Thread: Birthday Party Activities

Blog Entries

Default Birthday Party Activities

We are throwing a small party for My DD's fifth birthday this next month. Whole families are invited. We plan to grill the main course and have all sorts of summery types of sides.

The age range of children that are coming is from infant to age 12. What types of activities would you suggest? We do plan to have water activities (kiddie pool, sprinkler, squirt guns) and have various bikes, bubbles and sidewalk chalk. Do you have any creative suggestions for me for more organized play?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

maybe a craft that they can then play with? Make/decorate a wand/light saber? We got a batch of cheap plastic sunglasses and a whole bunch of sequins and glue at my daughter's and kids decorated them. Or you can get templates for a bunch of photo booth props off pinterest and take a bunch of pics of everyone?

We had a similar party for Cody last weekend but, hardly any kids showed up so it was a slow going party. The kids really loved the water balloons. Maybe you could divide the activities up into stations if there will be a lot of children.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 07-27-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    maybe a craft that they can then play with? Make/decorate a wand/light saber? We got a batch of cheap plastic sunglasses and a whole bunch of sequins and glue at my daughter's and kids decorated them. Or you can get templates for a bunch of photo booth props off pinterest and take a bunch of pics of everyone?
    Those are great ideas! Thank you so much for mentioning them. I do think that all the kids from three all the way to twelve will have fun doing stuff like that. The littles will have plenty of fun with the water stuff we have planned.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    We had a similar party for Cody last weekend but, hardly any kids showed up so it was a slow going party. The kids really loved the water balloons. Maybe you could divide the activities up into stations if there will be a lot of children.
    I did an Evite where you need to speficy how many kids will be there. The max we'll have is 15. With us being a home school family we know whole families and not just kids. I'm not sure when we'll switch to true kid only birthday parties.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

We don't do birthday parties like that, but at DD's school festivals, there are always craft-y things to do. Usually, different stations, setup with activities - like paper chain snakes, decorating paper masks, or crowns (bling is good; even the big kids can't turn them down), coloring with glitter glue, pipe cleaner flowers, etc.

One thing that was a huge and unexpected hit - magic potion. Basically, vinegar with dish detergent added to it, kids get to pick a color to add to it, and you pour that into some baking soda with glitter(AKA Fairy Dust). Messy, but really good fun.

A pinata, maybe?

Blog Entries

The Fairy Dust and Pinata are both great ideas.

Now we have to figure out how to decrease the mosquito population in the back yard...
    My blog about MCAD

Does she have a theme?

How big is your yard? We have a large deck and if we strategically place fans around, the Mosquitos don't stand a chance. One of my dad's old tricks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    Does she have a theme?
    No. We don't watch a lot of TV (my goal is actually no TV each day). I am not a crazy birthday party thrower either (I simply do not have the energy for it). Good friends, good food and fun is what I work to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    How big is your yard? We have a large deck and if we strategically place fans around, the Mosquitos don't stand a chance. One of my dad's old tricks.
    It is not very large at all - but the entire back is full of trees and bushes. Just walking on the grass tons of bugs fly away and some of those are also biting bugs (my ankles can attest to that). Fans might really work - good trick!. We are going to order this and run it every night for awhile to see if it helps diminish the population.
    My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    The Fairy Dust and Pinata are both great ideas.

Now we have to figure out how to decrease the mosquito population in the back yard...
    Have you heard of Mosquito Platoon? I have heard good things about them, and I think they use natural stuff, but I am not positive.

Blog Entries

We found some stuff to spray on the grass with the hose that is ok for pets and kids. We did buy that zapper and it does for sure zap all sorts of bugs attracted to the light and the scented disk on the bottom. We aren't sure if it is making a big difference yet.

I've decided that we're going to decorate baseball caps with all sorts of things. That would be fun for both girls and boys and allow a lot of space for decorating. I'll probably do the magic potion, too.

The youngest kids will actually be my two boys so we aren't going to do a kiddie pool after all. The baby will actually sleep through most of the party.

I have lots to do this week!
    My blog about MCAD