Thread: where would you go for medical care?

Default where would you go for medical care?

DS developed a rash on his bum over the weekend. He is not in diapers, and DH put jean shorts on his with no underwear on one of the hottest days, so I thought maybe it was irritation. I put some coconut oil over it, and it looked better in the morning on Monday. It looked the same on Tuesday. Today, he has 2 big pimples, one where his underwear is, but then another on his thigh, so it appears to be spreading, or they are bug bites. DS is not at all bothered by the bumps/rash.

We just moved. Our old pediatrician is now 45 minutes away without traffic. We have a well visit already scheduled at the end of the month. If I see his pedi for this rash, I can't leave here until 2, which means, I'm looking at least an hour commute home. I am really busy with my job (I work from home) and can't really stand to lose so much time driving.

THe other option is using a clinic at Walgreens, which is closer. I would not hit traffic, either, since it's mostly back roads.

Part of me feels like I should do the convenient one, but I wonder about their expertise. Plus, DS has had some skin issues in the past. OTOH, I often feel that pediatricians at our office have not been 100% sure when we have brought kids in with different skin issues.

WWYD?

I would ignore it. If it is not bothering him you can keep up with coconut oil and just watch it...
    That said, I think the docs at the "doc in the box" clinics generally SUCK for kid things. I would never ever recommend someone go to one. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    I would ignore it. If it is not bothering him you can keep up with coconut oil and just watch it...
    That said, I think the docs at the "doc in the box" clinics generally SUCK for kid things. I would never ever recommend someone go to one. JMHO.
    I agree with this especially for a rash.
    *** Lindsay ***

I agree with a Tapir in that those pharmacy/clinics are a complete waste of time.
    I'd also hold off on taking him in and maybe add some tea tree to the coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Thanks. I am afraid to wait, though. Next week, I am working full-time from home over 40 hours, and I really can't take time off (I am taking over for someone temporarily) and then the following week is his well visit. He has had other skin issues..impetigo, and some other that I don't remember.

I will keep up with the coconut oil and add some tea tree, too.

i'd also wait, it's unlikely that even the pediatrician could dx 2 bumps unless there is something very distinguished about them, which it sounds like there is not. Tea tree is antibiotic, so if it's impetigo it should keep it in check. or you could put some OTC antibiotic ointment on it.

I'd watch it and wait until something more develops.

I agree with the watch and wait responses.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I took DD to a Walgreens clinic one time and they misdiagnosed her. Luckily I followed up with her pedi 2 days later (when there was no improvement) so we caught it.

I agree wait and see what happens. Hopefully it is just bug bites or some minor irritation that will clear up.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I would first call the new peds office and see if they can get him in sooner. They should have spots for urgent matters. My next option would be to see if they have an urgent care clinic....staffed by good family med providers. The system I use has a peds department in addition to family med and urgent care.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

for a rash like you describe.. i would wait it out. my pedi always responds with "put vasleine on it" so i hesitate to go there for skin rashes unless they are bad and dr google worries me and you ladies can't help......
    for other stuff i use dr google to get ideas on whats going on and if i think an antibiotic is needed i will visit the clinic attached to walmart (its provided by one of the local hospital so not funded by wally world) since they can do abx and what not. but if i have not got a clue whats wrong i will make an appt with the regular dr. they usually have a better idea how to diagnose and can look at med history to get a better idea of whats is going on.

I would also wait.

What are your plans in terms of pedis? Do you plan to stay with the old one 45 mins away? If not I would start to research closer real pedi options.

I would not bother with a clinic I would just start to look for a closer pedi for these situations. Or a walk in? Do you have those? We have child walk ins and also adult walk ins that I have brought my kids to if it was after hours.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

So we are now waiting. I realized last night that I have to change their well-visit since that is the week they will be in camp, and I forgot to call today. So far it is not spreading at all, and I still haven't seen him scratch or anything.

I went to a nearby clinic myself and I was not horribly impressed. I only went to get stitches out. There is another new urgent care connected to a hospital nearby, so that could be an option.

I do plan on switching peds, I think. It took us forever to find this one. We selectively vaccinate, and we do not typically run to the doc for anything. (With this, I was concerned because DS had a staph infection before, and some other issue, and I know I can't get in next week with my work schedule). My plan is to ask our current pedi if he would recommend anyone way out here. I don't really know anyone well enough out this way to ask. Even with my friends in my old neighborhood, they were all very pro-vaccinations (even my crunchier friends) and just had different beliefs about medical decisions than I hold, so I didnt even trust their recommendations. I have no idea how to find a pediatrician who is ok with our choices, will listen to us/have a conversation with us, and not be alarmist with any potential issues. We went through 4 or 5 before finding this one.