Thread: lovies for babies who don't care for snuggy toys

Blog Entries

Default lovies for babies who don't care for snuggy toys

I am working with DS to sleep in his crib and it's going better (as in, he wouldn't sleep there at ALL for quite a while!). He now sleeps the first part of the night in there before coming in with DH and I, and he has napped in his crib for at least part of his naps several times this week. I feel he could use a lovey to help settle sometimes, especially when he wakes up before he's really ready to be awake, but I have tried several items and he hasn't cared for any of them. He wants to snuggle me but has no interest in soft toys. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lovey-type item that isn't a blanket/blanket piece or stuffed toy?

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My youngest has never liked soft toys. He often takes something hard, like a toy car or a plastic figurine or a Lego piece or a Lincoln log to bed with him. It's different all the time. Eventually I realized that he had grown to like the comfort of a hard sippy cup early on, and he probably associated warm sleepy feelings with something hard and plastic feeling.

Have you tried Sophia the giraffe? If hes bf try keeping it the item close to you for a bit and get your mommy love scent on it. Goodluck my daughter was picky in this department too.

Blog Entries

Hmm. I had wondered about hard toys...they aren't too snuggly but I can see how they could still be comforting if the kiddo is attached to them. One of those giraffes is an idea...he hasn't shown a preference for any one toy that we already have though.

DD1 still sleeps with her two favorite blankets, and DD2 wasn't attached to any one item but switched up preferences every couple of weeks.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

One of your shirts or something that smells like you could be an option.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Now that I'm off my phone and can type a little faster, I want to add that none of my kids has ever become very attached to anything. They never liked loveys. My twins loved pacifiers, and that was the main thing they wanted (besides me) to settle them down, and my youngest never settled down ever. On the plus side, we've never had to try to find a substitute for a lost lovey in a hurry because one was lost. My daughter has been trying to develop a little nest of stuffed animals in her bed lately, just as she's about to turn 7, and she wakes up in the middle of the night and gets upset if she can't find one if it's under the covers or she can't find it.

Kids/sleeping and kids/not sleeping are such ever-difficult and ongoing trials, I think. I am always impressed when I hear if someone doesn't seem to have the same levels of difficulty we have had. Good luck to you!

Both of my kids on their own took to burp cloths. But DS also likes to take a hard toy train or car to bed with him, too. He carries the everywhere! Maybe get some Little People? They are plastic, but not quite as hard and no sharp edges you would need to worry about. My nephew just turned 2 and those are his new comfort item - he just wants one at a time, and he will carry one around with him day and night.

Or what about a Glo-Worm? Those have a soft body, but the face is plastic and they will light up/sing/both when you squeeze them. My nephew went through a phase where he slept with a that every night.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My DS has this little knitted square about the size of a washcloth, that has a small bunny head on one corner. The head has a tiny bit of stuffing in it but is pretty much flat. A friend of mine made it for him when I was pregnant. He always sleeps with it jammed down the front of his shirt, like between his skin and his shirt. It cracks me up, but if he's happy that way, then so be it! He never takes it out of his crib though., and gets upset when I try, lol. When my brother was a baby my mom gave him one of his own baby sized t shirts, lol. He called it his "tee." It was small and she was able to buy a few of them so she could switch them out to wash without him noticing. I remember him being so excited when he actually got to wear one, lol.
    Jennifer

My son loved bears and still does but, my daughter never took to anything like that she just wants to suck her thumb at night or if she's really upset. One thing she asks for now she's 2.5 she loves ponies so she wants her little pony in with her so we do that and it usually ends up outside of her crib at some point but, its a comfort. So maybe a very small toy that he like even if its not the typical soft and cuddly or the shirt or piece of cloth idea is good too. GL
    *** Lindsay ***