Thread: Struggling this summer

Default Struggling this summer

I am feeling SO down. I feel like I am really failing my kids right now. I am having so much trouble this summer. I know I am in a tough position with older kids and a baby still napping. We are stuck home a lot and when we are I am totally lost as to what to do. They start fighting and I get in a bad mood and don't want to be around them.

I have good intentions of trying to do things with them but a lot of times they are not motivated to do anything. Sometimes they start playing on their own so I just go with that and stay out of their way. I just feel like I am really not fun and I don't do anything quality with them. I have tremendous guilt about it but yet it doesn't motivate me to change. I hate the heat so while I tell them to play outside I don't want to go out with them. I also think none of us gets enough exercise and I am not sure how to fix that.

I will admit that I am most likely suffering from some depression so that isn't making things any easier. I think the depression is temporary. I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle....I feel like I am failing them which makes me depressed which makes me not able to motivate to change, etc. I also think I have had a hard time adjusting to the change in routine. If I don't feel differently in Sept/Oct I will probably seek out professional help but until then I kind of feel awful and I am not sure what to do about it.

The sad part is that I am finding myself not really WANTING to do things with them (hard to admit) and it makes me so sad. Am I just burnt out? Why would I not want to spend time with them? If someone else asked the question, "what can I do with my kids all day" I would have tons of answers so it's not like I don't KNOW what to do with them. I just don't want to do it

Thanks for listening. I am not even sure what I am looking for here....advice, empathy,...?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

It really does sound like you are burned out. Like you need a break and some re-fuleing. And some continuing therapy. Rather than focusing on the kids, I would say you might need to turn in to yourself. And ask for help. Ask close family or friends to help you get some time away. Tell them you need a mental health break and that this is very important, and make plans and get away for a weekend, an evening, a day. Then enroll in a class one night a week, join a book club, exercise. You need regularly scheduled time to yourself and when you get that you will have more energy for them.

Hang in there, mama. Keep us posted.

we are in the same boat. i think i am just burnt out and need some mommy alone time! i get so frustrated with them and don't know what to do with them. they don't listen, they don't nap, they don't behave well enough to be out in public without being dragged off to the car kicking and screaming because they are disturbing the peace... i don't want to go anywhere, they need to go places...

I definitely have times where I feel the same way about playing with my kids. Part of it is that as I am playing with them, I have a list running through my head of the things I need to get done. And I will admit, I get bored of the princess games that DD always wants to play. I wish she was a little more diverse in the games that interest her. And she has been very sassy toward me lately, so my patience is a little lower than it should be. So I can totally see how you might be burnt out.

I wish I had some advice, but I can tell you that you are not alone and that I think it is good that you see there might be a problem and that you are keeping up on it with yourself. I hope that it is just a funk and that you find things settling down and turning around for you soon!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post

It really does sound like you are burned out. Like you need a break and some re-fuleing. And some continuing therapy. Rather than focusing on the kids, I would say you might need to turn in to yourself. And ask for help. Ask close family or friends to help you get some time away. Tell them you need a mental health break and that this is very important, and make plans and get away for a weekend, an evening, a day. Then enroll in a class one night a week, join a book club, exercise. You need regularly scheduled time to yourself and when you get that you will have more energy for them.

ITA with all of this. I think you need to focus on yourself before you can address activities with the kids. First and foremost, I would add some exercise in - I think it will really work wonders for your mindset. And maybe enlist some help so you can get out of the house on your own a few times a week. Please don't feel guilty, it really sounds like a bit of depression to me. You are a wonderful mom, this is just a rough patch. Things will get better soon - either way you'll have more time to focus on yourself come Sept. Big hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post

I agree with this, as well. For me, when I'm down, sun is a large part of the answer, although I *immensely* dislike heat. If I can get out and walk, that helps a lot. What I find is that it can be a more or less interactive (with the kids) activity, depending on your mood that day, and sometimes, you can just walk and let the kids ride their bikes, and some days, you can stop and appreciate the flora/fauna cool stuff along the way.

I could have written this post today. I feel guilty for the older kids because the 8 month old is SO demanding right now and he's teething so I'm not getting enough sleep at night to have energy the next day to do things. On top of that my 2 year old (as of tomorrow) has done a complete 180 and is a terror to go out in public with. At this point we're doing one fun thing mon-fri (pool, park, library). I cant wait for DH to get home from work at night and on the weekends to help me. Today is the perfect weather to go out (78) and I'm too tired because the baby was up every hour last night teething and that makes me feel like crap. I totally feel your guilt. My one piece of advice is to make sure to do something fun on the weekend with the kids when you have your husband to help. We have a little weekend trip planned in August for the kids and that helps my mind too because it gives me something to look forward to that the kids will enjoy. But I feel ya girlfriend! You're not alone!
    mom of 2 girls and 2 boys... 6,4,2, and 8 months

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice. The sad thing is - I do get breaks. In fact my MIL is here right now hanging out with the older kids while the baby is napping. My mom has been out of town since last week but when she is here she will take the older 2 during nap time to her pool. By 8pm I am DONE with everyone and I take my kindle and read and DH deals with the kids. DD1 is in camp MWF from 9-4. I could probably make social plans any night I want (as long as I put the baby down first) and DH would support it. The scary thing is that I think I have withdrawn too much. I have no interest in doing anything. I don't want to take classes or go out with friends or go shopping or work out

Today is a particularly bad day it seems. I did not sleep well last night so I think that is contributing. I was going to post this exact thing last week but things got better and I thought it was changing. Then I have a bad day and I am back where I started. I feel like I am crawling out of a hole and sometimes I think I will make it to the top and then I slip back and may end up down further than I was before. And that is what is so frustrating about this. Some days are good, some are bad and I never know which day it will be. I always have good intentions about the day but then things may not go as planned and I start to get down about it and feel like a loser. Once I get down I have a hard time pulling myself up. I don't like how I am towards the kids. I am not happy around them. I feel like I bark at them all day for things that are not that big of a deal. But then I realize that maybe I don't have it as easy as I think. It's hard dealing with kids all day, especially a moody 2 year old. This morning everyone was fighting and angry and the baby gave me SUCH a hassle at nap time. Yesterday I had a doc appt. I had to do personal history with 3 different people and each one asked if I had kids and their ages. When I told them "2, 5 and 7" their response was always one of "omg wow ok so you have a lot going on"! I appreciated that they recognized that it was a lot of work but also found myself thinking 'what is the big deal'? So sometimes I give myself a break and say, 'you are doing the best you can with a difficult job' and other times I am hard on myself thinking, 'you have been doing this for years and these are your kids...they are happy and healthy, be thankful and deal with it'. A nurse yesterday was going on and on and on about how it goes so fast and enjoy them while they are young, yada, yada....it made me feel SO much worse. Like they are slipping through my fingers and if I don't shape up and realize how great I have it now I will look back with tons of regrets and it will be too late.

I am not sure where I am going with all that but I guess my point is, I do get breaks but still may be burnt out just because I have been doing this for so long now. I think those of you who said I need to start with me are totally right and I think I lost myself but just don't know how to get back, or even WHO to get back to.

I definitely appreciate having a space to get this out to people who understand. I have been expressing a bit of it to DH but he just doesn't really get it. I don't think he sees the larger picture. He just tells me I am a great mom and doing the best I can and things are hard and will get better. I don't think he sees how hard it all is for me. Unless he does and just has no idea what to do about it. It must be confusing for him too - one day I am fine and the next I am moody and irritable. Really though there is nothing HE or anyone else can do. It has to come from me but I don't feel like I can do it right now. I know things will be better in Sept. Gosh I hope so!

Also wanted to point out this recent study about the amazing health benefits of running for even 5 minutes a day:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-f...ll-you-n166871

I seriously depend on daily exercise for my sanity. I think you would see some big improvements if you made it a non-negotiable part of your routine.

Could lack of routine have anything to do with it? My BFF in High School used to get very depressed during summer vacations because she thrived on the routine that the school year brought. Maybe if you had a well planned routine it would make things easier. For example: 7 am wake up and breakfast, 7:30 am family walk to the park or something (still cool enough outside), 8:30 art projects, etc.

I do feel empathy for you because though I'm in school now I'm primarily a SAHM school is work very much so right now among other things that need to get done. I am wondering if you are depressed if I understood correctly of you not really wanting to go visit with friends, maybe even the possibility of seasonal depression because summer is so hot and you don't like the heat so its hard to go outside, I have this problem in the winter time. I despise winter and winter holidays and I feel very sad and guilty because Thanksgiving and Christmas are both very important to my family and I couldn't care less but, I push forward for them. I try to focus on somethings I enjoy about Holidays which is decorating and baking. So maybe summer isn't your thing but, maybe there could be activities for your family during the more mild days? Gardening with the kids? Letting them water the plants and pull weeds when its not a very hot and humid day (I thought you mentioned a garden before). I do think you are burnt out I am wondering if you'd like go back to work? Weren't you doing graphic design before your youngest was born? I wonder if a routine of working and maybe with the help of your mom, DH, MIL, you might not need a babysitter for that or maybe a sitter on a small scale? I know this ages are really hard. I am in a similar boat, my son just turned 6 is ready for 1st grade and can't wait to go and Sophia is still at home with me and DH during the day while I'm at school and she doesn't understand why she can't be in school with Cody now. She is 2.5 she still needs naps, but, she wants to be more independent like Cody which I do encourage to a point. The age gap of 3.5 years is hard though they are great friends.
    *** Lindsay ***

This is exactly how I felt before I decided to start working part time. I was so burned from daily activities and planned play dates; I was getting depressed. Once I started working, I was able to afford preschool for both 9-3 MWF and had the money to plan fun stuff for T&TR as well as the weekend. I know this is not a solution for you since DD3 is so young and DD2 starts kinder in the fall. But I know the feeling. Very well.

When my kids are off school I HAVE TO GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE in the morning, by 9:30 (10 the latest). Otherwise chaos ensues and continues all day; everyone gets tired, cranky and crazy by the afternoon. I often plan an afternoon outing too (in case the morning one was small). I can do crafts, stories and whatnot all day long but they will be crazy if they don't get out. I have to plan the day and give them breaks and food in between activities. I have always been so jealous of these moms who have kids willing and able to stay home and play in the yard or whathaveyou. I have mom friends tell me how their kids can play and paint at home all day; not mine for sure.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Also wanted to point out this recent study about the amazing health benefits of running for even 5 minutes a day:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-f...ll-you-n166871

I seriously depend on daily exercise for my sanity. I think you would see some big improvements if you made it a non-negotiable part of your routine.
    I saw this on the today show this morning! I am SURE it's true. I have always felt better mentally when I got exercise. I imagine the same is true for my kids too. Case in point - today. Today.has.been.miserable. Of course i am quick to blame myself. That my lack of enthusiasm for well, anything right now, is rubbing off on them or causing them stress and to act out. Perhaps that is true, perhaps they are not getting enough stimulation, or perhaps they are just kids doing what kids do. They are off the walls though, not listening, fighting.like.crazy, wild, loud, etc. I am losing it. It is getting to DH too which normally makes me mad because i feel like he should have more patience having not been with them all day, but today I am realizing that if it breaks him down within one hour, imagine what it's doing to me all day?

Thank goodness today is almost over and I will try to start fresh tomorrow. I know part of it is I have been going to sleep way too late (12/1am) and waking up or being restless throughout the night. The past 2 days in a row have been like that. I am really going to try to get to sleep early and plan out tomorrow better. DD1 is in camp so she is taken care of. DD2 and 3 have doc appts in the morning (should be fun), then it's home for lunch and nap and I am hoping to be able to focus on some quality time with DD2. Hoping. I say this every day and it doesn't work out for one reason or another.

I definitely think I have some kind of seasonal depression but as usual it's the opposite of most people's lol. Seriously though I HATE the heat and constant sunlight which sounds really odd but it's true. I find myself wishing it would just get dark at 5:30 like it does in the winter. Also, yes the lack of routine is really making me crazy but when I try to set up something it blows up in my face. Either the kids are fighting and making it totally painful to get through or they are refusing to go outside or do what I am asking....

I am glad I am not along but sorry for anyone else who feels this way! It stinks!

It sounds like you get some time to yourself in the form of MIL and your mother, but you're still at your house ... so maybe you're not able to let go of the day and the stress like you would if you were out of your home environment during that free time.

I often find that I have to force myself to do stuff. Your apathy toward being social is familiar, but it never fails that if I go out with a good friend I typically end the time spent together feeling quite refreshed and ready to tackle whatever is next. Perhaps forcing yourself to get out would be a good thing for you ... 90% of the time I just meet a friend for coffee.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Am. I am going to echo Marcie. I know it's beating a dead horse for you-the exercise thing. But considering your goals, and how hard it is for you to make the time for yourself at all, makiing the time for yourself in a direction to further goals could be a game changer for you (both mentally and physically).

I've been there. And focusing on MYSELF is what helped me WANT to be with my kids, to do things with them. Taking time away from there was the best thing i could do. It required DH be on board-both to be home so I could do what I needed to do (notice I don't say wanted. it wasn't a want. It was a need) but also to push me out the door to do it. I HAD to join a gym. Running didn't come first, lifting at home-those didn't fill the need I had. Leaving the house alone to go to the gym was the first step. 10 minutes at first, then I conquered my fear/anxiety over group fitness, then did some personal training just to get myself on track and finally I found JOY in it. And as that happened, things shifted big time at home.

But I know that's not for everyone-other people it's something completely different. But you NEED to find a way to have at least 30 minutes to YOURSELF. This means dh NEEDS to recognize that need in yourself. Shutting yourself in your room isn't an awesome solution because you're still home, in earshot, seeing all that needs done.

I like that you're acknowledging that you're probably depressed and have set a time limit before seeing someone. But be sure you're doing something different between now and then to try and make some changes, or nothing will change. Kids will go back to school and there will be a new thing to be depressed about-every time you get into a project or whatever, suddenly nap time is over/lunch for baby/kids need picked up, etc. If you don't find a way to get things rolling now, you'll be here next year in the same situation.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time! Kids are soooo demanding and they sometimes just suck t he desire to do anything out of you. I get that. But that said...I agree with all who suggested getting out of the house on your own is a good idea. Take a walk (any colleges nearby with an indoor, air conditioned track?), get coffee with a pal or alone, go to the bookstore, anything, it may not even matter what you do. Just getting away from the chaos can work wonders. Make yourself do it and see how you feel.

And I think you are right...when school starts things should look up. Won't it just be you and your youngest then? I know I should feel sad that my middle is going to school in the fall and I do, a little bit, but honestly I am looking forward to having a brand-New routine.

I do hope you feel better soon.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I feel the same way you do a lot of the time. My son started camp 3 weeks ago and didn't like it after the first couple days-I am so glad he decided to try again because he likes it better now and I don't know what I would have done with those 4 weeks if he had been home. It's hard having just one because I only have one to entertain. Some days I wish I had a girl who liked princesses and stuff but I can see how it could get tiring just like having a boy who wants to swordfight and hit the tennis ball around can get tiring.

Tif said it so well. Everything really but she summed up my feelings very well. I had to get away from my kids a little to want to be with them and do things with them.

I'm so sorry, Am. It does sound like depression. That lack of desire to do anything is definitely a red flag. Can you see your dr? Are you taking vitamins? I also agree that while it sounds like you have great support, you still aren't getting honest to goodness time for yourself if you stay home. Hugs.

Sorry I can't respond to everyone individually because I really appreciate the responses. Many of you are saying the same thing and I totally agree that those things will help. Exercise. vitamins, sleep and getting out will probably help SO much. Doing some of those things will not be easy now but I only have 1 more month before everything will change. I can work on getting out and exercising though. I have been trying to remember to take my vitamins especially the Bs. I ordered B complex gummies from amazon because the taste of the pill makes me gag so badly! They should be here soon. Also working on drinking enough water and trying to get to sleep earlier. Part of the problem is DD2 who refuses to go to sleep before almost 11pm. We have started making her do quiet things in our bedroom and basically making her stay out of the living room so we at least get a break. We watch DVRed shows at night but sometimes don't start them until 11 and they go past midnight.

Today has been a lot better but that is what is very frustrating about the way I feel. I have good days and bad. Today is a pretty good day. Yesterday was pretty awful. I got more sleep last night and I also forced myself to get DD2 and I out back and jump around a bit then spent the whole afternoon doing things she wanted to do. 2 major sources of guilt for me come from DD2 - that she doesn't get enough exercise or stimulation and that I am not spending enough quality time with her before she starts kinder in Sept. I feel SO guilty that I am looking fw to her going to kinder but she requires A LOT of attention and I don't feel like I am giving her what she needs. I don't even feel like I CAN anymore.

Anyway, DD1 bday is this weekend so I am really stressed about it and that isn't helping. I think I have to also start each day consciously instead of unconsciously and what I mean by that is that I need to look at the day and think about what will happen rather than just go through the motions. That is kind of what I did today and it felt more meaningful than just trotting through the day. Tomorrow is our free day - no camp or activities. I have a few errands planned but I think I should come up with something else or we could fall into the same pattern we did on Tues which was bored and angry....
    Last edited by macksmom; 07-30-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Funny I saw this thread... I was just about to post a very similar one.

I NEED more time for me.... even if it is 30 mins in the morning, or afternoon... I NEED to get out of the house without children. I'm on about 2 weeks straight of no child free time (minus 1-2 hrs post bedtime) -- and I'm showing it today.

Felt so guilty for being super grumpy all morning -- finally got the baby to nap and sent the 2 older ones to play in the basement for a bit of quiet time. I just need to be able to find a bit more time that is MY time and that I can get out walking, or have a coffee in peace and quiet, visit a friend... something. I'm home all summer with the kiddos, we (like many) are on a very restricted budget... and then the rain hits, so even our easy walks/bike rides and trips to the park are out.

I love my kids, so very much, and my husband, but finding it hard these days!!!

What time do your kids and your DH get up? I am so NOT a morning person, but I would actually love it if I could get up 30 min before everyone and get outside for a walk/run/bike ride before the chaos starts. I think that is part of the reason I have been enjoying exercising so much lately. It is MY time, and I can clear my head, turn up "adult" music, and just tune everting else out.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't really work with our family's schedule right now. If the kids would consistently sleep till 6:30, I would totally get up at 6 and go run. The very rare mornings that I am up before the kids, I absolutely cherish sitting in a quiet house with a cup of coffee watching the news. Maybe there is a way to work this in? I know you have been struggling with getting enough sleep, but if you could work in the exercise, maybe you would feel more refreshed?

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Thank you so much for all the replies and advice. The sad thing is - I do get breaks. In fact my MIL is here right now hanging out with the older kids while the baby is napping. My mom has been out of town since last week but when she is here she will take the older 2 during nap time to her pool. By 8pm I am DONE with everyone and I take my kindle and read and DH deals with the kids. DD1 is in camp MWF from 9-4. I could probably make social plans any night I want (as long as I put the baby down first) and DH would support it. The scary thing is that I think I have withdrawn too much. I have no interest in doing anything. I don't want to take classes or go out with friends or go shopping or work out

Today is a particularly bad day it seems. I did not sleep well last night so I think that is contributing. I was going to post this exact thing last week but things got better and I thought it was changing. Then I have a bad day and I am back where I started. I feel like I am crawling out of a hole and sometimes I think I will make it to the top and then I slip back and may end up down further than I was before. And that is what is so frustrating about this. Some days are good, some are bad and I never know which day it will be. I always have good intentions about the day but then things may not go as planned and I start to get down about it and feel like a loser. Once I get down I have a hard time pulling myself up. I don't like how I am towards the kids. I am not happy around them. I feel like I bark at them all day for things that are not that big of a deal. But then I realize that maybe I don't have it as easy as I think. It's hard dealing with kids all day, especially a moody 2 year old. This morning everyone was fighting and angry and the baby gave me SUCH a hassle at nap time. Yesterday I had a doc appt. I had to do personal history with 3 different people and each one asked if I had kids and their ages. When I told them "2, 5 and 7" their response was always one of "omg wow ok so you have a lot going on"! I appreciated that they recognized that it was a lot of work but also found myself thinking 'what is the big deal'? So sometimes I give myself a break and say, 'you are doing the best you can with a difficult job' and other times I am hard on myself thinking, 'you have been doing this for years and these are your kids...they are happy and healthy, be thankful and deal with it'. A nurse yesterday was going on and on and on about how it goes so fast and enjoy them while they are young, yada, yada....it made me feel SO much worse. Like they are slipping through my fingers and if I don't shape up and realize how great I have it now I will look back with tons of regrets and it will be too late.

I am not sure where I am going with all that but I guess my point is, I do get breaks but still may be burnt out just because I have been doing this for so long now. I think those of you who said I need to start with me are totally right and I think I lost myself but just don't know how to get back, or even WHO to get back to.
    I have no advice but totally could have written this myself! 2 & 5 together are hard ages! My Dh does so, so much but I just feel like I'm in the land of the walking numb. There are tons of things I'd like to do with my family but when it comes down to actually doing it I just feel so blah. And i'm so tired of just being a mom. I used to be so much more but since the triplets I feel that's all anyone, or myself, sees.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

How are you today, Am?

Quote Originally Posted by WishingNat View Post
    Funny I saw this thread... I was just about to post a very similar one.

I NEED more time for me.... even if it is 30 mins in the morning, or afternoon... I NEED to get out of the house without children. I'm on about 2 weeks straight of no child free time (minus 1-2 hrs post bedtime) -- and I'm showing it today.

Felt so guilty for being super grumpy all morning -- finally got the baby to nap and sent the 2 older ones to play in the basement for a bit of quiet time. I just need to be able to find a bit more time that is MY time and that I can get out walking, or have a coffee in peace and quiet, visit a friend... something. I'm home all summer with the kiddos, we (like many) are on a very restricted budget... and then the rain hits, so even our easy walks/bike rides and trips to the park are out.

I love my kids, so very much, and my husband, but finding it hard these days!!!
    Yes it's hard and I am finding even with breaks I feel like I need more.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    What time do your kids and your DH get up? I am so NOT a morning person, but I would actually love it if I could get up 30 min before everyone and get outside for a walk/run/bike ride before the chaos starts. I think that is part of the reason I have been enjoying exercising so much lately. It is MY time, and I can clear my head, turn up "adult" music, and just tune everting else out.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't really work with our family's schedule right now. If the kids would consistently sleep till 6:30, I would totally get up at 6 and go run. The very rare mornings that I am up before the kids, I absolutely cherish sitting in a quiet house with a cup of coffee watching the news. Maybe there is a way to work this in? I know you have been struggling with getting enough sleep, but if you could work in the exercise, maybe you would feel more refreshed?
    DD3 finally started STTN a few months ago so we are still getting used to that but they all get up around 7/7:30ish. I should TOTALLY get up before them but I just can't seem to get myself to do it. I stay up too late and if I get up too early I can't make it for long at night at all. Once they start school I may get into the habit of getting up earlier. DH leaves at 7:30 and I like to shower before he leaves so I know I get one in because I get really grumpy if I don't shower. I am NOT a morning person....like at all lol!

Quote Originally Posted by As Is View Post
    I have no advice but totally could have written this myself! 2 & 5 together are hard ages! My Dh does so, so much but I just feel like I'm in the land of the walking numb. There are tons of things I'd like to do with my family but when it comes down to actually doing it I just feel so blah. And i'm so tired of just being a mom. I used to be so much more but since the triplets I feel that's all anyone, or myself, sees.
    I hear ya. I love being a mom of course but I feel like I need something else lately....

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    How are you today, Am?
    Thanks for asking I am ok but so consumed with DD1's bday party this weekend that I don't have time to even think about how i feel. I am SO upset because it's supposed to rain on the ONE DAY we planned her party. So I have been semi-obsessed with that but still feeling crappy about how I act towards them. I have been trying very hard to do quality things and to not be so hard on myself for letting them watch extra TV so I can sit and relax a bit. I do have to force myself to do things with them. I wish I wanted to and I do in theory but in practice it is harder than I realize. And that makes me feel crappy.

My mom is back from her trip so next week will hopefully be a good balance of breaks and quality time and once DDs party is in the past I am sure I will feel a huge weight lifted.

Sorry Am. And UGH for raining on the one day you set the party.... That would drive me bonkers
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)