Thread: Prayers for Erin, please

Default Prayers for Erin, please

Erin came home from work and DH is taking her to the ER. She's been having anxiety attacks a lot this week and her psychiatrist gave her some new medication for them today. I don't know if it's connected or not, and I don't know the whole story, but she was having some symptoms that worried her and she called the doctor. She didn't tell me the whole story, but I know she was having a headache and some other symptoms and then the right side of her body was going numb. She called our family doctor and he told her to go to the ER/urgent care and at least get a scan done, which sounds to me like he suspects her shunt. She has a shunt for hydrocephalus that she's had since infancy.

So anyway, I'm asking for prayers that it's nothing serious and is just a symptom of her anxiety attacks or a reaction to the new medication and nothing more serious.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Prayers for her
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Thinking of her. I hope all is well and they can figure it out asap.
    *** Lindsay ***

Thinking of her.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Blog Entries

Prayers said.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Gonna be a long night for Erin and DH. He just texted me. He said, and I quote "Blood drawn. Chest and scanned EKG done. Head. Waiting. Results in 2 or 3 hrs." He's not the best at texting, so I'm not exactly sure what he means by "chest and scanned" and then "Head" by itself. He frustrates me when he tries to text because half the time he leaves out crucial words and his texts don't make a lot of sense. But the "results in 2 or 3 hrs" is pretty clear.

Hope it turns out to be something easily fixed.

I hope that she's okay. Hang in there...

DH just texted me again. They're transporting her by ambulance to another hospital -- Fairfax Hospital -- for shunt testing.

Oh my. It must be hard to be waiting for news. Keeping Erin in my thoughts. You doing ok?

Hugs.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Yeah, I'm doing okay, Bridget, thanks for asking. I mean, I'm scared for sure. Shunt failure is something we've feared her whole life. It happened once when she was 8 or 9 months old and when I took her by ambulance to the hospital, the doctor said he wasn't sure she'd make it through the night she was that sick. She was in shunt failure and also had pneumonia. They had to get her stabilized at Fairfax Hospital before they could transport her to Children's in DC. At that time, Fairfax didn't have the neurologists who could handle it like they do now. She's not had to have anything done with the shunt since then and the doctors were thinking that perhaps the hydrocephalus had resolved itself and she no longer really even needed the shunt, but they wouldn't remove it because that would cause bleeding in the brain which is what caused her hydrocephalus in the first place as a preemie. I had DH take her tonight because I have a job assignment due tomorrow at 2:00 and I really thought she was either having an anxiety attack or a reaction to the medication. So, I sit here trying to concentrate and get this job done while worrying about her at the same time. I am thankful, however, that Katie and Nathan didn't give me any trouble at all tonight about going to bed like they usually do.

Oh gosh. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for Erin and for your family!
    Jennifer

Got another text from DH about an hour ago (I had dozed off). The neurologist said the shunt is fine, so it's not that. They're waiting for the ER doctor now (or they were an hour ago).

Edit at 4:25 a.m. to add: Well, they are home. The doctors found absolutely nothing. They had six different doctors looking at her and running tests and everything came back normal. The CT scan showed no brain/shunt changes since the last one she had in 2010. DH said they all did the same exam "tests" on her -- squeeze my fingers, etc. -- except for one. One took two fingers and touched both sides of her face at the same time. She said one side felt different than the other, but she couldn't describe exactly what about it was different. They checked her shunt and did tests for a stroke and found nothing. They said all of her symptoms pointed to shunt failure, but again, they could find nothing wrong.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 08-08-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries

I hate when they can't figure things out. Will Erin be following up with her doctor?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I don't know. I would imagine so.

Glad she's home. That sounds scary! She should probably follow-up with a neurologist or something.

glad she is home, hope that a follow up with her dr will give some answers. (but maybe you were right and it was anxiety and reaction to the meds...)

They did give her the name of a neurologist to go and see, as well as telling her to follow-up with our regular doctor.

How frustrating! I hope they figure things out.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12