Thread: Speach Therapy for 3 yo

Question Speach Therapy for 3 yo

Hi,
    I have a quick question regarding ST for my 3 yo. My daughter was born with a "tied tongue" (ankyloglossia) which didn't affect her nursing but affected her ability to eat solid foods and speak. At 20 months old, we had it snipped and she was able to eat without issues and talk and sing, etc. However, she has a pronounced lisp and some of her words are hard to understand. She is a very smart, talkative and happy child, however, she does not speak as clear as she should, for her age.

I would like to get ST for her, but honestly, we have so much other expenses, I cannot afford to pay for a private ST right now. Do you know if there is anyway for us to get this ST for her before she starts school? She currently does not attend daycare or pre-school.

Thanks

Lisping is normal at three, so I wouldn't treat that in a child her age. She should be understandable about 75% of the time when she speaks, but all her sounds aren't expected to be in place at three. Lots of them are still developing.

If you take her to your local school district's early childhood special education department (look for something called Child Find) they will screen her for free and tell you if she needs speech. If she does need it, it's free through the schools but kids have to be VERY far behind to get therapy for speech sound disorders through the school system.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Lisping is normal at three, so I wouldn't treat that in a child her age. She should be understandable about 75% of the time when she speaks, but all her sounds aren't expected to be in place at three. Lots of them are still developing.

If you take her to your local school district's early childhood special education department (look for something called Child Find) they will screen her for free and tell you if she needs speech. If she does need it, it's free through the schools but kids have to be VERY far behind to get therapy for speech sound disorders through the school system.
    Thanks so much for this information. She is understandable about 50% of the time. For some words, I have to ask her to repeat it 2 or 3 times or I guess what she means by her context. Right now, she thinks we are all quite silly for not being able to understand her, my fear is that she will start thinking it's her, become self conscious, and speaking less.

If she gets St through the school, how would it work, since she is still only 3 and pre-K starts at 4.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by April1975 View Post
    If she gets St through the school, how would it work, since she is still only 3 and pre-K starts at 4.
    That would depend on what services your district offers and how much intervention they feel she needs. In my district, if a kid only needs speech and nothing else we often just have them come to the SLP's office once a week (just like you would bring her to an appointment at a private clinic) and that would be it. Kids who are enrolled in a preschool might be offered speech at their current preschool (that's what I do right now) but if they don't go to preschool the SLP who does the testing will decide whether to offer a preschool program through the school or to just give her speech only and have you bring her in. Either way, they will find a way to give her what she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That would depend on what services your district offers and how much intervention they feel she needs. In my district, if a kid only needs speech and nothing else we often just have them come to the SLP's office once a week (just like you would bring her to an appointment at a private clinic) and that would be it. Kids who are enrolled in a preschool might be offered speech at their current preschool (that's what I do right now) but if they don't go to preschool the SLP who does the testing will decide whether to offer a preschool program through the school or to just give her speech only and have you bring her in. Either way, they will find a way to give her what she needs.
    Thanks. I think developmentally she is on track. The ST is the only thing she needs. I did have the ST who treats my middle son meet her (DS#2 has PDD) and she says said I should have DD evaluated because she thinks she will need ST. She also said it's customary for them to recommend ST for children who have had their tongues snipped. I did have her evaluated by EI shortly after her surgery, but they said I should wait at least 6 months and see. Unfortunately I waited too long and EI ended when she turned 3.

It probably would have been difficult to place her for EI, so don't beat yourself up about waiting. Between three and four is when a lot of this often begins to show up as a problem.

Thought I would share this with you regarding ankyloglossia. Basically, evidence seems to state that although it is rare for it to cause speech difficulties, many doctors and SLPs believe there is a relationship anyway. It's a controversial topic. I don't have a strong opinion about it myself, but in my years working with children, only a handful of them have had a history of tongue tie and only one of that small number also needed speech therapy. I also have a mild tongue tie myself, that does not affect speech. So it seems my experience is consistent with what the evidence says on the subject.

Despite these reports and the lack of evidence, many professionals still believe that ankyloglossia is a common cause of speech problems. In a recent survey, Messner and Lalakea (2000) found that 60% of ENTs, 50% of SLPs, and 23% of pediatricians believed that ankyloglossia is likely to cause speech problems.
    http://search.asha.org/default.aspx?...e&mqvs=5242880

Thanks so much! The children in ST that you see who were tongue tied, how severe was their speech prior to ST? Have their been marked improvement in their articulation?

I only know of one case where I felt the tongue tie actually caused speech issues - a little boy who had every single other sound correct, but he couldn't extend his tongue between his teeth to say TH and he would substitute all kinds of different sounds in place of it. Sometimes it would be D, or N, or F, but it wasn't consistent the way a child with a traditional speech sound delay would be (like a kid who always says W instead of R, for example). But because it only affected one sound, I understood 90% or more of what he said, and because he physically couldn't make TH, I actually wasn't able to place him - the rules say a physical problem that prevents a child from benefiting from therapy makes them ineligible. I discussed it with the parents and told them to talk to the doctor about whether they wanted to have it clipped, and if he didn't improve, to bring him back after it was done. I never saw him back ... but I couldn't say if that meant they didn't clip or if they did clip and he improved right away.

Other kids have had a history of tongue tie that was repaired, but the speech delay I saw could not have been caused by tongue tie - it affected sounds that tongue tie would not have affected if that makes sense. The article I linked to explains it - but it is pretty much just L or TH that it would be a problem for.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.