Thread: where should we go for a family vacation?

Default where should we go for a family vacation?

9 people aged 3-70 (kids are 3,10,13,15,17,19). No long car rides, no passports, no camping.

My husband broke his tail bone about 2yrs ago and can't sit for a long time, and driving is the worst for it. Air travel is bad but not as bad. We had planned to go to HI, and that is still what we are working on, but even with that we arent sure where to go/stay/do/etc. I would really prefer some place closer. Kids aren't crazy about the idea of disney land, but that seems to be the ovious place, it's about a 2hr flight for us. There must be other stuff to do around there besides theme parks , right?

Where are you? What sort of things are y'all interested in?

No idea where you live, but we love Colorado and have been doing family vacations there for 4 decades. I'd go to a ski town, rent a condo or two, and then ride horses, bikes, hike, golf, tennis, fishing, rafting, swimming, etc. Lots of great outdoors stuff to do for all ages.

Portland OR, sorry, i thought i put that in. Wide variety of likes, as you would expect. my oldestgirls would be happy just sitting by a pool or beach. or just reading in a hotel room, lol. The rest of us do enjoy hiking, seeing new sights, etc.

Have you done either Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon corridor (personally, I prefer Bryce and Zion to GC)? When are you planning to go? Jackson Hole is fairly close to both Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and that whole region is just lovely.

What about Alaskan cruise?but not sure if you need passports or not. Lake Tahoe is amazing this time of year.

Redding, CA would be doable. Might be to close but we loved Lincoln City, OR. What about the Olympic Penisula or Seattle? So many museums,parks, waterfront opportunities & trail at both those places. We also love Glacier NP in Montana.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

What about a train trip up or down the coast to the Bay Area / Monterey or Seattle? Tons of stuff to do for young and old alike, and people who don't like sitting can get up and move around, or a sleeper can be rented for lying down.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    What about a train trip up or down the coast to the Bay Area / Monterey or Seattle? Tons of stuff to do for young and old alike, and people who don't like sitting can get up and move around, or a sleeper can be rented for lying down.
    We talked about doing that, but DH and DD#2 get motion sick and we were afraid to base a whole trip on train. same for cruise.

We are OK with air travel too.

I love San Diego. Beach, bay, shopping, great restaurants, Balboa Park, Sea World, Legoland isn't too far... You can rent sailboats, surfing lessons... I don't know if it is still there or the condition of it nowadays, but we used to stay at the Princess Resort as a family (6 of us). I believe it was like condos so we had bedrooms and kitchens to be able to do breakfast and some other meals there as well.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I have friends who really enjoyed their San Diego vacation as well.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Glacier? Vancouver, BC? If you want to head to Seattle PM me, I know this area reeeeaaaallly well. LOTS to do within 3 hours with a Seattle base.