Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: mastitis & antibiotics while nursing

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    Thank you Varya

    Owen just had some blood tinged mucous in his diaper after a big day of non stop spitting up. I've already cut out dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, chocolate and a bunch of other things and I'm just at a loss. I feel like between mastitis and his food sensitivities I'm hurting him with my breastmilk which is devastating to me. I love breastfeeding him more than anything and I'm not sure if it's in the cards for us anymore
    I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. We have milk protein allergy over here and I totally feel you on thinking that you're hurting him with the milk. I cried about it.

    I have a question for you since I'm taking Keflex for a different problem. Did you notice a color change (like yellow to green) in the stool or extra mucus? I'm trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is related to the allergy or the abx or maybe both...

    Just keep going Mel, I know this is a super rough period, but that's all, a period. It will pass and things will get better. You're doing great!!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

  2. #32

    Default

    Mastitis sucks! I had it 2x with DD. And so many other times where I could feel a blocked duct, but it never progressed to mastitis. I read online somewhere to take a lecithin supplement. I started taking it and within 12 hours I could tell the block was starting to go away. I took 1 capsule 4 x's a day and after about 2 weeks I had myself weaned down to 1 capsule a day and that seemed to do the trick for me.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. We have milk protein allergy over here and I totally feel you on thinking that you're hurting him with the milk. I cried about it.

    I have a question for you since I'm taking Keflex for a different problem. Did you notice a color change (like yellow to green) in the stool or extra mucus? I'm trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is related to the allergy or the abx or maybe both...

    Just keep going Mel, I know this is a super rough period, but that's all, a period. It will pass and things will get better. You're doing great!!
    Milk protein allergies are tough! I was just telling DH when I can eat dairy again I plan on having cheese enchiladas with a giant ice cream for dessert... although that might not end well because it'll be a shock to my system. Owen's stool was watery and mucousy and turned dark brown/green when I was on keflex. It went back to the normal mustard color and consistency when I was switched to dicloxacillin.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllieA View Post
    Mastitis sucks! I had it 2x with DD. And so many other times where I could feel a blocked duct, but it never progressed to mastitis. I read online somewhere to take a lecithin supplement. I started taking it and within 12 hours I could tell the block was starting to go away. I took 1 capsule 4 x's a day and after about 2 weeks I had myself weaned down to 1 capsule a day and that seemed to do the trick for me.
    You poor thing! I am terrified of getting mastitis again and I was reading about lecithin and was thinking about trying it. I'm glad to hear it worked for you, now I definitely want to start taking it. Do you remember how long it took you to recover each time? My fever and body pain went away about 24 hours after starting the antibiotics but a week later I still feel kind of sick with a headache, ear, and neck pain. Just hoping it completely goes away by the time I finish the abx in 3 days.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    You poor thing! I am terrified of getting mastitis again and I was reading about lecithin and was thinking about trying it. I'm glad to hear it worked for you, now I definitely want to start taking it. Do you remember how long it took you to recover each time? My fever and body pain went away about 24 hours after starting the antibiotics but a week later I still feel kind of sick with a headache, ear, and neck pain. Just hoping it completely goes away by the time I finish the abx in 3 days.
    I really don't remember how long it took me to feel most of the way better. After I started antibiotics each time I was feeling a good bit of relief within 24 hours. The first time it hit me all at once, I was completely fine and within an hour I was totally sick! I called the midwife right away and started meds within about 6 hours of feeling sick. My midwife prescribed motrin 600 mg when I had DD and I know I took a good bit of it then to help ease the inflammation.

    I could feel I had a duct that was blocked when I started the lecithin, so I started on the high dose. If you feel like everything is good you may be able to start with a lower dose. When I took the 4 caps/day it did give me a little bit of loose bowel movements, but it only lasted 36 hours at the most.

    Good luck! I hope you don't have to deal with this again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •