Thread: Help quick! Wwyd?

Default Help quick! Wwyd?

I have a job interview in a few days. Dd2 will be 5 months and 1 week old. She is EBF and has never had a bottle or sippy. I was planning on never giving her a bottle but now I don't know what to do.

I requested the interview to broken up into 1-1.5 hour increments and they are fine with that. So dd2 should be fine without food for that long (the interview is 10 mins away so I'll be gone 2 hours at the most).

What do I do for the *just incase* do I bring out a bottle for DH to have just incase? Or should I get a sippy cup just incase? I have a straw cup and have given it to dd with water but all she dis in chew on the straw so I don't think a straw cup would work for this.

Help!!

I would try the bottle. I had to give DS a bottle occasionally starting when he was a month old and he never had trouble going from bottle to boob. It's likely not the milk she'll be after during that time period but rather the comfort of sucking which is why I think a cup won't help.

I would definitely leave a bottle just in case. It would be awful if she wanted to eat and was inconsolable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I would definitely leave a bottle just in case. It would be awful if she wanted to eat and was inconsolable.
    I agree and good luck on your interview.
    *** Lindsay ***

I will def leave something!! But do I do a bottle or sippy cup? Are there super slow flow sippys? I have slow flow bottles but I can't decide if I should do bottle or sippy b

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    This, absolutely. The bottle will soothe her. I would rather my baby have a bottle than be inconsolable

You guys, come on!!! I would never ever EVER not leave any food/breast milk for my baby, seriously people!!

The question is: bottle OR sippy cup???

Bottle would most likely be easiest.
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

Both, and hubby can try which ever works? I wouldnt go with the hard to suck sippy though, if she has to work too hard for the milk from an unfamiliar object she might just give up.

Since you have a couple days, you have time to try it and see what she prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by Volura View Post
    Bottle would most likely be easiest.
    Dang, I didn't even think of that! Thanks!!!! Oops this was in response to the both comment from runningmomofmany
    Last edited by dunegirl; 07-25-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Both, and hubby can try which ever works? I wouldnt go with the hard to suck sippy though, if she has to work too hard for the milk from an unfamiliar object she might just give up.

Since you have a couple days, you have time to try it and see what she prefers.
    My thinking for a slow flow sippy was so that she would have to work for it and not prefer it over me. But you bring up a good point.

Just say no to sippy cups. They are terrible for speech development. http://blog.asha.org/2014/01/09/step...the-sippy-cup/
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    My thinking for a slow flow sippy was so that she would have to work for it and not prefer it over me. But you bring up a good point.
    I don't think there is much, if any worry of that at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Just say no to sippy cups. They are terrible for speech development. http://blog.asha.org/2014/01/09/step...the-sippy-cup/
    Yeah, I've heard of that.

I don't think there is much, if any worry of that at this point
    Oh good, I'm glad

So then if I do get the job should I continue with bottles until dd is 1 year? With dd1 we started transitioning her to a straw cup at 6 or 7 months so that she'd be off of bottles before 12 months and it worked. I'd like to do the same with dd2. But it seems a little silly to introduce a bottle for a couple of months and then switch to a straw cup, ya know.

I was thinking leave both. My D's #2 took to a straw sippy and never used a bottle. He was between 4-5 months. But that was for occasional babysitting. He was mainly boobies baby....

So I would start with bottle but leave a clean sterile sippy just in case. Can never have too many consoling options..lol

My friend who is a speech therapist says to stay away from sippy too UNLESS its straw sippy which she says will help with jaw and muscle development. Its only straw here for us..

Just say no to sippy cups. They are terrible for speech development.

http://blog.asha.org/2014/01/09/step...the-sippy-cup/
    Just to pipe In a bit, and I know that the exception doesn't disprove the rule but....
    Do can't shut up and she took a soppy cup for way too long.
    The only reason I thought of that is because I've worked all day and just want to drink a few glasses of wine and binge watch buffy but THIS KID DOES NOT STOP TALKING.
    =)

Dd2 can't shut up not do can't lol

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    My friend who is a speech therapist says to stay away from sippy too UNLESS its straw sippy which she says will help with jaw and muscle development. Its only straw here for us..
    Yes, straw cups are fine. I consider that an alternative to a sippy but I can see that would need clarification. I actually don't think they help with oral motor development but they don't hurt, either. I would use a straw cup with my own children.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy8 View Post
    Just to pipe In a bit, and I know that the exception doesn't disprove the rule but....
    Do can't shut up and she took a soppy cup for way too long.
    The only reason I thought of that is because I've worked all day and just want to drink a few glasses of wine and binge watch buffy but THIS KID DOES NOT STOP TALKING.
    =)
    They don't stop kids from talking but they can cause a lisp that is very difficult to get rid of.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Yes, straw cups are fine. I consider that an alternative to a sippy but I can see that would need clarification. I actually don't think they help with oral motor development but they don't hurt, either. I would use a straw cup with my own children.

They don't stop kids from talking but they can cause a lisp that is very difficult to get rid of.
    Oh. Huh, I never thought of that. Dd2 took one until she was 4. I'm glad there were no repercussions.

From reading the article, and the comments which were also very informative, it sounds like the author is concerned about a sippy cup impeding development, and continuing the suck similar to a bottle, that occurs roughly after 1yr. In this case, she's asking about a 5m old, whose other option is a bottle, not an open cup. And when you have a hungry baby and no mom in sight, you do whatever the baby will accept. Is there a reason to avoid a sippy cup prior to 1yr?

A friend of mine has 2 girls with down syndrome, their OT said to use a wide straw, so thats what i did with my DD too. I started giving her water with her meals when she started solids. i just used those disposable cups with straws. when she was a little older i tried to give her a sippy with a valve and she never could figure it out. She had never had a bottle after 3m old, and was tongue tied, i guess the combo made it too difficult to suck the cup. i dont let kids wander with cups, and she only had water in the cup so spills werent a big issue. Good to see it was helpful for her oral development too

The author said to avoid sippies after 10 months ... I defer to her because I know very little about pediatric feeding. That's not my area at all. She says it's okay before that, but at 5 months I don't see why a bottle would be any more harmful than a sippy anyway. I just would prefer to use a bottle and transfer directly to a cup (with lid is fine) and avoid the sippy spout completely rather than establish the habit in the first place.

A bottle my kids never took a sippy cup before 6 months.
    *** Lindsay ***

I would do a bit of trial and error. See what works for your little one. Id start by leaving a bottle and going outside or run errands for a length of time see how well she handles that if she does well i would stick with that first and then move to a sippy or straw a few weeks/months later. You know her best and it will all work out.

The author said to avoid sippies after 10 months ... I defer to her because I know very little about pediatric feeding. That's not my area at all. She says it's okay before that, but at 5 months I don't see why a bottle would be any more harmful than a sippy anyway. I just would prefer to use a bottle and transfer directly to a cup (with lid is fine) and avoid the sippy spout completely rather than establish the habit in the first place.
    Yeah I tend to agree.. for us a spout sippy was never an option. So either boobie to bottle to cup..or boobie to straw sippy to cup or boobie to cup..would by my options. We went to open cup with help pretty early 8-12 months..but it was either boobie or straw cup for the most part... Both boys 5 and 3 only get open cup now ..and usually just regular glass cups too just the smaller 8 oz version of the drinking cups dh and I use.

Sorry to hyjack thread..

If you read the comments she also says no straw, or to cut it off very short, as it also prevents the tongue from going where it should.

If you read the comments she also says no straw, or to cut it off very short, as it also prevents the tongue from going where it should.
    Yes, that's a good suggestion.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the question.
    I really think leave both and see what she takes better.