Thread: Concerning behaviour from 2yr?

Default Concerning behaviour from 2yr?

My Dd is two and can say a handful of words and most "babbling" i understand. Last 3 days have been a nightmare shes having so many screaming tanturms. She gets mad if i pick her,put her down,tell her to be nice (hitting me) these tanturms last an hour at a time all day and night. Shes waking up 3x's a night with these fits. Im losing my mind here.

Im extremely worried about these tantrums since she goes stiff and bangs her head off the walls or hardwood floor. Unfortunately im not very fast these days to cushion her every head bang. I do want to say she was a major daddies girl and has not seen or heard from her father in 16 long weeks and he has no interest in being back in his kids life.

Is this normal 2 year old behaviour ? Is she emotionally hurting? How can i help? I plan on calling her pedi monday to discuss this issue but at least need something to help us through the weekend
    Last edited by MommaBree; 07-31-2014 at 08:45 PM.

We have a couple wonderful speech pathologists in here. I hope they will see this thread and chime in. It does seem like your DD is trailing behind as far as speech goes. It wouldn't hurt to have her evaluated.

As for the other behavior, has it started recently since her dad left? I am so sorry. My heart hurts for both of you. An hour is a really long time for a tantrum, especially if its happening multiple times a day. I can't say if its emotional or something more, but I would say your concerns are valid and it would be best to talk with her pedi and a SP. If its just something she will grow out of, it still can't hurt, you know?

Do call her pediatrician is her not having many words normal or has she regressed? If she hasn't every done much than babbling I would call about that and the head banging for sure. Her father dipping out could definitely be the cause of some of it. I hope you can get some answers.
    *** Lindsay ***

I'm one of the speech-language pathologists that hangs out here.

If she has a handful of words and babbling at two years, it definitely sounds like her language is delayed. She may just be experiencing emotional issues due to changes in her life, but hour long tantrums multiple times a day combined with a language delay is something I find very concerning and would definitely bring up with a doctor, sooner rather than later. I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and let us know if you have any questions about it.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mine is a screamer and tantrumer so I can sympathize. It's exhausting. Do they last an hour over 1 thing or does she start and stop and tantrum over different things within that hour?

I really have no advice because I don't know what to do about mine either. But mine speaks well beyond her age so your DD may be acting out because she doesn't have words to explain her feelings, or she is just being 2 and emotional. I am sure missing her daddy is not helping matters. I think it's great that you are planning to call the pedi. I would mention the speech issue for sure.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

She use to say quite abit of small words and tried to sign some but has gotten rather "lazy" with signing she does try to say sentences such as "me baby bed" "juice sippy me" "baby un corn" (baby unicorn she points to my belly) "dede buh bye" "bad anner" (manners) so i can see she tries. Ive also wondered about her being tongue tied. I will be sure to bring up her speech again.

As for tanturms its over one thing for the whole hour she does usually end up in her crib after 20mins of a tantrum. Im hoping shes just a late talker and the tanturms are related to not being able to say whats wrong.

Could sleep be the issue? She has her bath at 6:30, snack at 645 story and cuddles until 715 usually asleep by 745 but is up alot and she does stir in her alot shes fully awake for the day at 530 with 2 10min naps.

Thanks so much for the advice and support i appreciate it.

That sounds like she has more than a handful of words. Would you say she has more than 50? Definitely talk with your doctor, though.

Not sure about the sleep. Has she always had sleep issues, or did this just recently begin after her dad left? A student of mine is in foster care and she regressed a lot in her speech and behavior both after she stopped having visits with her birth mother. Speech became more difficult to understand, potty training regressed, major tantrums. Now it's about 6 months later and she's doing really great. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is an emotional difficulty that she will get past with time, love, and lots of support. Your doctor may be able to provide you with some good advice or even connect you with some resources in your community that can help.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That sounds like she has more than a handful of words. Would you say she has more than 50? Definitely talk with your doctor, though.

Not sure about the sleep. Has she always had sleep issues, or did this just recently begin after her dad left? A student of mine is in foster care and she regressed a lot in her speech and behavior both after she stopped having visits with her birth mother. Speech became more difficult to understand, potty training regressed, major tantrums. Now it's about 6 months later and she's doing really great. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is an emotional difficulty that she will get past with time, love, and lots of support. Your doctor may be able to provide you with some good advice or even connect you with some resources in your community that can help.
    50 is pushing the limit on her words, now that im thinking back, she has regressed alot since jerk off left us..hmm thanks so much! This does push me to have more patiences with her.

Have more patience, but still definitely discuss all of this with her pedi. A lot of it could very well just be emotional fall-out from her father leaving, but better safe than sorry in regards to discussing it with the pedi. My nephew (now 50 years old) had a really hard time of it when his parents separated when he was about 18 months old. He did the head banging as well and even gave himself a concussion doing so a couple of times. Lots of love, snuggles, and patience are definitely required, but definitely talk to the pedi as well.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Could be a little of everything. Her missing her dad, possible speech delay, just generally being a two year old.
    An hour long tantrum is really long. That is a lot of stress for her little body and mind. Perhaps instead of putting her in her crib, you could try soothing her somehow? A tantrum is usually a desperate cry for help when I child feels overwhelmed by their emotions and they don't know what to do.

First off, . I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with her dad being leaving. I'm sure that is confusing for your little girl.

One thing I've been doing when my two year old gets on a tantrum is to have a few littlw activities or projects handy and ready to grab to try and change the subject and get him past the silly thing that the tantrum was about. It has really helped for us! I keep a bag of balloons, water beads, stickers, temporary tattoos, etc on hand to get him interested in something different before it turns into a full blown meltdown. If it's past the point of a quick change, I don't give him these things because I don't want him to think it's a reward for throwing a fit, though.
    ~Andrea~

Hugs hugs hugs. One of the reasons for tantrums could be... hunger. They don't realize it but offering a snack - just put it out even if she rejects it -or some milk could do the trick.as for speech and being tongue-tied - definitely look into it
    Dd2 was tongue tied and while it didn't bother her now she doesn't speak clearly at 2 years + and I think that might be a problem.

i think that daddy leaving is the problem. i would talk to your pedi to see if they know of a good therapist that could talk to your dd and help her process these emotions...
    once she gets used to the fact that daddy is gone then she will probably catch back up to where she should be.

2 is hard enough, having daddy leave and a tired pregnant mama, who no doubt is struggling herself, makes it even harder. I would try to give her lots and lots of grace and love right now. Make sure she knows YOU aren't leaving. A pedictible routine might help. I bet once her life settles down, which honestly might not be until after your babies are born, she'll catch up.