??? So confused, lol, but not unhappy w/ 1hr glucose results...

So, after getting a reading of 148 on my glucometer 10mins prior to my blood draw, my 1hr results from the lab are...waaaait for it................

86 !!!!!!!!!

I'm so confused

Could my monitor really be that far off (it's less than a year old)? I had a fbs of 98 and after my 1hr glucose test my readings were in the 130s after meals the rest of the day until late evening when it dropped into the 70s.

I'm thankful I passed , lol, but I honestly don't understand how .

Anyone have thoughts on this???
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Kelly,
    I would check your meter just to be sure. I found this. I'm not sure if it applies to your meter or not. I'm not very familiar with them..
    Things that Can Affect your Blood Glucose Reading

• A dirty meter.
    • Outdated test strips.
    • If test strips are not compatible with the meter you're using, results may be inaccurate or no result will be obtained. If the wrong strip is used, it may not even fit into the slot or it may fit, but the meter wonít turn on, Suhl says.
    • Substances left on your hands. For example, if there is a sugary substance on the finger used for lancing, even if itís a small amount that canít be seen, a high blood glucose reading can result.
    • Temperature changes (heat/humidity/cold air).
    • Not a big enough blood sample on the test strip.
    • Wet fingers. Fluid mixes with blood and can cause an inaccurate reading.

How to Avoid an Inaccurate Blood Glucose Reading

• Before using the meter for the first time and then again every few weeks, check your meter using the control solution, Suhl says. Control solution is only good for three months once opened. Label the control solution bottle with the date you open it. Check the date and shake control solution before using. The value the control solution gives should be in the target range printed on the strips container.
    • Make sure strips are not expired. Check the date on the strip container.
    • Make sure code on strip container matches the code on the meter.
    • Wash hands in warm water and dry them off after.
    • Massage hands before checking.
    • Select site on one side of the center of a fingertip. Rotate sites for each check.
    • Apply gentle pressure to lanced finger to help the drop of blood form on the surface.
    • Completely fill the strip target area with blood.

Dr. Cariski says the best we can probably expect a meter to ever produce is plus/minus 8% accuracy, and we may never reach that due to all the variables listed above. Also, if we want portable meters that require no calibration or coding, use very small blood samples, with less than 10 second read-outs, the next standard the FDA is currently considering (within plus/minus 15% of a hospital lab test) will bring us close to the theoretical limits of whatís possible regarding accuracy. Unfortunately, the technology needed to get meters closer to a lovely plus/minus 5% just doesnít exist ó for now.

Maybe you can take your meter to your doc and call the manufacturer just to make sure it's calibrated correctly.
    Last edited by pants; 08-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Brenda

Thank you Brenda for the info !!

I've never used a control solution to check my meter, but I follow the other guidelines listed. I'll try the control solution first and if everything looks good there I'll ask my OB about it.

I think I'll likely just keep following the GD diet I linked to in my thread, test occasionally, and not stress about it from now on though .

LOL, besides it's "ice cream night" at our house...I think passing my 1hr glucose test calls for some celebration in the form of a GF mug cake a la mode

I've never had a control solution to use to check my monitor ... Do you just make your own??
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I've never had a control solution to use to check my monitor ... Do you just make your own??
    The very first monitor I owned, 17yrs ago, came as a kit my insurance provided and it had a "control solution" in it. The last two monitors I've owned though have stated that testing with a control solution isn't necessary unless you're getting unexpected readings, so I'm honestly not sure if there's a way to do it at-home or even where to get it if it's something that needs to be purchased...I was just going to check the pharmacy to see if maybe they sell it .

Oh...and a quick question, Dorcas, do you use lancets or the pen to poke? If you use the pen, do you change your needle every time? I wipe mine with an alcohol wipe and re-use them a few times...is that bad do you think?? It's a money saver, but if it's going to throw off my readings I'll just buy more needles since I don't test all that often anyway. I hadn't thought of that until now .

I use the lancets in a poker pen ... that's how I'd describe it. I do just use them once, for the most part, unless I have a situation where I retest right away, then I'd use it twice.

I would think that wiping it clean with an alcohol wipe would suffice, though. That's what I do when I'm not in a position to go wash my hands before a reading, I use alcohol wipes.

I think the only drawback to reusing the needle is that it gets dull after awhile. I've developed little callouses on my two main use fingers so I'm having to use the other hand these days.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Oh sheesh, I wondered about callouses and frequent testing !

Glad your glucose test was so good!!!! Definitely check your meter. I just emailed this to FIL as his meter shows very high numbers and according to those he should be in a diabetic coma!

How was your test done? By meter or by blood draw? Those are not going to give the same results.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

That's good news!!! Doesn't hurt to diet anyway. Healthier body right?
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)