Thread: Postpartum swelling

Default Postpartum swelling

So I'm 9 days PP (!) and I still have swelling in my feet and minorly in my legs. I had a natural birth with only 2 L of IV fluids--so I don't really think that this swelling is really from that...

I had ridiculously swelling in my legs until 2 days ago and it's 95% resolved. But my feet and ankles are still third trimester swollen. It's uncomfortable and I can't wear shoes (thank goodness for crocs hahaha ) socks are iffy.

Of course I did the worst thing and asked Dr. Google and the results were a little too scary for my taste. I'm going to call my mw office today but I was just wondering if there was any of you that experienced prolonged swelling...

ETA: Would gallbladder issues cause or exacerbate swelling? I was DX on Saturday night with gallstones and have been having some issues with that.
    Last edited by Geneari; 07-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I did with DD, but I also had IVs with 2 blood transfusions, the second one being 9 days PP. I know it had not gone down at all before the second transfusion, and it took a while for me after the second one. I had bad swelling from about 27 weeks on where I couldn't wear shoes. I don't remember for sure, but I feel like maybe around my 6 week checkup was when mine finally started to go down. I would check with your doctor, though, just in case. I was monitored a little more right after giving birth because of my blood transfusions.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I have had swelling that lasted about 2 weeks PP with all three of my kiddos. I had 3 C-sections though, two of which I got blood transfusions for so it's probably not a great comparison.

It takes awhile for your body to get rid of the extra fluid from pg and at only 9 days out (a rough 9 days at that!) I'd think you're still within the normal time frame for that . Also, your blood vessels may still be a bit relaxed/dilated so it's harder for them to move the fluid out of your extremeties. Have you had any pp sweats yet? I tend to have mild swelling pp, but then I'll wake up drenched in sweat for about 3 nights, and no more swelling

Staying hydrated, short/daily walks, and keeping your feet elevated should help the process along. My midwife recommended nettle tea pp...said it helps with milk supply and is a good natural/mild diuretic (it may actually be an ingredient in Mother's Milkntea from Traditional Medicinals...can't remember, but I know it's in their pg tea).

As long as the swelling didn't come on suddenly, doesn't involve your face, and you aren't having severe headaches or it's not localized and painful, it's not likely to be anything serious. At least not that I know of...glad you're putting in a call to your mw...kup!

Thinking of you !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Good call, Kelly, I don't recall any noteworthy PP swelling but I do remember the sweats!! I would wake up drenched in sweat, so I guess that's where it all went.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

i had c/s, so that is my only frame of reference, but i definitely had significant swelling into the second week PP with a few of them. i can remember my feet being so swollen they felt heavy.

I agree with kelly, drink lots, put your feet up as much as possible. Hopefully talking to your MW will put your mind at ease.

Congrats on your beautiful baby daughter!

With Cody I had swelling for 1.5 weeks PP it was really awful. The nurse told me to prop my feet up as often as I could. I also did walk a lot too (but slowly). Abigail is adorable btw! I did have an epidural and IV antibiotics for GBS both births were vaginal.
    *** Lindsay ***

I had elevated bp around noon, 146/85 and the swelling is painful to the touch. I have an appt later today. I have to stay healthy for my sweet girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I had elevated bp around noon, 146/85 and the swelling is painful to the touch. I have an appt later today. I have to stay healthy for my sweet girl.
    Good luck at your appt. Thinking of you.
    *** Lindsay ***

I would definitely keep an eye on it especially because of the high BP but I also had more swelling after than I did while I was pg. I was just on my feet too much and not resting.

Stay hydrated and get some rest but also keep an eye on this. If it's painful to touch I would think it's something to get checked out.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

I hope it's just extra fluids...Good luck at the Dr. and congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)