Thread: whining

Default whining

how can i get ds to stop doing it.

he starts within 10 minutes of waking up for the day and does it ALL.DAY.LONG.it is grating my nerves. sometimes its the whining voice while complaining sometimes its the fake crying whining.

he talks all the time and is able to use words to describe what he is feeling but the rest of the time he is whining

thoughts and suggestions are welcome... i have tried nearly every trick in my early childhood teacher book and none of them are working. dh thinks that ds is bored and whining as a result but he whines even when he is engrossed in an activity. he whines when he gets into trouble, he whines when dd potties in her diaper... he just whines. (just this morning he was shining while laughing about going to the library to check out new books.

dd only whines when she is tired hungry or hurting (which seems to be all the time since ds is always being mean to her)

If you've tried a bunch of strategies already, the only thing I can think of that you likely wouldn't have done would be to make a recording of him whining and another one of him not whining and have him listen to them both and talk about how he feels.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Gwenn, that's an awesome idea!!!! I am going to try it. I was thinking it could possibly be age because my 4 year old does it but it is slowly getting better.

Ha! It's a therapy strategy I've used every so often to help kids understand how others perceive them. Whatever works, right?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_modeling
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I like the recording idea....may have to try that one.

I have tried "please use your big girl voice" but really I think it's just unavoidable and I have learned to ignore it for the most part. Mine are old enough to just be told to stop whining...DH uses that one. I try not to say that as much but sometimes it just comes out lol.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I simply say, "Change your voice please." It works here unless they are too deep in their emotions. It really doesn't prevent them from whining again a few minutes later about something new but it helps in the moment.

If he whines about your DD having her diaper changed you can say in a matter of the fact way he also used to wear diapers. If its general then I agree with the others of to suggest he changes his tone. I tell Cody and Sophia the same- Sophia just started the "I don't want to...." or "I just want daddy". James helps all weekend when he is off with Cody and Sophia so I am understanding they do miss him while he's at work. Is he in preschool yet? I wonder if he were in preschool that could help him feel more happy by being around other kids. We have about 8 different schools that do preschool for free within the county as part of the school system but, before Cody's name came up two years ago when he was 4 we went to the YMCA for his preschool. It was only $100 for full price but, we only paid $50 with their financial aid.
    *** Lindsay ***

"I can't hear you when you're whining, want to try again?"
    I have said that at least 4 million times in my life, lol.

i will have to try the recording since some of his whining is wordless moaning and he tells me he does not know why he does it, just that its 'fun'

Lindsay, i would love to send him to a preschool but there are none in this area that are worth a crap. he could easily pass the tests to be in k-5 but because of age they won't let him be in those classes. i did just find out about the montessori magnet program that offered by the school district for the same cost as public schooling but its hard to get into and dh is not really into the idea of him being in the public school district.

tapir, i use that line about 4756418545616 times a day and he responds with the wordless moaning and the fake drying.... oh how i wish that one would work fo me, it works for dh.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    i will have to try the recording since some of his whining is wordless moaning and he tells me he does not know why he does it, just that its 'fun'

Lindsay, i would love to send him to a preschool but there are none in this area that are worth a crap. he could easily pass the tests to be in k-5 but because of age they won't let him be in those classes. i did just find out about the montessori magnet program that offered by the school district for the same cost as public schooling but its hard to get into and dh is not really into the idea of him being in the public school district.

tapir, i use that line about 4756418545616 times a day and he responds with the wordless moaning and the fake drying.... oh how i wish that one would work fo me, it works for dh.
    Aww.. that sucks he wouldn't let him go. I think it would be great for him.
    *** Lindsay ***

I just say "please stop whining" or some variant. I might have some one repeat a request without whining, especially if it seems to be an attitude. Speaking nicely to each other is one of my sticking points. In some instances whining can be just as rude as speaking harshly.