Thread: What do 4 year olds play with?

Default What do 4 year olds play with?

I'm going through my daughters toys and realize that she doesn't play with 95% of them so I want to get rid of them. But then I think, what will a play with? What does she play with? She's only 3.5 years old right now but I'm trying to plan for Xmas and her bday. She's into her baby dolls, play kitchen, and tracing letters/numbers. She's also into dress up and singing along with let it go from frozen...over and over and over!!! She's in school all week and I've noticed that she likes to pretend she's the teacher at home and me and DH are her students and then she does all of the stuff they do at school. So I got her a big calendar like the one at school and I also got a big world map because she points to the continents and names them on an imaginary map. I also printed out tracing letter and numbers and put them in a 3-ring binder for her...she loves it!

So I want to get her things similar to what schools have. (When I was a kid I wanted everything my school had too...man she's just like me!!) but what do schools have? What will she be learning at 4 years old?

She's also really into reading and asking how to spell words.

sounds like you got some good stuff that she loves... what about a desk for her to sit at while working? maybe a table/chair set that she can put a stuffed animal class at and pretend to teach them? a chalk board or dry erase board that would be perfect height for her to stand and write on (as if she were the teacher writing the assignments on the board) and chalk or dry erase markers, a bulletin board that she would be able to decorate like teachers do. for a few teacher/classroom ideas.

my ds loves his gears sets (found on amazon) as well as the magformers and lego duplos. he likes the pretend and play kitchen stuff and books.
    for his b-day he got a bike and a scooter and he will not leave those alone. he wants to ride his bike in the house all day long.

Mine is very artsy-craftsy. So, we have tons of stuff along those lines - sticky jewels, construction paper in different colors, stamps, pipe cleaners, pom poms, crayons, water colors, markers, glitter, glue, glitter glue. She is also into experiments, which mostly involve 'What happens when I do X' or 'What happens when I mix X with Y' type of stuff. A couple of books I like for her, are the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161180065X/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1440570779/

She also likes building, so she has blocks (just plain wooden), and Imaginets, that get played with a lot. She is also getting into games, so we have stuff like Cooties, Don't Break the Ice, Operation, Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Uno, Crazy 8s, Old Maid, etc.

If she is into spelling, she might benefit from the Bob books: http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-...dp/0439845009/
    Last edited by Suja; 07-16-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Oh yeah, she has a table and chairs and lots of dry erase markers and a chalk board. She has a bike but isn't that in to yet and she also has Legos. She does seem too creative yet...I'd like to encourage her creative side but I don't have a creative bone in me!! So I have a hard time enhancing her imagination bc I don't have one lol. Oh and she is totally in to painting too. She loves card games.... We were playing a million hands of crazy 8's and go fish every night before bed for a few months!!

Good suggestions!!! I like those books, that'll help me use my imagination too! I've been eyeing those bob books for some time now.

My DD (4 1/2) loves puzzles. She likes the big floor puzzles that have about 24 pieces. She is also obsessed with anything princess, but there won't be too much of that at school. We also do a lot of arts and crafts and coloring around here.

DD also has this dollhouse. She has gone in phases with it, but lately it's been getting a lot of action again. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L...ords=dollhouse There is a smaller version, too.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My 4 year old is obsessed with playdough and basically creating things in general. We make our own and sometimes she totally loses herself in it for 2 hours at a time. I think she would love simple things like chunky beads and a ball of yarn to make her own jewelry as well. She also really loves crayons/markers kind of stuff. She prefers all this kind of stuff to actual toys. The only toys she really plays with are DH's micro machines from when he was a kid, the old Little People schoolhouse that I used to play with at my grandma's house when I was a kid, and these wooden magnetic dolls I got them for Christmas. Sometimes she likes to play with our Princess Little People but that's pretty rare.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My 4-year-old loves all kinds of things. He loves pretend games. He loves dress-up, the play kitchen, puppets, racing around and pretending to rescue things or being rescued, telling me stories, taking turns telling stories.

We will sometimes have him tell us a story (or we can play that game where one person says a line and ends it on kind of a cliff-hanger, and the next person says the next sentence in the story), and I will type it down or write it down, and we can draw pictures or figure out other ways to illustrate it and make a little book out of it. It's fun for him to be published.

He likes Legos, Magnatiles, putting together train tracks in creative ways and rolling trains along them. He plays with cars. He loves painting, and for no-mess, in-the-car activities he can spend a lot of time with the color-with-water books (like this: https://creativekidstuff.com/store/c...-coloring-book).

Since you already have the dry erase markers what about crayons and coloring books? There are an abundance of coloring books at the Dollar Tree they also have some great Pre-K and K workbooks. If you don't have a Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart is also a good choice to find those things. Now Crayola has tons of different kits that have felt posters with various Disney characters so if creativity isn't there its OK she can color in the lines to build hand / eye coordination.
    *** Lindsay ***

She did go through a phase of playng with playdoh a lot but it was more like me making stuff and her taking it apart lol. She never would just play with it on her own. She has crayons and coloring books too. I do wanna get the pre-k workbooks.... Good idea! It's super annoying for me to have her do puzzles bc every.single.piece she says "where does this go" and it drives me crazy!!! She does have a couple if puzzles that she can do on her own but she doesn't ever play with them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    She did go through a phase of playng with playdoh a lot but it was more like me making stuff and her taking it apart lol. She never would just play with it on her own. She has crayons and coloring books too. I do wanna get the pre-k workbooks.... Good idea! It's super annoying for me to have her do puzzles bc every.single.piece she says "where does this go" and it drives me crazy!!! She does have a couple if puzzles that she can do on her own but she doesn't ever play with them anymore.

My kids' favorite thing to do with play-doh is make food. We make meals, and they cook it for me in their play kitchen. I don't love them to play unsupervised because they make a mess. Recently, they have been. They loved making tracks with their monster trucks and other cars, and just using the different tools to explore.

DS1 was like that with puzzles. I would just show him, and he eventually got it.

One thing that my kids have enjoyed is musical instruments and their little radios. They've enjoyed that stuff from birth until 5. The types of instruments change as they age, but both kids enjoy their guitars, drumset, and keyboard at 3 and 5.

Legos, hot wheels with tracks, blocks of all sorts, pretty much anything that they can use for building. Marble sets are a good one too, you can use the big marbles if your little one likes to put stuff in their mouth. Magnatiles are a bit pricey but they are great for kids of all ages, my 4 year old is a big fan. Dress-up stuff is also good. Not just princess stuff, but get like certain job skill ones with accessories. Like police, doctor, construction worker, etc. Both of my kids love to pretend being heroes, princesses, and workers.

Once they turn 4 they change a lot. It's a big step from them being a cute toddler to being more of a preschool. It's like they're a KID now not just a cute baby. LOL

You could also get your little one some adventures. My 4 year old is more into doing things, not necessarily just playing with toys. Like the zoo, children's museum, etc. If you get a membership, you can go often, makes a great gift and something to stimulate that creative mind.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)