Thread: Tips for kindergarten?

Default Tips for kindergarten?

It looks like there is a good chance I will be getting a job and sending my oldest to public school as a kindergartner. I had been planning to homeschool until about 2 weeks ago, so I haven't put much thought into sending her off to school. Other than the list of supplies needed from the school, what else should I get? Is there anything else I should consider? Anything you didn't realize would be a good idea until after your child started going to school?

I would suggest taking a look at the public school lunch menu if that's a concern for you for me it didn't matter but, its important to other parents sometimes. Look at their vaccination requirements (if its an issue), their school polices, just researching the school in itself is good and typical their information on polices and such will be on their website. If she would need after school daycare or before school daycare pricing should be on the specific school website. Double check if a uniform or dress code is in place to be prepared if she would need different clothes also if she would be on a school bus. As far as physical things she might need that should all be on the list for supplies. I think the big thing is to go over all school polices and such. Good luck with starting the new job. I hope everything works out for you and your family.
    *** Lindsay ***

We are sending our first to school, too. DS is/was nervous, but he has met a bunch of kids who are also going to kinder, so that is helping him feel more excited about it. Could you find out when open houses/back to school night meetings are? Does the school allow tours? Does it have a playground you could play at during the day? Those are just things we did/are doing to get my son familiar with the school.

My neighbor actually just reminded me to get the medical and dental forms in. Apparently, they want them by August 15th. We registered late since we just moved, so they didn't give me a deadline, but I know schools will want those forms before school starts.

Thanks, ladies. I am hoping if I get this job that she can attend the same school I would be working at. She is not anxious about it at all. She has been asking to go to "big kid school with the buses" for at least a year now. I'm sure there will be some transition once it actually happens and she has to wake up early and go every day, but right now she is thrilled with the thought.

I was thinking of little things like writing her name on everything, and tips on packing lunches, or organizing stuff... I don't know. I guess its probably a lot of learn as you go.

See if there is a letter that goes home to kindergarten parents with requests. In one school where I taught, we provided canvas bags for the kids that they decorated themselves. But at the other schools, the kids all needed some sort of backpack or bag and a folder for sending important papers home. Also, look into if it is half day or full day - do the kids eat lunch there? Is there a rest time? Can they bring one love/toy for rest time? Most schools will have a system, and there is usually an introductory letter and/or orientation where they will outline this with the parents. You will want to put her name on everything. Kindergartners forget everything!

As a former k teacher, I would start putting responsibilities on your DD front he beginning. Little things like having her carry her own bag and/or lunch, so she gets used to being responsible for her own things, and to help her start developing independence for when she in the classroom.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

Is your K all day? If so I would put extra curricular activities on hold for a while. Kiddos are often very tired after a whole day of having to pay attention/learn new routines/etc. Hope you both have a great year!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)