Thread: 1hr glucose test and illness...question

Default 1hr glucose test and illness...question

Does anyone know if illness affects the 1hr glucose test at all? I was going to do it on Thursday when I'll be at the hospital for my pulmo appt .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Oh good question....i would call and ask i would assume as long as your eatting and drinking okay and not taking meds with steriods you should be okay. Not sure how accurate this is but i was told steriods can cause high sugar readings

Really good question. Unfortunately I have no answer.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

You mean beside drinking down that horrid stuff and trying not to throw it up,
    No I don't think that an Illness like a cold would effect it.....stomach virus I would think it will.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Yes, illness does affect your glucose levels. If you're sick and fighting something I would wait because it might make your sugar higher than normal. Although it probably doesn't go up a lot if you don't have sugar issues it might make the difference in passing or failing.

Hope you feel better!!
    Last edited by buki919; 07-29-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Hollie(32) & DH- Ken(33)DD1- Autumn DD2- Raegan

Hmmm, maybe I'll just wait then, I can do it a different day...I'd rather not risk it . It is just a cold, but I haven't been eating/drinking like I usually do...sore throat and it makes the coughing worse. I've been eating a lot of fresh/frozen fruit and fruit smoothies/juice (Bolthouse Farms c-boost, carrot juice, and low-sodium V8) since it's all that sounds good and it's hydrating.

I did buy test strips for my monitor and my fbs this morning was 88 which is great (I had cottage cheese w/ fresh blueberries before bed) so I'm not terribly worried, lol, I just really don't want to fail the 1hr mostly because I don't want to have to do the 3hr

You could be a non compliant patient and just refuse the test altogether. ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I would personally just reschedule the entire appointment. I usually try not to go when I'm sick so I don't spread germies. I wouldn't want to take that thing when sick that's for sure. lol
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I actually can go whenever between now and my next OB appt...they said I could even do it the same day as my appt (which isn't until Aug 25th), so no rush .

I honestly don't mind doing the test (not that I love it, lol ) and it is nice to have confirmation that my bs is behaving. I was never tested for GD with my first 5 kiddos, with my 6th I passed the 1hr test, and with my 8th and 9th I just monitored my levels for a week at home and submitted my numbers to the cnms. I've done 3hr GTTs non-pg because I'm hypoglycemic and apparently it can increase the risk of diabetes . Anyway, I do feel I may have had GD with my first two...polyhydramnios and large-ish (9lbs1oz and 8lbs15oz), hypoglycemic babies at birth. Obviously, I have no real way of knowing, but I want to be cautious.

My appt tomorrow is with the pulmonologist...good timing since my peak flow numbers aren't making it into the "green zone" even with albuterol 3x/d (although there is slight improvement with the albuterol). I'm pretty sure he'll prescribe an oral steroid.

Wow, I forget how fast antibiotics work and am always amazed at how much better I feel within 12-24hrs !!!

Anyway, now that I know what meds I'll be on for the bronchitis and for how long, I'm going to call my OB to ask if I should hold off on the 1hr glucose test or if I can go ahead and do it anytime.

I was reading up on steroids and their effect on blood sugar last night. I guess oral steroids can really increase glucose levels, but the studies were done on diabetics receiving care (dietary and/or insulin) so it's not really known if they impact the blood sugar levels of those with normal glucose metabolism. I'm not taking oral steroids, but inhaled steroids can also increase bs levels, however it's to a lesser extent and again, studies have only been done in those with pre-existing diabetes.

Interestingly, one study reviewed studies on asthmatics being treated with long-term inhaled steroids and it showed an increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes within that population. I couldn't find any info on inhaled steroids and bs levels during pg though.

So it is known that steroids (oral especially and inhaled to a lesser extent) affect bs levels, but it doesn't sound like it would affect glucose testing unless a patient already has impaired glucose function anyway .

I'll be on the increased dose of inhaled steroids for 2wks.

For comparison, my fbs the last three mornings have been: 88, 85, and 91. I've had the same snack before bed every night at around the same time (cottage cheese with fresh fruit), but I did check my bs about an hour later this morning (slept in...but took it as soon as I got up).

Sorry for rambling...I probably sound worried, lol, but I'm not. I just enjoy analyzing .

Eta...Jessie, I am so glad you mentioned that about an office visit and germies! It reminded me to wear a mask and sanitize often as a courtesy to those around me !!
    Last edited by kellyowens; 08-01-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I got my answer from my OB...I'm supposed to wait to do the 1hr glucose test until I'm done with the meds, so 2wks .

Eta...got a call from the pulmo just now, and I'm supposed to stay on the new inhaler (Qvar) for 3-4wks, not 2wks like I thought so I'll be doing my glucose screening while on the increased meds. Oh well, nothing I can do about it so I get what I get and really, I'm not worried about it. I'll likely keep track of my bs loosely at home just to have an idea of where things are at. Seriously, lol, I got a 90 1hr after breakfast which is lower than this morning's fbs so I don't think it's going to be a problem .

Oh, and I did print off the myplate.gov dietary guidelines for GD and will likely adapt my diet to some of their suggestions since it's not that far off from what I've been doing...not going to stress about it though (lol, I *will* be eating ice cream tonight ).
    Last edited by kellyowens; 08-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.

I had my 1hr glucose test today...it wasn't horrible . The last time I had it done I was fasting prior to the glucola, so having had a snack prior to the test this time kept the ickies to a minimum I think. I did feel nauseous on the way there and my heart was pounding in the waiting room, but it was tolerable. I'm just really tired now (sugar crash I'd imagine).

Because I don't like waiting for test results, I took my glucose monitor and checked my levels at the 50min mark...they were 148. I tried to test them immediately after my blood-draw, but my very last strip was defective of all things! Oh well, just going to have to wait it out .

I'm assuming the 148 I got 10mins before my blood draw doesn't necessarily mean anything?? Thoughts?

I'm not worried about it...I've decided that even if I fail this screening I'm just going to request at home testing/logging instead of the 3hr GTT. Honestly, I don't have time for a 3hr morning test that is not absolutely necessary, nor do I want to put my body/baby through it. If they want me to do a consult with a dietitian, I'm fine with that.

Hopefully though, my numbers from today come back good and I don't even have to think about it !!

Ugh, I hate that they didn't just give you a ready right away in the office. Whenever I've done the 1 hour test they just use a regular test strip/glucometer to get the level, so I'm not sure that your results are going to be that far off from the 148 you got 10 minutes prior to the test's conclusion.

If you did fail, I'm completely in your corner about skipping the 3 hour and just monitoring your levels from here on out.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Oh bummer ...so that number may not be far off.

I'm going to call my OB tomorrow since there have been times they've had my results from this lab by the next day .

Did you get the results Kelly??? I agree that I would probably skip the 3 hour and go right into diet and monitoring. Which you are doing anyway. Even if you pass the 3 hour you'll probably still want to do what your doing about checking yourself and altering diet anyway. I think your doing great.

Brenda