Thread: Mirena experiences?

Default Mirena experiences?

I am really considering Mirena. We aren't looking to have another baby for at least three years from now as I'm in grad school for nursing now. I don't know anyone close who has personally used Mirena, so I'm just curious if any of you ladies could share how your experience was or has been with it if you have had a Mirena IUD in the past or currently have one placed.
    Any issues with headaches? Cramping?

I tend to have problems with headaches when on birth control, but it has always been with those that also contain estrogen.
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

i dont personally have any experience with mirena, i have a couple friends who love it, and one how didn't at all.

Weren't you getting your masters in something else? i didnt remember it being nursing!

Yep, you remember correctly! I got a MS in Microbiology, graduated 2 years ago and worked in a research lab since then. Just jumped back in and am now in a masters in nursing program for advanced practice nursing with a specialty in midwifery.

Mirena has a hormone in it similar to Progesterone which I had a bad reaction to with it only being Progesterone. I tend to say its the same with shot just longer term IMO. I had the same problems, weight gain, headaches, terrible moodiness, spotting off and on and sometimes the spotting though not harmful would just be annoying all the time crap. I do better with the combination birth control. I have PCOS and take YAZ I was on a different birth control for about 3 months and hated it so I went back to YAZ. The Copper IUD has the same benefit of the Mirena being long term just no hormones and I've read where its safe if a woman smokes or is older than 35 when I see you are only 26. Good luck with your schooling!
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by Volura View Post
    Yep, you remember correctly! I got a MS in Microbiology, graduated 2 years ago and worked in a research lab since then. Just jumped back in and am now in a masters in nursing program for advanced practice nursing with a specialty in midwifery.
    It sounds like an awesome program!
    *** Lindsay ***

Thanks! I start clinicals late August!
    I used the Depo shot when I was around 18 for awhile and that worked well for me, so I am thinking it would be similar. I had no periods at all starting about four months in. I had a lot of problems with headaches with Nuvaring, which is a combo, and am horrible with pills.
    So, basically it's down to nothing (which is what it's been - condoms), or the IUD options. The one thing that makes me lean away from the copper IUD is the possible heavier periods. I have no desire for that!!

Oh yea, I need to update my siggy! I'm 28 now haha, though that's not much different!

I had Mirena twice and loved it both times! No problems whatsoever.

I had 2 consecutive Mirenas for a total for 7 years straight. I Loved it. Only had slight cramping with the first one for a couple weeks. No periods, only breakthrough bleeding once every 3-4 months.

When we were ready to ttc my periods were much lighter than before Mirena and I was concerned that it would be insufficient to support a pg. After about 8 months of solid trying we caught a egg!

I think it's awesome that you're going to be a MW. I had one for my pg and delivery and it was the best decision ever.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Awesome, thanks for letting me know!
    My DH's employer just switched insurance providers, hoping the coverage will be decent for an IUD. Guess I will be looking into that this weekend!

Thanks Natalie! I am looking forward to it! It has been something I wanted to do for the past six years, but I just kept stalling on the idea (AKA chickening out?).

I've had Mirena for a little over a year now. I had cramping for the first few weeks. Periods were normal for about 8 months and then pretty much stopped. I haven't been overly moody, which is what I worried about. I was on the pill for 10 years and decided I was tired of taking them everyday! I also wanted to mention that your insurance should fully cover Mirena because it is birtth control. That is one of Obamacare's policies. I had to pay a few copays for dr visits before and after insertion.

I had the mirena after I had Preston with no problems at all.

I think it's hit or miss with mirena, honestly. I've had it twice. The first time I had it, i HATED it. I had constant headaches and spotting. I (reluctantly) got it again after I had my daughter. No adverse reactions, no constant headaches and I have only had two periods since last September.
    DD 05/14/2013

I had mirena placed when I was 3 months pp with DD. Worst month of my life. Never ever stopped spotting/bleeding until it was removed. I was angry, moody, snapping at DH and kids. I felt out of control and could not figure it out. I thought I had a major postpartum imbalance happening until I researched mirena. I had it removed just barely 4 weeks after placement. My bleeding stopped and within a couple days I felt like "me" again. I think it is different for every women. Like your body's own personal reaction. Good luck!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I had the Mirena for 10 months after I had my DD and before I got my tubal. I liked the Mirena and would have kept it had I not gotten a tubal. I spotted for the first month and a little during the time of my period the second month. After the second month I stopped spotting or bleeding all together. No cramps and I noticed no excessive moodiness or out of the ordinary emotions.

I hated every minute of it and got it removed after about 9 months. Constant spotting, headaches, moodiness, depression, the works. After I got it removed my symptoms disappeared within a week. I was horrible for me.