Thread: Still jaundice at 3 weeks

Default Still jaundice at 3 weeks

Eric is still slightly jaundice. Which doesn't seem to be concern to the doctor but I never had a baby being jaundice for so long. What is your experience?

Most of my babies have been jaundiced for 2-3wks and I've had it last up to 6wks in a few of my babies (my preemie still had a slight yellow tinge at 3 months)...I was told it's from bfing and nothing needed to be done for it other than keep bfing as much as possible and call the pedi if the jaundice increases, their urine output decreases, they refuse to nurse, or if they seem lethargic.

An article on the topic:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000995.htm

We have had one baby who was readmitted for phototherapy and sent home for a week of at-home treatment with the "bili-blanket" and another who eked out of a hospital stay by literally 1pt (she had daily heel pokes until her bilirubin levels stopped rising).

I always lay my babies in the sun (through a window, not outdoors) as much as possible the first few weeks.

In my experience it makes them really tired until it improves...bfing usually goes well, but I have to wake them regularly to nurse or they'll just sleep and sleep and sleep. It's totally counter-intuitive because who wants to wake up a sleeping baby, lol, but it does help flush the bilirubin faster the more they nurse.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Ah, he nurses like every hour. This kid is hungry all the time lol I don't give him anything but bm and occasional gripe water or chamomile for his bad gas. The Dr told me oh give him to drink more water - cause here it is an answer to all illnesses. But if course I don't give it to him.

My experience is the same as kelly's. I would say most of mine looked slightly yellow for as long as 6wks. All of them had jaundice to some degree. Nursing is great, as is a little sun exposure.

Both of my kids were jaundiced and it took a while for the yellow tinge to completely go away. I would say 4-6 weeks with each. They had definitely improved, but there was still a slight yellow color, especially DD (she had less time on the bili-blanket, as DS spent about 5 days on it in the NICU. And I had two fall babies, so we couldn't really get outside for sun, so I put them in a onesie or just a diaper in the window a few times a day in the beginning.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Thank you for sharing ladies. He has natural reddish skin colour and all he has is slight yellow aroubd his eye but his eye balls are clear.
    Before we left the hospital the doctor use some machine on his skin to check for jaundice the number came at 168 which apparently was good even though he was more yellow at a time. He also had blood drawn and the result was supposed to be out last week..since I haven't heard from the hospital I assume all should be well.
    I'll just keep bf and monitoring.

Porter was jaundiced. He was on bili lights for 2-3 days. He looked yellow though for a long time. My pedi said the yellow in his eyes would go away around 4 weeks. So between 4-6 weeks he started looking better.