Thread: Roller coaster first appt

Default Roller coaster first appt

Today I had my first appt. first off they took my blood pressure and it said 145/104. Gasp!!!! I said to her that I've never ever seen that number on me in my entire life! Something was off! She then tried it again on my other arm and it was 126/89...closer to my normal range. So of course the OB told me I need to monitor my BP twice a day and call on Friday to give them the numbers. She said I may likely struggle with hypertension this pg...I am nervous now. I'm hoping and praying I can keep mt BP at bay without meds or anything.

The Doppler didn't pick up a heart beat. So she sent me in for a u/s. We had estimated I am 7wks 5 days, but baby measured at only 7wks...I have been 5 days off this whole time. A little discouraging, but we heard the heart beat and it's at a sturdy 143. So hoping that this roller coaster start doesn't send me all the way to crazy town!

So relieved to hear the heart beat though! Whew!

Yay for hearing the heartbeat!! Hopefully your blood pressure will stay under control, I have to take medication to because I have slight hypertension and my doctor recommended I take a baby a spring during pregnancy as well.

So happy you got to hear the heart beat!!!!
    DH (36), Lee (32), Layann (10), Noelle-Harrison (8), Safiyah (4), Stella (1)
    expecting #5
    My Ovulation Chart

So exciting to hear the heart beat. I sometimed think ofc blood pressure machines are off. At my OB ofc mine read extremely high but had stopped a restart 4 time and read 150/96. I said that band is to tight I think it should be checked on the other arm the old fashioned way and the nurse refused to do it. The next day my upper arm was a solid bruise. I think as patients we have the right to ask for an old-fashioned bp check. I hope it was machine/use error and that you have no more trouble with it.

for a hb!!!!!

I'm sorry about your bp being elevated though...hoping it was just a fluke and yourcreadings this week are all normal !!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I've never heard of anyone using the doppler at 7 weeks ... that's way too early. They had trouble getting DS2 and DS3's hbs on the doppler at 11 weeks for goodness sake!! Glad they sent you for the u/s. Sorry the dates are a bit off, my dates and their dates are always off from each other. I feel certain all is well for you!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by CBROWN View Post
    Yay for hearing the heartbeat!! Hopefully your blood pressure will stay under control, I have to take medication to because I have slight hypertension and my doctor recommended I take a baby a spring during pregnancy as well.
    My last pregnancy my BP stayed in the 130s/80s mostly...not too too bad, but still elevated...and then the last month I was starting to reach closer to 140s. So they monitored me a lot then.
    So far my BP (besides that fluke yesterday) has been the same as my last pregnancy. I'm really trying hard to exercise and eat right....low sodium, low sugar, NO caffiene (even chocolate! ). So hopefully we'll keep it at bay.
    Good luck with your BP situation too!!
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I've never heard of anyone using the doppler at 7 weeks ... that's way too early. They had trouble getting DS2 and DS3's hbs on the doppler at 11 weeks for goodness sake!! Glad they sent you for the u/s. Sorry the dates are a bit off, my dates and their dates are always off from each other. I feel certain all is well for you!
    Well, at that time we thought I was closer to 8 weeks. She still wasn't going to try, but then after doing my exam she thought my uterus felt pretty large (she said a lot of times csections do that), so she thought she'd give it a try. So I actually wasn't worried when she didn't find anything...I would've been surprised if she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee16 View Post
    So happy you got to hear the heart beat!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    for a hb!!!!!

I'm sorry about your bp being elevated though...hoping it was just a fluke and yourcreadings this week are all normal !!
    Thank you!! Even as small as baby was on the u/s, we could still see the little heart beating on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Exactly what she said, too early for doppler! omgoodness. And, baby could catch up and be ahead of schedule the next time you visit! Their machines are always give or take 5-7 days.

CONGRATS THOUGH!!!

Congratulations and Yay to heartbeat!