Thread: Sticky Sweet Cartoon

Question Sticky Sweet Cartoon

Is anyone in the same boat of the ridiculously sticky sweet cartoons that get on your nerves but, you deal with them for the kids?
    I have about three in particular that just make me wanna barf: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (I allow it because of manners and such), Sofia the First (Again.. the whole feelings/ manners), Carebears (same as above with the manners). Just curious if I'm the only one that thinks they are sticky sweet but, I truly know my kids like them and there isn't a reason to fuss about it. Even if its not those in particular just any others?
    I feel so mean so not liking cartoons.
    *** Lindsay ***

I actually really like Daniel Tiger. We use some of his songs to get through some problems around here - like counting and breathing before losing your temper... And I think I am a sucker for the reminiscent aspect as it is all based off of the Mr. Roger's Land of Make Believe. I could take or leave Sofia, but there are definitely worse shows out there that I try to avoid at all costs with DD. The problem now is that Xfinity puts pictures up for the shows, so if we are scrolling through or trying to skip over something, DD will see it and want to watch. Like Calliou. Ugh. That is one I REALLY don't like!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I dont know any of those shows, but now i have motley crue in my head

We dont have any network tv, so the only stuff DD watches is from netflix or you tube. She's crazy about teletubbies right now, and that is one of the dumbest shows ever. my oldest thinks the writers must all be taking LSD.

forgot to say that Calliou is the absolute worst, whiniest cartoon eveh! I didnt allow it!

I have a friend who was shocked that my 1 year old doesn't watch TV. I tried to explain to her that if he watches those shows--then *I* have to watch them too! So I'm avoiding as long as possible lol.

I forget the name of it, but that show with the bunny sister and brother who have no parents is the worst one I can remember from my babysitting days.

Quote Originally Posted by kmrk336 View Post
    I have a friend who was shocked that my 1 year old doesn't watch TV. I tried to explain to her that if he watches those shows--then *I* have to watch them too! So I'm avoiding as long as possible lol.

I forget the name of it, but that show with the bunny sister and brother who have no parents is the worst one I can remember from my babysitting days.
    Max & Ruby! That is a favorite around here and falls under the super annoying category as well! Although it was not so annoying when DD3 skipped her nap yesterday and I had to finish showering and getting ready for a formal party lol.

Am I the only one who doesn't actually sit and watch with the kids? I use it as an opportunity to get something done or just have some time to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Max & Ruby! That is a favorite around here and falls under the super annoying category as well! Although it was not so annoying when DD3 skipped her nap yesterday and I had to finish showering and getting ready for a formal party lol.

Am I the only one who doesn't actually sit and watch with the kids? I use it as an opportunity to get something done or just have some time to myself.
    no way, when i have time to spend with the kids we dont watch TV! TV for my littlest is a chance for her to have down time/quiet time and let everyone else get something done. usually only when she's being super whiney and unhappy when im busy or not home.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    I actually really like Daniel Tiger. We use some of his songs to get through some problems around here - like counting and breathing before losing your temper... And I think I am a sucker for the reminiscent aspect as it is all based off of the Mr. Roger's Land of Make Believe. I could take or leave Sofia, but there are definitely worse shows out there that I try to avoid at all costs with DD. The problem now is that Xfinity puts pictures up for the shows, so if we are scrolling through or trying to skip over something, DD will see it and want to watch. Like Calliou. Ugh. That is one I REALLY don't like!
    Oh.. I forgot about that one his voice is so high pitched and squeaky. We have Netflixs so Calliou is on there along with Daniel Tiger, Sofia isn't but, they see it at my MIL's house and before we cut cable. I can tolerate it a bit more than the others we might get Direct TV because I'm missing my ABC Family shows
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post

I do watch some with my kids. We tend to watch a show both kids like (they take turns most of the time) and then I'll put on one that's kid safe like I Love Lucy- both kids actually like it. The kids actually don't fuss with Everyone Loves Raymond and don't understand the adult humor. I also use the time to get things done too, it depends on the day.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 07-14-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

Just popping in to say that I am not bothered by Calliou at all. He seems like a pretty good four year old. All of his thoughts and emotions are verbalized which I think is helpful for kids.

My kids do not routinely watch any carton. The max TV they watch is 45 minutes and they have to ask and it has to be after quiet time - they usually forget to ask and maybe watch TV three times a week. They get to pick from our DVDs so usually watch a VeggieTales. VeggieTales are pretty amusing for adults, too, at least I think so. We do not have cable, dish, NetFlix, etc, so I am not familiar with the shows you mentioned. I am familiar with some of the PBS ones, though.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Just popping in to say that I am not bothered by Calliou at all. He seems like a pretty good four year old. All of his thoughts and emotions are verbalized which I think is helpful for kids.

My kids do not routinely watch any carton. The max TV they watch is 45 minutes and they have to ask and it has to be after quiet time - they usually forget to ask and maybe watch TV three times a week. They get to pick from our DVDs so usually watch a VeggieTales. VeggieTales are pretty amusing for adults, too, at least I think so. We do not have cable, dish, NetFlix, etc, so I am not familiar with the shows you mentioned. I am familiar with some of the PBS ones, though.
    This is why I allow for it but, its just his voice. I know boys have higher pitched voices but, most boys I know don't seem to be that high pitched.
    *** Lindsay ***

I don't usually sit and watch either, but from time to time DD will ask me to watch with her. I also try and watch either before or the first time with the kids to see if it is something I am okay with. We pretty much stick to PBS, Sprout and Disney Jr (occasional Nick Jr) so they are usually pretty safe. And I pick up some of it as I am cleaning around the kids/jumping out of the shower/etc. We try and do other things as well when I have the time - but my DD can get totally lost in a show, so it makes a great distraction during DS's nap when I really have to get stuff done!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I love Daniel Tiger too. I learned pretty early on to not let the kids watch shows I can't stand. For example, Dora the Explorer drives me nuts so we never watch it!

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

We only have Netflix and amazon prime but we end up watching caillou quite a bit. My 2 yr old is scared of other shows that my 4 yr old would like to watch (like my little pony lol!) haha... So caillou it is

The funny thing about all of this is my husband doesn't mind any of them.
    *** Lindsay ***

We don't really watch tv at our house. But every great once in a while, DS will watch Thomas and Friends on Netflix or YouTube. I think the stories have great morals to them, but he doesn't really understand them yet I don't think. Other than Thomas he has no interest in the tv either, he'd rather be outside, lol.
    Jennifer

My little pony and blue's clues! Dd2 won't watch anything else atm. Dd1 is into Lazy Town which I love. I don't mind them watching these cartoons/shows as they are friendly and have good messages. But when they get stuck on one episode on repeat - well, does get annoying lol