Thread: Measuring Really Small

Default Measuring Really Small

Anyone else ever measured really small?
    I'm measuring 32 weeks and I'm 37 weeks 2 days.
    My midwife still thinks baby is about 6 1/2 lbs but that's measuring really really small.

I've only measured small once and it was because we were 5wks off on my dd (no u/s, planned homebirth) and I delivered a 35wk preemie (we reassessed my dates after she was born and obviously premature). You've had u/s though so I know that's not the case for you...just sharing my experience .

Usually when I drop I'll measure 2wks small, but never more than that.

Has your LO been measuring small by u/s? Has your fundal height been measuring small your entire pg, if so, by how much? When was your last u/s?

I personally would want an u/s if I were measuring 5wks off...it could be an amniotic fluid issue, baby could be very small (u/s can be off, but external palpation is not even close to accurate), or he could just be incredibly low.

How are your blood counts...are your iron levels still low?

I'll be honest momma, I've been concerned about you . I am by no means trying to sound unsupportive, but I personally would want an u/s assessment of baby's size and AF levels as well as a CBC .

What is your mw's perspective on your situation? How often does she come to assess you and Micah?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

At my last OB appointment the nurse measured me and said I was at 25 and then my OB measured me and said 28. I was at week 27. Has it been the same person measuring you the whole time.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    At my last OB appointment the nurse measured me and said I was at 25 and then my OB measured me and said 28. I was at week 27. Has it been the same person measuring you the whole time.
    And yet, no matter who is doing the measuring, wouldn't there be some concern and an attempt to re-measure as well as having her partner measure just to make sure, if a momma is measuring 5wks small at term ??

My midwife is always the one measuring me. My iron was checked a week and a half ago and was up to 10.
    I've been measuring about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks small the last few months but now to be 5 weeks small... seems like a lot. But my midwife really doesn't seem concerned at all.
    I haven't had a growth ultrasound since 18 weeks.
    We know baby is low... He is in position... I'm already effaced and dilating.
    If my midwife seemed even a little concerned then I would be pretty concerned considering how awful the last 8 days have been but she really isn't concerned.
    We are completely certain about my due date.

MWs are notorious for not seeming concerned ...how is your dh feeling about it? If I were feeling something wasn't quite right I would absolutely get an u/s or at minimum a NST. If I just wasn't sure I'd probably express my concerns to dh and defer to his judgement (my assessment of things is not always very sound at the end ).

It does seem very small to me too, but it really could be just how you're carrying at this point .

My DH thinks that I'm carrying very very low. But he definitely is concerned since I've contracted so much and hardly eat from nausea.
    If this little guy doesn't come soon then maybe I will have to try and get an ultrasound.

I'll be praying for sure, momma !! Please kup!

Huge hugs. Getting an ultrasound would just give you a peace of mind. Hoping and praying he comes soon and you get your desired birth! !!

Hopping in here to offer You have been through so much lately, I'm sure you're so exhausted. ): I would voice how you and your husband feel about measuring small to your midwife. Usually once baby drops (or as baby begins to drop, sometimes it's slower for some people), measuring your belly can be a bit off because baby's head is pretty much all in your pelvis. Even if your midwife is not concerned I would let her know how you feel so that way you are all on the same page. At this point I don't think an ultrasound would hurt just to ease some of your stress and worries, but of course that's entirely up to you. Wishing you best of luck!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Stepping in to say my situation was similar with my daughter. I had GD and they said babies could be really big or really little. They told me I would be lucky if she reached 5.5 pounds at 38 weeks at the time of my induction. She was 5 pounds 12 oz and still a peanut at 2.5 years old. She'll be 3 in November and weighs 23 pounds. Her pediatrician told us she is just petite. Your soon to be baby might be petite. My husband and are 5'1'' and 5'3'' so.. it was like what do they expect? All of James' family comes in under 5'5''. So.. if you have a history of small genes lack of better term- your baby probably isn't going to be that big. Another thing is Natalie that just had her baby was told her daughter was going to be around 6-6.5 pounds via U/S and she was 8 12. Doctors aren't always right. If 6 pounds is the case for your little one the big thing they should be looking for IMO is lung development so. My daughter's lungs were perfect.
    *** Lindsay ***

My oldest was 6 lbs 13 ozs. My first set of twins totaled 7 lbs 3 ozs. Second set totaled 6 lbs 15 ozs. So I can carry about 7 lbs.
    The only reason I am even slightly concerned is that both sets of twins were IUGR. I measured about 2 weeks small even with twins so I do just carry small.
    We know his head is in engaged.
    5 weeks is my biggest gap so has me thrown off.

How are you holding up today Ashlee?

Thinking of you and praying it won't be too much longer for you and Micah !!! All things considered, I know it's super tough, but on a positive note I am just so excited you've made it this far...can you believe it !!!!!!!!!!!

When is your next mw appt? Hoping and praying for some growth and progress !!

Please kup!

Checking to see how you are doing