Thread: TED Radio Hour - Parenthood

Default TED Radio Hour - Parenthood

It's a series of four segments on parenting. http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radi...ate=2014-08-01

I only heard one of these segments, the second one on how parenting today is brand new in relation to the rest of human history. That it's just been 75 years or so that we've seen children as objects of love and affection, beings that we have to nurture, devote our lives to...versus economic engines that tend to the farm, earn money for the family, take care of us when we're old, etc. The speaker says that it's why we're still struggling with finding what's "right" in parenting... because unlike the past where our role was to impart practical skills to our kids, now we aim for this amorphous goal of "happiness." And we try to train our kids to be prepared for, well, something that we don't know is coming. (meaning that way back, we knew that a kid would be a shoemaker or a barber or a farmer and thus, they spent all of what we now regard as youth and childhood preparing for that. Now it's just that we want our kids to be "happy" and thus, the lady says that we're flailing a bit, since that's a harder goal to define or attain.)

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I heard that first segment and forgot about trying to find the link to the rest. I really appreciated that insightful take. It helps me a lot to put my parenting in a historical context. I don't know why, I must be a particularly nerdy type of parent.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I listened to this on my commute home today. I love the TED radio podcasts, and this one was pretty good. One of the segments was not as educational for me but it had an incredibly poignant moment that made me cry for a solid five minutes in traffic (always a little weird). Anyway, I recommend. And if you all have not learned the joys of listening to podcasts while doing housework, I wholeheartedly can say it makes light work of drudgery.

I listened to these segments this morning. While listening to the one about letting kids do dangerous things, I promptly sent my girls outside with wood, nails, hammers and wire. I don't think I'm ready to let them play with fire, pocket knives or spears yet, though.

Some great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My kids got tool sets with saws and hammers and visegrips and a huge pile of lumber and nails for their 7th birthday. I told them they could build a clubhouse in the back yard. I'm waiting to see what happens.

(My guess is that my DH will complain that they're making too much noise.)

What a cool gift!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    My kids got tool sets with saws and hammers and visegrips and a huge pile of lumber and nails for their 7th birthday. I told them they could build a clubhouse in the back yard. I'm waiting to see what happens.

(My guess is that my DH will complain that they're making too much noise.)
    That is AWESOME!

I am looking fw to listening! Thanks for the synopsis. It really makes a lot of sense.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)