Thread: HELP - baby refusing to eat

Default HELP - baby refusing to eat

My 7 1/2 month old has been a nightmare to feed for the last month and a half. We've had about 3-4 days reprieve before it started again. Basically, she used to eat five 6 oz (30 oz. overall) bottles a day plus a "snack" of baby food. For the last month, it is almost impossible to get her to eat more than 3oz at a time and it's a struggle to get even20 oz in her. She is not constipated (poops VERY regularly), no colds or congestion, no ear infections. She's been checked for strep throat, hand foot and mouth disease. She threw up for the first time Saturday night, but I am at my wits end. Even if it was a cold diminishing her appetite, that shouldn't last this long.

Has anyone had a baby quit eating well for a month plus before? Causes? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Rae (27), DH (26), Lucas (6/3/12), Amelia (12/13/13)

As aggravating it is its the one true thing kids even as infants can control what goes in and what comes out. I've learned the hard way with both children. The idea I do have is maybe reflex. We didn't know Cody had acid reflex until he was 4. It was silent so he never felt the heartburn but, the kid is pick enough as it is then to vomit on top of it was pretty miserable. That's my only idea other than possibly allowing for her to eat bit more baby food. I know at this age its mostly formula or breast milk but, they can have more baby food as they get older.
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

It could be heartburn.

How has her weight gain been (presumably that has been checked every time that you have gone in to have those other things checked out)? If that is still fine, it could be that she just isn't as hungry lately, too.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Teething, maybe ?

Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Are you scheduling her feedings or baby lead feeding? I would jusy follow her ques and just watch her weight gain. If you had had everything checked and she's happy and thriving I wouldn't worry about it. Offer it to her and if she doesn't want it then don't force it. A healthy baby will not intentionally starve themselves. Since I bf I honestly do not know how many ounces for each age. I don't ever recall my Ds taking more then 4oz of bm at one sitting even at 8 months old. What does your doc think?

Does she really like the baby food? Could she be holding out hoping for more of that? We were probably around the same feeding schedule with DS at that age. He absolutely LOVED when we moved him to baby food. My little tank didn't drop any formula, but he definitely wanted more of the baby food once we introduced that.

DD on the other hand, is 4 1/2 and still goes up and down with her eating - she has never been a good eater, though. I think if she is gaining weight and still peeing and pooping regularly, you probably don't need to worry too much. But I also know how much easier said than done that is!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My DD did the same at 6 months old, i tried everything and took her to doctors so so many times... Even hospital at one point i was so scared she would dehydrate.. Starve. Dunno. I just know how scary it is when they just refuse to feed but seem ok. Hugs!
    She had reflux from birth, never happy with milk, but somehow gained weight on track. She drank less and less, then just refused! Tried all sorts of milks, but then she got upset at even sight of the bottle. I know, i pushed it too much. I had to weane her completely and to this day, 6.5yrs, she has never touched milk since. I removed all dairy too for a couple of years and slowly reintroduced it at 3. She can eat a little cheese, yogurt now but only in small amounts.. She regulates herself now, she seems to know how much..will stop eating an ice cream even!

My advice, don't push the milk/bottle. If she is not dehydrating, gaining weight, then she will be ok so try not to worry too much. My dd still eats really small amounts but is thriving!! I did have some success with soya milk for a while if you do think its dairy related maybe?

Hope this helps any and you find a solution soon
    Edit to add: dd was allergy tested but passed them all
    Last edited by V; 07-29-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    V (36) Single, working mum to DD (5) DS (3)

around that time i was offering tiny bits of water in a sippy cup, and more baby food. with my dd she prefered to self feed so when she was about 8 months old i was giving her chopped up bits of soft foods (avocados, peas, cooked cut carrots, chopped strawberries, etc) and that was the only way she would eat. (she was breastfed and was only wanting to nurse a few times a day and once in the night.
    maybe try letting your l/o try more baby food or self feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Teething, maybe ?

ITA my 8 month old has been doing the same thing and his first two teeth are cutting thru right now.
    mom of 2 girls and 2 boys... 6,4,2, and 8 months

With the food thing...I try to take a very child led approach. If he wants to eat 20 times a day, I let him. If he doesn't want lunch one day--then no lunch it is. My DS has been growing and gaining so it seems to be working for us. Also DS is breast fed so I really have no way of knowing how many ounces he is drinking on any given day so I feel that the same should go for a FF baby.