Thread: Surprise at docs today

Default Surprise at docs today

I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead!

Crazy. I'm a bit in shock. What does it mean??

You mean your Fundal Height was measuring 2 weeks ahead? 2 weeks isn't enough to mean much. If you were measuring way ahead your Doc would check for over abundance of amniotic fluid or rapid fetal growth. In which case you would get sent for another Growth Scan. Could even be just a full bladder! Or a big baby this time around! yay
    Last edited by RedDonahue; 08-08-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Yeah, fundal height I guess. I had just had a growth scan earlier this week and everything looked ok. It's just so strange to me because I had such a small baby last time, I was always a week behind in measurement. I'm nervous to have a bigger one! Ouch! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RedDonahue View Post
    You mean your Fundal Height was measuring 2 weeks ahead? 2 weeks isn't enough to mean much. If you were measuring way ahead your Doc would check for over abundance of amniotic fluid or rapid fetal growth. In which case you would get sent for another Growth Scan. Could even be just a full bladder! Or a big baby this time around! yay

LOL yeah I hear that! How much did your DD weigh when she was born?

My DD was only 7lbs 1 oz and she BARELY fit through my pevlis...I guess I just wasn't meant to have big babies! OUCH

It could even just be who measured you (Dorcas had that happen recently) . Your LO could also have had a rapid growth spurt and will be measuring spot on again at your next appt. Either way, it sounds like s/he is growing beautifully !!!

In my experience bigger babies don't hurt any more than smaller ones...it has more to do with head/shoulder size and position than length/weight. All of my babies' heads have been 12-13in despite their weights being from 9lbs1oz to 5lbs8oz. Obviously though there are limits to that, lol, a 10-11lb baby is going to have a bigger head/shoulders, but a baby less than 9lbs isn't necessarily going to have a big head (and a 6-7 pounder isn't necessarily going to have a small head...my bff had a 7lb2oz baby with a 14in head).

Anyway, lol, just trying to be encouraging . I'd imagine you're not going to have a 9+ pounder and a 2nd baby generally has an easier passage since the first one kind of paves the way .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Speaking of my experiences! DS1 was 11lbs 6.6oz and I never measured ahead of my week ... I kinda feel like all of the measurements toward the end are so arbitrary I try not to get worked up about any of them. Though I will say being given a fundal height of 25 at 27 weeks did freak me out a bit, but my doc remeasured and said I was at a 28 ... but I kinda wonder if maybe your fundal height can be inflated the more pregnancies you have. What do you think, Kelly?
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    It could even just be who measured you (Dorcas had that happen recently) . Your LO could also have had a rapid growth spurt and will be measuring spot on again at your next appt. Either way, it sounds like s/he is growing beautifully !!!
    Yeah person measuring maybe a little liberal in their measurements. Fundal height measurement isn't really exact science. in the second trimester my kids always have growth spurts. One week the baby could be ahead and another right on time. Just depends on the week. Sounds like baby is growing as it should. I would trust US growth scans a little more then Fundal height measurements. If US growth scans are good then you should be fine.

Brenda

Thanks, ladies. You're helping me feel better!

The u/s growth scan estimated a 7 lb baby based on how she was measuring. They put her in the 56% for growth. My DD was small, 6lb 2oz.

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post
    Thanks, ladies. You're helping me feel better!

The u/s growth scan estimated a 7 lb baby based on how she was measuring. They put her in the 56% for growth. My DD was small, 6lb 2oz.
    Both my boys were estimated to be 8 lbs or more. They were born 1 week late at 7lbs 8 oz and 1 week early at 7lbs 6oz respectfully. Don't fret

Brenda

I'm measuring about 4 weeks ahead right now and it's because I have way too much fluid. Baby is around 4lbs right now. If your doctor is concerned about the baby being too big or there being too much fluid, they'll do an ultrasound, measure baby, and measure the pockets of fluid just to be sure.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToe88 View Post
    I'm measuring about 4 weeks ahead right now and it's because I have way too much fluid. Baby is around 4lbs right now. If your doctor is concerned about the baby being too big or there being too much fluid, they'll do an ultrasound, measure baby, and measure the pockets of fluid just to be sure.
    What does excess fluid mean as far as labor and delivery is concerned? They are monitoring me right now and I have another ultrasound at 33 weeks. They measured fluid at 28 weeks but did not say it was a concern at this time.