Thread: Fall/winter babies...

Default Fall/winter babies...

Anyone else feeling concerned about having a baby at the beginning of cold/flu season? We will all be getting flu shots, but obviously that doesn't protect from every strain of the flu nor from cold viruses like RSV.

I'm due Nov 15th, but even if baby arrives in Oct we'll be staying home for Thanksgiving. I'm not a total germophobe, lol, but I've had very sick babies before and it's just awful . I told dh he can take all the kids up north to visit family for Christmas and I'll stay home and snuggle baby all day, lol, he didn't think that sounded quite fair .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Not really. This is my second October baby. We flew to Florida for Christmas when he was 8 weeks and plan on doing it again with this little guy. I'll just have to keep DS a little ways away from baby bro since he will be in pre-school.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I'm only mildly concerned because DS1 will be starting Kindgergarten in a month. Not super happy about that timing, but what can you do??
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Nah I'm not concerned. I am thankful that we are homeschooling and since we selective VAX and not until after 2 years old we generally take preventative measures like keeping babies out of church nurseries, quarantine during outbreaks, me and dh keep up to date on vaccinations. If my older two were in public/private/or daycare I would probably be more concerned with childhood viruses ...with that said we always go through a round of the stomach bug between oct-march...every year. I'm hoping to avoid that if at allllll possible.

But there is always a risk and I do have to remind myself that I do the best I can and leave the rest to the Lord. Even if that means dealing with sickness or hardship.

I just wish people had a little more courtesy and common sense when it comes to illness in themselves and their kids. I totally understand stuff happens, like you go to a bday party and a kid who was fine 10mins ago starts throwing up or you go to the family Christmas gathering and a few days later a family member reports their kid has strep or croup, but it's difficult for me to reconcile when people will medicate themselves and/or their kids when ill then attend social events knowingly exposing babies and elderly people to an illness that could be very severe, or those with cold symptoms who say "it's just allergies" (maybe it is, but I'm not going to take the risk by letting them hold my baby) .

I take a lot of precautions with my older babies, so having an itty-bitty is making me leery about attending the holiday gatherings. It wouldn't bother me to miss them since the drive is usually pretty bad with MI weather anyway, but I know it means a lot to dh's mom and my mom to have us there.

Jen, lol, I think I'd have an anxiety attack in an airport with my newborn ! I think it's great you have peace about it though and ha, even I might be willing to brave an airport and family with a newborn if it meant Florida in Dec .

Dorcas, that is tough, but you're right, there's only so much you can do, really. Hopefully your ds will have a surprisingly healthy school year !

Brenda, that's a great perspective !

Yes courtesy would be nice. The last time we got the stomach bug was because we were at a party and someone said oh yeah my child threw up twice on the way here. He's feeling warm but we think its just something he ate. Grrrrr thanks...I think every child at that party got sick within the week. I think its plain selfishness on the part of the parents..when in doubt stay home.

Im starting to worry about the germ thing too kelly, when my daughter was 3 weeks old we took a trip to spend the holidays with family, all the daycare family members were feeling a bit under the weather, well my son got so sick he could barely open his eyes and my daughter who hadnt gotten her vaccines or anything yet, well she got rs virus and was so sick she needed to be hospitalized, we roomed with a little boy with the same who had to be put on a ventilator...im so paranoid this time and even more so my son is starting a preschool program and im scared to death hes gonna bring home germs to newbie..... Ugh the worry, im gonna have to turn our front hall into a decontamination chambwr hahaha

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

I will likely have DS1 come home and change out of his school clothes in the laundry room. Then go directly to the bathroom to wash his hands and face and finally put on 'play clothes' before stopping to see the baby after school.

We'll see how long that routine lasts ... It sounds like a lot of work.

At the end of the day I have to remind myself that we can't avoid germs. My DH is a High School English teacher, and while that population isn't quite as well known for spreading germs (like Grade School) he's around a large number of people daily ... Also, when DS1 was born my father lived with us and he worked as a CNA at a Nursing Home, so also large population of people who tend to be sick ...

I am on the band wagon of people being mad at inconsiderate people, though. Last Christmas my SIL was sick and didn't think it was noteworthy before we showed up for the normal Christmas Eve festivities. Ugh. Luckily no one got sick, but it really ruined the night for me because all I could hear was how sick she was. Blech.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Don't have much of a choice about flying to FL at Christmas. I have an 88-year-old grandma who cannot travel to us. Traveling over the holidays makes the most sense since DH has more days off then. Besides, I have a theory that FL sunshine can cure colds ;)
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I founds this on Pinterest and was thinking about doing something EXACTLY like it. Just setting it on the counter where everyone walks in? I dont know, that way I don't have to sound like a b!tch, they will see it and do it? Hmm....

Cute! I have found that most people who enter my home are respectful enough to get clean before touching a baby. It's the random strangers in public that seem to think they can touch any baby they please. I have seen people with variations of this type of thing on their infant carriers and I LOVE it!! https://www.etsy.com/listing/1269148...ar-seat-tag-no

I googled "stop sign for touching babies" and got A TON of cute images. I imagine it would be pretty easy to make your own.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I have one born in November and one born in October, and it was kind of miserable that they got sick. I never really went anywhere but my husband works outside the home so he'd always end up bringing some sort of sickness home. It's unavoidable. LOL They did get sick a couple times, just a stuffy nose, and I only had a couple of small heart attacks, but in the end they were fine. I worry a little bit of course but no more than I worry for my other two.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Kelly, your post made me smile. Here despite the season people have poor hygiene and little understanding that tiny babies shouldn't be touched by strangers. Just today some random preggo mom in indoor playground grabbed Eric's hand. Cool, I know you feel maternal but really after touching all the toys there and just being told he isn't even 1 month old yet? So, yeah, I am not a germaphobe either but some things irk me. And my dd is in a public kindy where parents bring kids with fever and all sorts of viruses (remember my thread about a parent who brought a kid to my class with potential stomach virus?). So she brought few nasty colds to dd2. Of course you can't avoid everything but being smart about it helps prevent some devastating ones.

Kelly,

You are super familiar with what happened to my little Brooke. It is not at all weird in any way for you to be cautious with baby...even more so to be overly cautious with your 1-5 year olds (I think you have 2 that fall into that category, lol, sorry.) the holidays are tough, of course you want to spend time with family... I would just ask a day or two ahead of traveling if anyone is sick or sniffling a little too much. Anyone who wants to touch baby can wash their hands or quickly get some sanitizer before. Just ask that no one kisses around baby's face or hands, whether they feel good or not. I still have a placard on the door from the hospital that states "Please Was Your Hands Before Touching Mine' (then it has cute little baby hands being cradled by adult hands). I truly think you will be okay with traveling and visiting for the holidays, just be cautious.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDonahue View Post
    I founds this on Pinterest and was thinking about doing something EXACTLY like it. Just setting it on the counter where everyone walks in? I dont know, that way I don't have to sound like a b!tch, they will see it and do it? Hmm....

OMG!!!! I LOVE this! And you should 100% do this! Also, ask the nursing staff if they have something like this, you can hook it to those baby links and hang if from the car seat or stroller. I used this one on Brooke's stroller when she was on immune suppressants last year

Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Oh my word, I love the little signs and tags...that is brilliant!!

We have to make special bibs for our kiddos during family events because people will try to feed them and they have moderate-severe reflux and food intolerances, so I doubt anyone would be shocked or offended if we had a cutsie sign or tag reminding to sanitize/wash !

Brittany, I think having had a baby/kiddo with a severe, life-threatening illness makes such a big difference in the concern-factor. My 7wk old preemie (2wk adjusted) was hospitalized with a life-threatening case of pertussis, I've had a 3yr old hospitalized with rota-virus, and we've eked out of a hospital stay with several of our kiddos who had RSV. Like I mentioned before some of my babies have had moderate-severe reflux and "failure to thrive" diagnoses...even a mild cold can really set them back.

For me, there's also the 10-kid factor, lol, a cold or flu bug at our house usually takes *months* for it to pass through everyone and sometimes illnesses will overlap so we'll just be getting rid of one when another one hits and we have to start over. It's not so much that we get everything that goes around...we usually just get a few bugs a year, but it just takes forever to get rid of it because we don't all get it at the same time.

I'm planning on hanging in at our house for Thanksgiving and Christmas, however, the family might come to us, lol!
    Defeats the germ prevention but saves us the travel, I guess. We are venturing out in January for a family wedding that DD1 is in. Ugh. Hopefully by that time DD2 will be as cool with travel as a 3 month old can be and it wont take us 3 days to get there.

As for others holding baby, etc. I feel like it doesn't happen too much in the early months for us because I'm always nursing or wearing baby. And we vax on schedule and ask people to wash hands. I guess that's all anyone can do, right? Unfortunately our LOs are just vulnerable during those first few months and we can't live in a bubble. We do our best. Just another reason I love the older ages: heightened immunity = less grey hairs for mommy!

Elle...I was just thinking about you Happy 27wks!!!!

Speaking of vax, I'm actually going to ask my kids' pedi if we can get their flu shots in mid-Sept this year . We are having a family get-together at our house the first or second weekend in Oct which could be just a few weeks before baby is born and I'd like to eliminate at least that one possibility...it's not much, but it's something. I also need to ask if my kids can get the Tdap booster at the same time. My oldest few had their last booster in '09, but with my oldest dd going to college, ds employed, and my 15y/o dd working with young children several times per week I'd really like them to get it as a precaution. Dh and I will both be getting it in Aug/Sept (lol, dh was NOT thrilled, but he was willing...he's not against vax, just against having to take time out to go to the dr at all ).

Awww thanks Kelly!

I know I don't check in as often as I should. Love seeing all your updates when I do though!

I already got a flu shot but need to make sure DD and DH do, and mention it to extended fam too. Great reminder!