Thread: Party Q

Default Party Q

Cody had his party today I will have to figure out the picture later but, I have questions for a future reference.

A. Do you let your kids be dropped off at parties at age six?

B. Would you want a child you don't know well there without his/ her parent at your party even at home?

One situation IMO was OK my cousin in law is getting a divorce and moved this weekend she asked if it was OK if her children could come without her and their dad. I said it was fine only because I do know her kids she does have two children ages 7 and almost 3 years. They are good as far as listening for the most part but, the oldest tends to be very moody which takes a lot out of me but, I handled it well with James they are family. Then a friend I've know for about a year her daughter is very well behaved and she needs the money her grandparents dropped her off but with 5 kids and only James and I supervising for a chunk was a stretch for us emotionally. Another person I've personally known for a long time but, haven't know their kid outside of his Kindergarten in the winter so its been six months told me straight out if she had to be there the whole time they couldn't come. I don't know her child very well. She's told me herself none of her kids are well behaved so I was leery I told her I was very sorry but, I already had 5 kids (two of our own) with only us two its overwhelming as it is and I'm sorry but, I would need her there.

Was I being unreasonable? MIL and James thinks there is nothing wrong at age 6 for wanting their parents here if we don't know the child outside of school.
    *** Lindsay ***

We have faced this all year with DD for the 4 year old parties!! I feel it is too young at 4 for sure (although we did drop her at one party when I knew other parents -good friends - were staying and were driving her home). I certainly didn't want the responsibility at DD's party so I requested that all of the parents stay, and was a little taken aback when some asked if they were supposed to stay or go. Personally, I don't think that is unreasonable at age 6. That is where I think that perhaps drop off parties could start, but if the host isn't comfortable, then the parents stay or else don't come. I think I am pretty lenient with my kids and with trust issues. But I feel weird dropping DD off somewhere when I will not know any of the supervising adults, and I feel like at 6 even if I do feel more comfortable with it, then it goes to the comfort level of the host and I would respect their wishes.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    We have faced this all year with DD for the 4 year old parties!! I feel it is too young at 4 for sure (although we did drop her at one party when I knew other parents -good friends - were staying and were driving her home). I certainly didn't want the responsibility at DD's party so I requested that all of the parents stay, and was a little taken aback when some asked if they were supposed to stay or go. Personally, I don't think that is unreasonable at age 6. That is where I think that perhaps drop off parties could start, but if the host isn't comfortable, then the parents stay or else don't come. I think I am pretty lenient with my kids and with trust issues. But I feel weird dropping DD off somewhere when I will not know any of the supervising adults, and I feel like at 6 even if I do feel more comfortable with it, then it goes to the comfort level of the host and I would respect their wishes.
    Thanks I was hoping I wasn't asking for too much. Its not like mom and son would have to stay the whole time.
    *** Lindsay ***

No, I do not think you are asking too much. If my child is invited to a party at a home (he is 5), and I do not know the parents, I would not drop them off. If it was at a venue, then maybe. I, also, would not want to be responsible to host a whole group of children that young unless I really knew the parents (which would make me feel comfortable in disciplining them).

I think it is a reasonable request to have the parents present at 6 yo or older birthday parties. It is a private party, not a paid class at the local kid gym, the hosts are busy with entertaining guests, getting food, organizing the entertainment etc. If the hosts cannot watch more some kids, then thats what it is.