Thread: What do you do to beat the heat?

Default What do you do to beat the heat?

It is getting to that point in the summer where the heat and humidity is unbearable. We went out to the park this morning and we barely lasted an hour.
    Where do you go, or what do you do in the summer when its too hot to go out?

We have an annual pass to the local Science Center, which is great. The girls have a fairly large climbing/slide structure in their playroom. There is an free indoor playground in our neighboring town. Other than that, I am out of ideas.

Oh, forgot to mention: CHEAP or FREE suggestions!

I would love to take them to an indoor pool, but I am not comfortable with taking two small children and a baby by myself.

I tend to stay inside all summer, because the car gets so hot if I go anywhere cool, all the relief is gone by the time I've driven home! So I only go out at night. That wouldn't work with active girls, though.

Around here, a lot of people go to the mall because it is air conditioned. Those play areas creep me out, but if they are reasonably clean where you are I'd consider it.

Other than that, can you get a kiddie pool and splash around in the yard? Set up a sprinkler and run through it? Wash the car? Take a really long bath indoors? (I guess I'm stuck on water).
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Kiddie pools, sprinkler, squirt bottles, slip-n-slide, water table and lots of cups and toys to play in it with. We have tons of fun right in our own yard!
    ~Andrea~

We will try and hit a park first thing in the morning before it is too hot - but I know there are days where even then it is too much. Then we also stick with lots of water activities in the yard - like the ones mentioned above. Do you have any public parks with sprinklers? We have them all around Chicago and used to frequent those. I would stand where I got misted on the hot days so we were all cool And we have some good indoor mall play areas so we will go to those as well. Right near us there is a farm that is open to the public. There is a little inside area with some activities for kids (a grocery wagon to climb on, some baskets and plastic eggs where the kids can collect and sort them, a cow to "milk", etc. That is all free and they have a/c, so we have gone there on hot days. Maybe look and see if there is anything like that nearby?

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

a local splash pad is fun for a couple hours, we also have a kiddie wading pool that the kids love to splash in. we also do like pp's have said with sprinklers and water squirter fights and such. we also stay in the house and dance to music and tumble on the carpet... i put a bunch of balls in the kiddie pool and they have their own ball pit. we read books watch movies, play playdough and paint, i have even let them use their trikes in the house... we have old hardwood floors that need replacing so it does not matter if they scratch them.

Mother nature in Indiana tends to be very moody. If you've been here you get it. Yesterday it was about 94 but, with the heat index it was about 100 not unusual for this time of the year. Cody and Sophia helped James outside yesterday before it got to be that steaming hot. They wore hats and had sunscreen head to toe. Around noon they came inside after we took a break for errands and lunch then, Sophia took a nap. So we do activities outside during the daytime. We've had several more mild days this summer so we've been outside to play with chalk. Last summer we were inside a lot because the heat index spiked above 100-115 Sad to say we watched TV maybe a tad too much. The kids were over at my MIL's house often playing over there because we had a lot of things to do with Habitat. A few other things we do are : go to the library (free), go to the mall (free) our has an indoor play area, some things we don't do as often that can be more cheap are: The old theater it used to be dubbed as the $2 theater but, they had to remodel to survive but, its still cheaper because they play movies that are later the tickets are $5 per person instead of $10 and discounts once a week for families - not all cities have them but, I know some do. Museums here want a small donation but, its not required and typically they are don't make a fuss if you can't make a big donation. I am not sure if your community has small neighborhood pools but the ones that are smaller per neighborhood cost about $6 for a family of 4. I did just see where you said you might not be comfortable with the pool some of our pools are max of 2 feet deep for the kiddie select so that might be an option for your smaller kids.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 07-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***

Ugh I hate the heat. I am bad with this. Right now DD1 is in a sports camp from 9-12. While she is there sometimes I take the other 2 to a park. When I pick her up at 12 we go home and have lunch and I put the baby down for a nap. That is where I get stuck. I can't leave and I hate the heat and don't want to go outside and they play off my mood and wont go either so we just lay around in the AC and I feel terrible about it! DH gets home at 4 and then we all perk up and either go outside or go to the beach or pool and have dinner there or I cook dinner/grill and we eat outside.

So I am stalking! I need ideas for being trapped at home...... at least 2 afternoons my mom takes the older 2 and brings them to her condo pool Love that!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

We stay home! I get sick when it gets too hot, so we have not been going to parks. I will take them to a shady park for a little while. We go tot he mall, out for ice cream, children's museum (and we have plans for other museums this summer), shopping, library. We visit different libraries for something new, and many libraries offer children's programs. We also will be trying to set up some playdates.

When we play outside, I usually sit in the shade or splash in the kiddie pool, use the hose, or throw water balloons.

We go to the beach. I'm on high alert with 3 alone too so I understand. Luckily my 3 yo really just likes to get his toes wet and run along the shoreline. My 7 and 8 yo are really conscientious of rules while swimming.
    on days we stay home, they find ways to get wet with garden hose, water balloons, water guns, etc.
    We also spend a lot of time at the library, at least twice a week for a couple of hours.

Blog Entries

My problem is that I am currently incredibly sun sensitive and sunscreen sensitive (the last one that I tried out didn't make me itchy but I got sunburn followed by hives). I also get ill in heat as does my DS1.

So, we stay home a lot lately, too. On cooler days we go to the zoo or play in the yard. The mall is close and there is also an indoor play area with multiple swing sets and trampolines that have free time on Wednesdays and Fridays (it is a display area and they want you to try them out so that you want to buy one). The kids love a little pool or sprinkler so we do that sometimes but usually only on days that it isn't me having to take them outside.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Our library has free passes you can get for a bunch of different museums, including the children's museum. We spend the majority of the day at the pool--but I only have my one little guy so it's easy.

My kids love kiddie pool and sprinklers in our yard...both of those are very cheap and provide hours of entertainment. Our heat hasn't been too bad (often <80) so we have been able to go playgrounds, walks etc

Also, if you can splurge on a membership to your childrens museum, most of them are reciprocal, including science and industry museums nation wide. Last year we went to every museum in a 60 mile radius and got in free to most, 1/2 price for a few. Best investment ever.

Matthew and I had a lot of fun two days ago taking turns splashing each other with the water hose. We played a ninja game (he is into ninjas right now) where one of us had the hose (ninja spray or something like that) and the other person would try to hit the person with the hose with a ninja bomb (aka little tykes basketball - soft). We had a lot of fun and once we were soaked it felt nice outside

We live in Hawaii, so its always way too hot, lol. We play in the backyard with the sprinkler, and try to go to the playground or for walks earlier in the day before it gets too unbearably hot or in the evening before dinner, once its started to cool down a bit. We also go to the library to read books regularly, and walks in the mall just to get out sometimes. DS loves to throw rocks in the water at the beach. We have a pool in our complex, but we've never actually been, but I've been thinking about checking it out. DS is almost 2, so he's still a little young for any of the museums around here. We have a playgroup that meets inside that we go to a few days a week as well. Maybe see if there is anything like that in your area?
    Jennifer

Free stuff: check your local libraries for children's story time/ circle time, find out if they offer a summer reading program. We are doing one and for every 5 books my kids get a coupon (free water park admission, roller skating admission and rental, free individual pizza, tall Starbucks, public pool swim) also free: find out if your local school district is offering a summer free lunch program hosted at either the parks or library (for anyone under 18, no income proof necessary). Between my town and the one next to us we have 12 options for play time and free lunch ( wonderful not worrying about what food to pack for 3 littles!) a few of our parks hosting free lunch have splash pads so it is fun for the kids.

Inexpensive: DIY: google backyard water park or PVC water park and build your own water fun! PVC piping is fairly inexpensive (this really will not break the bank) and you make your own design and your kiddos help with the fun things to attach.

ETA: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JRR_H-1ImR...water+park.jpg

This looks amazing and it was all from a home improvement trip
    http://eventhorizons.wordpress.com/2...prinkler-park/
    Last edited by Brittany_Dawn; 07-15-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Colored rice, diy sand and water play in sand and water table on our balcony. Swimming pools and going out when the heat is not yet too bad (before 10 am).

That's for outdoors. For indoors we have tons of books, coloring pages we get off of Internet or I make myself on picmonkey.com or canva.com, toys, pots and other unbreakable cutlery to play with.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! I forgot to put down the library and parent resource center!
    I googled for a splash park in our neighboring town and we do have one that's free! How cool! I also forgot about the weekly Regal $1 movies.
    We have an annual pass for the Science Center and that came with discounts to other places. I'll have to look up the list.

Yesterday we went to the Regal $1 summer movie, and then went to a new splash park (free!). It was so fun! I had forgotten about the summer movies, and would not have even thought to look for a splash park without this thread.
    Thanks, ladies! We will be doing some of the other things suggested here, too.