• My 3 yr old sometimes falls while running

3 16.67%
  • It's rare for my 3 yr old to fall down

9 50.00%
  • My kid is so clumsy I've wrapped her in a bubble

2 11.11%

Thread: How clumsy is your 3 year old?

Default How clumsy is your 3 year old?

Brooke's final (fingers crossed hopefully!) neurology appointment is on Wednesday the 23. I am trying to hash out what is clinically relevant to tell the doctor.

-in a nut shell- Brooke got a common cold and flu virus within a week of each other literally right at her 2nd bday. Her body went crazy when it coded her spine as part of the viruses. Her body attacked her spine from mid back all the way down. She lost all ability to walk, crawl, roll over and feed herself, essentially she was a newborn again. They called it Spinal Ataxia and her left over affects are Polyneuropathy.

I have a small list of all DDs improvements (hand shakiness, sweating, head shaking) are all sooooo much better. It is not noticeable to anyone who does not know her condition. I notice small things, my sis, my mom, mil, DH...but that's because we all know about everything.

My only question is how much she falls down. She literally can not run. If she starts running she falls. She also cannot balance herself. I do not want to compare her to my DS1. I know all kids are different, but what about the abilities of running and balancing with your 3 year olds? Thanks for the input.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Pretty rare, at that age. DD was doing ballet and Tae Kwon Do, in addition to PE, and her ability to balance and run are by no means, advanced.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My youngest falls down a lot. I held his hand quite a bit because he would fall if he walked down stairs without holding onto the railing (even with), if he ran fast, if he ran over bumpy ground, etc. I remember particularly one time when I was picking up his siblings from kindergarten and I was trying to hold his hand as he edged around a large tree with roots sticking out of the ground -- another mom scolded me for holding his hand and said I wasn't helping him learn by holding his hand. My face felt hot and I let go, and he fell down and scraped his whole face. He tends to be a little more clumsy than my other kids, who were well ahead of their peers, but I think he just didn't know his space very well and was always trying to keep up and doing too much, too soon.

DD2 is my most clumsy but still I would have put her between rare and sometimes at age 3. I can say my 2yo is the same even at age 2. I would definitely bring that up to the doctor but I would not be surprised if she had those troubles after what she went through. Hopefully it is something that can be easily worked on. Has she been seeing a physical therapist?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

My son is 3, and he rarely falls. He really only falls if he trips or isn't watching where it is going. It's not due to lack of balance or coordination. He can kick a ball, stand on one leg, dance, jump.

The preschoolers I see at work rarely fall, unless they aren't looking where they are going.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

ds does not pay much attention and trips a ton on his toys (that he refuses to pick up) we also have cracks in the sidewalk that he is always tripping on. and if he tries to run in the grass he will run about 15 -20 ft and fall get up and do it again.

dd is a clutz. she will fall for apparently no reason. just the other day she was standing still, went to take a step and ended up on her side.... i am hoping she gets better by age 3 though

My daughter will be 3 in Sept and i would say she rarely to never falls, even while runninng on a rough surface, down hill, like a rutted gravel road. My friend's daughter is 6wks older, and we walk together every week, and she falls nearly every time (though i suspect it might have something to do with ill fitting shoes, this woman thinks her children are bigger than they are) So i'm sure there is a range of normal, but I think in your daughter's situation it is definitely something to mention to the neurologist.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    DD2 is my most clumsy but still I would have put her between rare and sometimes at age 3. I can say my 2yo is the same even at age 2. I would definitely bring that up to the doctor but I would not be surprised if she had those troubles after what she went through. Hopefully it is something that can be easily worked on. Has she been seeing a physical therapist?

Yes we worked with PT. I cancelled after her therapy exercises remained routine and plus, I felt that her therapist wasn't being cautious. My DD was on immune suppressants to shock her adrenaline glands. Her PT was 1x a week and ever 4-5 days after therapy she would spike major fevers. He doctor had warned us of the dangers of her getting exposed to viruses and sending her down hill again. Just wasn't worth it to me. But thanks for reminding me! We may need to approach it again.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

Okay thanks so much ladies! I really really appreciate the input!

My older son was a very clumsy toddler, and it wasn't until he started pre-school that we realized that he is severely far-sighted. Once he got his glasses, he got much better about moving around. He still is quite clumsy, though!

DD falls rarely - usually when she's running or if she's tripped over something. But she is clumsy. She drops things she's holding and sometimes trips but that's from not paying attention!

When Cody was 3 had and still has great coordination I don't remember him failing at age 3 or it was very rare to I don't remember. Sophia is 2.5 and will be 3 in November she seldom fall or trips. She has to be in a real hurry to fall. We remind her to not run so fast especially if we are outside with concrete.
    *** Lindsay ***

Update:

So the appointment went well! I found out that Brookes actual diagnosis is Guillain-barre Syndrome (so her form is Acute Demyelination Polyneuropathy).... Progression is all very good. Unfortunately, once nerves are damaged (which is the demyelination part, stripped of their receptors) they can always be damaged. There are specific vaccinations Brooke can not get for at least 5 years, the flu vaccine is the most known (yes ladies, FYI, the flu vaccine is very much know to cause Guillian-Barre, it's a risk we all take apparently). And after further examine, stacking blocks, running down the hall, and checking Brooke's natural reflexes she is sending Brooke to a one-time PT evaluation. The report will be sent to Brooke's neurologist and then hopefully we can close this chapter (as far as appointments go.... The side affects could always be there).

So the last thing we discussed, which was not exactly related to Brooke's condition, was her fear and non-socialization with adults. Brooke does very well with children and she makes friends pretty easy, but flat out refuses to communicate with most adults. We were at a small fair the other day and there was free face painting. Brooke wanted it done but as soon as she sat down with the adult she was crying so the neurologist brought up Occupational therapy but I told her I'd rather not. Instead we will put Brooke in a dance class or gymnastics that she can take take guidance from an adult other than mom or dad.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

There was an increase in incidence of GBS after a swine flu vaccine, but that was in 1976.

Very interesting suja. My daughters condition was not caused by receiving the flu vaccine, it is just highly recommended that she not receive it for a while because she can relapse....all her neurologists words, not mine. Thanks for the info though. I vaccinate my children but we can not be blind to the potential harms of those vaccinations..... There wouldn't be a national vaccination compensation program if they have not found any links at all, kwim?

Because the condition is autoimmune, and vaccines provoke an immune response, it is absolutely the right thing to do, being cautious about future vaccines.